Atlas EQ-G Tuneup

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Yedgy

Yedgy

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ, USA

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

Can anyone point me toward some reputable businesses that can clean/inspect/regrease my mount's innards and upgrade the bearings and other components?

Thanks!
Tony

#2 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

Telescope Stability Systems has a good reputation.

#3 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

You might contact Doc Clay and see what he can do for you. He can sure make a CGE a good performer.

David

#4 Yedgy

Yedgy

Viking 1

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:52 PM

Has anybody here had an Atlas "hypertuned" by Telescope Stability Systems? How long did it take and how happy are you that you had the work done?

Thanks!

#5 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: StonyHill Observatory

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

Yedgy,

You've got a PM.........

I purchased my parts through Tim at TSS and have had a CGE tuned by Doc Clay. Both high quality people and operations although the TSS tuneup is a bit expensive but that's JMO....

#6 Bradley B

Bradley B

Messenger

• Loc: Sacramento, California

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

I don't want this to be seen as vendor bashing, but over on the TSS-Yahoo forum, it seems that the owner of TSS has been pretty non-responsive over the past several months.

Everything might be okay now, but just be careful out there.

#7 lawrie

lawrie

Vanguard

• Loc: Okanagan Valley

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:27 PM

Has anybody used their (TSS) CD on how to tune up the mount?

#8 Yedgy

Yedgy

Viking 1

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:32 PM

Thanks, folks! It looks like I have a few options to consider.

Bradley, thanks for posting links to the McMaster-Carr thumbscrews a while back! They look great and I just ordered a set to replace those dangblasted toggle bolts.

Tony

#9 Jeffrey Sugden

Jeffrey Sugden

Viking 1

• Loc: Akron, OH

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:36 PM

Has anybody used their (TSS) CD on how to tune up the mount?

Yes. I also got the replacement bearings and spacer kit from TSS. All shipped quickly (RA tapered bearing was back-ordered and I received it the following week). The DVD is great.

Next on my list is to do the latitude adjustment mod.

All in all, this is a great resource for a DIY tuneup!

#10 lawrie

lawrie

Vanguard

• Loc: Okanagan Valley

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hey Jeff, have you done the upgrade yet, which bearings did you use?

#11 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:43 AM

The last few months have been a bit rough for Tim. He was working through a personal issue but when I last talked to him things were getting back to "Normal". If your doing the tune up the best choice when doing the mount would be a full bearing upgrade and using the 9 ball ceramic worm bearings. The CW shaft upgrade for a DIY is NOT cheap unless you already have access to the bit and tap that is needed for the shaft as well as the bit needed to drill out the CW's or a friend with a drill press and the required bits and tap. Having purchased the correct bits and tap I can tell you it's NOT CHEAP ;) I paid $148 for all 3.

The DVD is very helpful but will not replace mechanical skills, the tools needed and clean working techniques. The more care taken when rebuilding the mount the better it will operate.

Here is the CW shaft. The weights are currently in my spray booth being repainted :)

Posted Image

Here is the AZ Mod. Yep...Keen eyes will notice I drilled the wrong sideplate Lol

Posted Image

Here is the current payload........39 pounds and PE is under 6 arcseconds peak to peak ;)

Posted Image

#12 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

This is close to 50 pounds on the Atlas. Although I am shooting at relatively short Fl's it still tracks better than my CGE's did with lower PE.

Posted Image

#13 Yedgy

Yedgy

Viking 1

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:48 AM

That's quite the setup, Bobby! How does the mount behave in the wind (assuming it gets any in the observatory)?

Tony

#14 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:15 PM

That's quite the setup, Bobby! How does the mount behave in the wind (assuming it gets any in the observatory)?

Tony

Tony,

Thanks! That's one of the nice things about having the Obs. I have more than tripled my imaging time over last year with roughly the same weather patterns. I have imaged in 25-30mph gusts without any real difficulty. At the zenith the tubes only stick about 8 inches above the edge of the wall line so wind is not an issue.

#15 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

I don't want this to be seen as vendor bashing, but over on the TSS-Yahoo forum, it seems that the owner of TSS has been pretty non-responsive over the past several months.

Everything might be okay now, but just be careful out there.

I sent TSS an e-mail some time ago to see if I could buy the parts to do the altitude-azimuth tune-up myself, since it seemed to make more sense than shipping the whole mount.

I never heard back, so bought the British kit.

#16 Yedgy

Yedgy

Viking 1

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:48 PM

British kit? Could you post a link to this?

Thanks!
Tony

#17 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

Tony,

I think that Bobby aka "Strgazr27" in the above post might do tune-ups on the Atlas mount. Shoot him a PM. :rainbow:

#18 Yedgy

Yedgy

Viking 1

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:05 PM

Thanks, Frank. I'm in communication with Bobby now but still would like to see some options for sourcing the parts, as they are a bit pricey.

Tony

#19 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:13 PM

British kit? Could you post a link to this?

Thanks!
Tony

Here is the link to Astrodevelopments:

http://tinyurl.com/52z65r

#20 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:58 AM

Tony,

I got mine here:

http://www.vxb.com/

In fact, I have four ceramic bearings left from an 8 pack I bought to do my worms with just sitting in the package. :shocked:

#21 Planet Bob

Planet Bob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harrisburg, Pa

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

I'm looking for a mount to use with a 30 lb, 56 inch long scope and have been considering the Atlas EQ-G. Just wondering why you and others feel the need to replace bearings, etc? Are you just looking for better tracking, say for imaging, or are some of the stock parts of poor quality and wearing out?

I just want the mount for visual use. I really don't care if I have to gently bring an object back to the center of the field every 10 minutes.

From online info I gather that this mount can hold a lot of scope, considering its price point, and that it is relatively quiet. The quality also seems to have improved since its introduction. Have you found these things to be generally true?

For visual use, is this a mount that a person could live with without feeling the need to repair or replace components? Or should I just save my money and get a CGE or a G11?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Clear skies,

Bob

#22 Yedgy

Yedgy

Viking 1

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

Bob, this mount is quite capable out of the box, but its popularity has spawned a cottage industry of upgrades and modifications. I would say that your 30-lb. scope, plus rings, dovetail, finder, etc., would be well within the limits of a stock Atlas for visual use, and I'd anticipate a long life with little or no maintenance (assuming the mount is kept clean and dry, of course). The upgrades discussed in this thread are primarily of interest to imagers who want to load on the weight and/or a long moment arm while obtaining a small PE that can be smoothly guided out. Bobby's rig is an excellent example of this.

Tony

#23 tonyb

tonyb

Viking 1

• Loc: WA, USA

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

Hopefully they're doing OK at TSS. When trying to purchase from the TSS site there is a PayPal message saying "PayPal payments not accepted". I was trying to obtain the EQ6 DVD ISO.

#24 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:46 AM

Bob, you problem isn't really the 30# but rather the 56 inches. A 30# 56-inch long scope has a huge moment arm. The Atlas will probably adequately handle the OTA for visual but less likely for, IMO. I run a 24# Meade 127ED on mine (the weight includes the finder, diagonal, eyepiece, cradle and dovetail) and it works fine for visual use. That scope is about 52 inches long.

Regards,

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics