• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Metalmanstan

Metalmanstan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oneonta, NY

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

May I ask how you cut the foam so you could lay the eyepieces flat instead of up and down? And is there any local retail store that I can get foam from? Did you know how deep to cut like measuring each eyepiece? It looks very amazing and I would like to try this!!

#27 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

Hi Metanmanstan:

For the rectangular cuts I just use a very sharp, stiff knife like a fishing filet knife and take my time. I cut the rectangular plug all the way through the foam to start with. If I need a hole that is not the full depth, then I cut a slice off the bottom of the plug and put it back in the bottom of the hole.

I couldn't find any local stores for the foam so I bought it online. Links are in my posts above.
-Dan

#28 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

Foam remnants, large enough for eyepiece cases are often available at upholstery shops.

#29 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

:graduate: For vertical eyepiece storage take your eyepieces, load them into a rail gun and blast them through the foam. :bigshock: Perfect holes every time. :waytogo: Remember to fold the eye cups down first. :step:

#30 Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald

Ranger 4

• Loc: Circling the Black Hole

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

"Electric carving knives work well for stright cuts. They may even be on sale after thanksgiving..."

They still make and sell them?? :question:
Haven't seen one since I guess the '60's or early '70's!
Never missed the one my mother bought way back when. I'd rather use a "real" knife! :D
Didn't mean to hijack the thread...I'm old. :bawling:

#31 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

You can get electric carving knives at Walmart for $10 in the kitchen section. I use them for cleaning fish, and they beat heck out of the overpriced Rapalla knives and others that are supposedly made for fishing.

#32 jeffinoc

jeffinoc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

I'm a Woodworker so I carve foam with a Dremel Rotary Tool and Carbide cutters. Very easy to do with a stady hand.

http://www.woodcraft...=0&Anchor=pTabs

#33 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

You can also wet your foam and freeze it solid, then work it with regular woodworking tools, drill bits and the like.  This works OK in summer, but the warm tools tend to melt surfaces somewhat quickly, but working in cold weather in an unheated space works really well.  Only real problem is, it might take 3 or 4 days for the foam to dry out once it thaws......

#34 havasman

havasman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

restaurant supply stores carry nested sets of metal cutters of graduated sizes that also work well. freezing is a big plus.

another source of foams of various densities = caseclub.com 

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics