Photo

(CA) Golden State Star Party - June 20-24

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 LumpyDarkness

LumpyDarkness

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

ANNOUNCING THE 2009 GOLDEN STATE STAR PARTY

Happy New Year to all our fellow astronomers! Once again, we are pleased to announce that The Golden State Star Party in 2009 will be held under the very dark, clear, and hospitable skies of Frosty Acres Ranch near Adin, California. GSSP 2009 will happen a little earlier this year, starting on Saturday, June 20, and ending Wednesday, June 24.

The Early Registration Period begins on January 2, 2009 and ends March 30, 2009. The adult registration fee for all four days is $50 through March 30, 2009. The fee will increase to $60 on April 1, 2009, and to $75 after June 12, 2009. As in previous years, children under 18 years of age will be free.

This TAC-sponsored event has established itself as the premier star party in California. Last year, despite one of the worst fire seasons the state has ever seen, there were over 300 happy astronomers in attendance. GSSP will continue to feature the darkest skies available to large groups in California, a huge observing field ideal for camping and equipment set-up, a full complement of amenities, educational and recreational activities, many great nearby sites and attractions, and excellent on-site food service events--all in a free and friendly party atmosphere that all attendees will enjoy. If you were there last year, you know how good GSSP is. If you couldn’t make it in 2008, be sure to make it this year! You will not be disappointed.

For registration and more information, visit our official GSSP Website at http://www.goldenstatestarparty.org. Register early and take advantage of the lower registration fee. We hope to see all of you at The Golden State Star Party in June!

Bill Porte
GSSP Organizing Committee

#2 LumpyDarkness

LumpyDarkness

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:29 PM

A fun link has been added to the GSSP site, to a YouTube trailer from the documentary "Star Party", done by amateur astronomers, that gives a feeling of what big star parties are about and like. If you've never been, it it worth a look...

On the home page: http://www.goldensta...ty.blogspot.com

#3 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:38 AM

Looks great - and only 623 miles from Seattle. :cool:

I like the dates spilling over into the start of the week rather than end on Saturday night.

I think I will put this on the short list, maybe not 2009, but I'd love to do it in 2010 - that would be some summer to look forward to GSSP, TMSP, and OSP.

- Myles

#4 LumpyDarkness

LumpyDarkness

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

Looks great - and only 623 miles from Seattle. :cool:

I like the dates spilling over into the start of the week rather than end on Saturday night.

I think I will put this on the short list, maybe not 2009, but I'd love to do it in 2010 - that would be some summer to look forward to GSSP, TMSP, and OSP.

- Myles

We're getting folks already from Oregon, Washington and BC. I suppose its the lower latitude and more promising weather. We maximize on weather, which unfortunately tends to put us around the longest days of the year, but, better to get 5 hours a night in, and party with your old and new friends, with good skies and decent temps, than getting skunked. I read your TMSP report from 2008. I'm sure it was an aberration, but man, it sounds cold!

#5 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:18 AM

Mark,

TMSP 2008 sure was cold and "skunky". I talked to my wife and GSSP may be in the cards this year after all. She has the week off so we may make a week of it and head home with camping via the Oregon coast.

I like adding another star party as it ups the odds a more great nights and great times during with everyone during the day.

Off to read up on GSSP now...

- Myles

#6 PAW

PAW

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:00 AM

I wish GSSP had a family rate, I would like to go but this SP can get quite expensive.

#7 LumpyDarkness

LumpyDarkness

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

I wish GSSP had a family rate, I would like to go but this SP can get quite expensive.

Children (under 18 years) are free. I'm a bit surprised, as I had thought of this as an inexpensive family get-away, compared to other choices... like Disneyland, Hawaii, even places like the Grand Canyon....

#8 PAW

PAW

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:41 AM

I think those other choices are really comparing apples to oranges in terms of a family escape.

At any rate, I think the 1 day pass is a good idea.

#9 LumpyDarkness

LumpyDarkness

Messenger

• -----

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

I think those other choices are really comparing apples to oranges in terms of a family escape.

At any rate, I think the 1 day pass is a good idea.

Yeah, it was meant only to show it as an inexpensive get-away, in an economy that has people looking to save money. I am also quite sure GSSP's price is around what other similar large star parties cost. I just think the term "expensive" is relative, and that GSSP is not exceptional in terms of cost. It is though, in terms of sky! :jump:

#10 PAW

PAW

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:16 PM

GSSP Organizers: Ever thought of inviting Huell Howser out to GSSP?

#11 o1d_dude

o1d_dude

o1der than dirt

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:17 AM

I laughed out loud when I read your post, PAW, but the more I thought about it, the better an idea I believe it is. And, he is always looking for new ideas. See this * LINK * to his webpage.

For those who don't know (most non-Californians), Huell Howser hosts a TV show entitled "California Gold" shown mostly on PBS stations. He travels all across the state visiting interesting places and interviewing the folks he encounters.

Top notch suggestion, PAW.

#12 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

Be there or be square....

Mr. Bill will be and so will Mr. Bill's Mini Mart with lots of eyepieces, OTAs, etc. for sale at the swapmeet.

:cool:

#13 LumpyDarkness

LumpyDarkness

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:03 PM

Be there or be square....

Mr. Bill will be and so will Mr. Bill's Mini Mart with lots of eyepieces, OTAs, etc. for sale at the swapmeet.

:cool:

Hey Bill, we're setting the event schedule now, the swap is on the list. We had other good news today, we've picked up a wireless Internet provider. See the GSSP Yahoo E-Group posting

http://tech.groups.y...rty/message/607

#14 LumpyDarkness

LumpyDarkness

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

There are only about six more weeks until the Golden State Star Party gets underway on Frosty Acres Ranch in Adin, CA, June 20-24.

Now’s the time to register for one of the finest star parties in the country. The GSSP 2009 organizers are in the final phases of planning for this year’s event, and registering as soon as possible will help us provide the best possible party and services for all who attend. If you plan to attend but have just been procrastinating, take some time today to register. If you haven’t decided yet, that’s fine. There’s still time, but remember that GSSP happens only weeks from now. Register soon for GSSP’s incredible dark skies, good friends old and new, an excellent speaker program, great door prizes, and activities galore for all ages and interests. The registration fee is only $60 for all 4 nights until June 12. After that, the registration fee increases to $75. One-day adult passes will be available at the gate for $35.

As always, kids under 18 are free. Log in to our website at http://goldenstatestarparty.org for more information, the latest GSSP news and updates, and to register for the event. See you there!

Bill Porte
GSSP Organizing Committee

#15 PAW

PAW

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:12 AM

I am hoping to make this event - at least one night.

It's going to be a haul from San Diego though...

#16 LumpyDarkness

LumpyDarkness

Messenger

• -----

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:31 PM

I am hoping to make this event - at least one night.

It's going to be a haul from San Diego though...

You might want to get on the GSSP Yahoo E-Group and ask others coming from your area how they plan on doing the drive. I think some are breaking it up.

Aside from the great dark skies, I'm looking forward to the observers round-table discussion. There should be some excellent visual observers participating. Scope walk-about will be fun, and speakers Vic Maris and Tony Hallas will be great.

#17 LumpyDarkness

LumpyDarkness

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:40 PM

GSSP Registration Deadline Is Approaching!

The 2009 Golden State Star Party is only three short weeks away. On-line registration ends on June 12, 2009. The registration fee for all four days and nights (June 20-24) will still be only $60 until then. After that, registration at the gate will be $75. Single-day gate passes will be also be available for $35. Kids under 18 are free. GSSP seems to get better every year, and 2009 will be no exception.

This year, we've added some excellent door prizes, expanded our speaker program and swap meet, and made further upgrades to our facilities and amenities. Of course, there will also be the unsurpassed quality of the skies over Frosty Acres Ranch, the wonderful hospitality of the locals, and the comeraderie and variety of great activities and events that GSSP has become well-known for. If you haven't done so already, take some time to visit our website (http://goldenstatestarparty.org) and register for GSSP 2009.

See you there! GSSP Organizing Committee

#18 LumpyDarkness

LumpyDarkness

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

TIME GROWS SHORT....

ONLY 4 MORE DAYS TO REGISTER ONLINE FOR GSSP 2009!!!!

Be sure to register by this Friday, June 12. Don't miss the star party event of the Summer.
Sign up today at: http://goldenstatestarparty.org . See you in Adin, June 20-24, for another
rip-roarin' Golden State Star Party!

The GSSP Organizing Committee

#19 BrianFitz

BrianFitz

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hi Mark, I'd love to go, however let me ask you a couple of questions. It says the 20th thru the 24th. Can we show up on Friday and leave on Wendnesday? Trying to get a feel for the timeframe. Also, I'd like to take my wife an two teens, however, they are not into Astronmy and would find that part boring. What types of activities are there for teenagers and a wife? This last question is a reach, but, in the rather loner hobby of astronmy, I do very well with visual, however I have a nice CCD and would love a little advise on how to use it --- is that possible?

Thanks,

Brian

#20 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

Brian,
The star party will not open 'till 10AM on Saturday, so don't plan on arriving before that. There is ranch day on Monday from 1 to 4PM. Beiber has a swimming pool that is open in the afternoons, my daughter and I swam in it. There are quite a few nearby places they can visit, such as LavaBeds park, etc. Check out the link on the right margin for activitiies or here .

Hope you can make it.

#21 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

Any CN'ers going?

#22 Paul Romero

Paul Romero

Viking 1

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

Hi all,

I went to GSSP 2009, and it was great.
My only problem was my telescope..I didnt see a single object the whole time! Sat. was raindrops keep falling on my head night..but what fun!!
Sunday...beeeaauutiful day...good food good friends and 65 -70 ish degrees the whole time...thanks to the high specific heat of the water which rained downed the night before. Remember folks only 1/2 of the star party is at night...even if your scopes down, you can still have fun.
Sunday eve...my scope RA motor stalled ...unfixable..next day determined it was a battery problem.
Monday eve...after a few slews, it stops working again...guess battery was not the problem...uh oh...need to adjust the worm!

Oh well, it will have to wait till next year...btw, GSSP had speakers, a great round table discussion (the kind when you realize the pros are also your friends), BBQ every night and beeaautiful country surroundings...if you would like to see a green valley with lakes and ponds....and a dormant volcano in a perfect pyramid shape buried in snow as the background...you've gots ta see it at GSSP 2010.

cya,

Paul

#23 Aaron

Aaron

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:43 AM

Here are some photos from this weekend at the Golden State Star Party. I had an amazing time under the incredibly dark sky down there. I also made some drawings of Globulars and Nebulae . The scenery was so stunning, I took few photos of the Star Party itself.

GSSP 2009

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 LumpyDarkness

LumpyDarkness

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

Here are some photos from this weekend at the Golden State Star Party. I had an amazing time under the incredibly dark sky down there. <snip> The scenery was so stunning, I took few photos of the Star Party itself.

Hi Aaron,

Nice post! The area is gorgeous, and your photos show it well. I was on the site survey team, and my first experiences of the place were mind-boggling, the geography and natural beauty of the place, the skies, and the open welcoming of the area's residents. Next year, we'll hope for really great skies - this year was better than last, but still not up to what we had the nights of the site survey two years ago.

It would be great if you'd post to the GSSP Yahoo E-group as well...

http://tech.groups.y...statestarparty/

The photos and drawing are excellent...

Clear skies,

#25 Aaron

Aaron

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

That is amazing to think the skies there get better... The last night seemed pretty spectacular, it made it really hard to drive home under another brilliantly clear blue sky (to arrive in Oregon as clouds overtook the sunset).

I look forward to next year, a 6 hour drive is a small price to pay for 3 clear nights in Adin.

Aaron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics