CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi Teegul Sky Patrol II

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 UniversalMaster

UniversalMaster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:21 AM

Hi!

Is it possible to autoguide the Tak Teegul Sky Patrol II mount?

Søren

#2 jerryC

jerryC

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

There's no mention of it on the European website for the SPIII, http://www.takahashi...m/en/TG-SP3.php so probably not - I'd guess they'd be unlikely to take features out between models.

If you're looking for something roughly similar, the Kenko sky memo mount does have an autoguidable add on option.
http://www.sciencece...ymemo/index.htm
(The autoguider support bit is an add-on that adds a dec axis drive and runs off 12V not 6V)

#3 UniversalMaster

UniversalMaster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:28 PM

Thanks, Ill stay away from it then :D

Søren

#4 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

Hi!

Is it possible to autoguide the Tak Teegul Sky Patrol II mount?

Søren

Nope. At least, not as a standard option. Since there is a hand controller, it might be possible to build something custom, but the mount is not really intended as a photographic platform for anything beyond a normal camera and lens.

#5 UniversalMaster

UniversalMaster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

Thanks again! I see you have the combo I would be using, SV80S+Teegul, so I take your word for it :D

Søren

#6 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

Thanks again! I see you have the combo I would be using, SV80S+Teegul, so I take your word for it :D

Søren

It's a great combo for visual use--you get a tracking mount that is extremely light and portable--but it's just not made for astrophotography.

#7 UniversalMaster

UniversalMaster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:23 PM

Did you ever consider the Astro Trac for AP with the SV80S?

Søren

#8 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:14 AM

No, I never did. Frankly, I have never tried astrophotography with anything lighter weight than a CG5. Since then, I have moved progressively to bigger and heavier mounts for that purpose. The Astro Trac has a good reputation, though, so it may work very well. My light weight mount--the Tak--is just for grab 'n' go purposes/portability. All my imaging is done with an AP Mach1 now.

#9 UniversalMaster

UniversalMaster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

> All my imaging is done with an AP Mach1 now.

Yeah, why settle for anything less :jawdrop: That is one impressive mount!

Søren

#10 T Bouman

T Bouman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

You would be amazed: first: the skypatrol did a fine job with my sky90 (use the battery pack as an extra counterweight!) and most 2 or 3 minute images were fine to be stacked. (at focal length of 400-500 mm and a MX7C ccd).
Guiding IS possible but only on the hour-axe, which should be sufficient btw).
But why doing guiding? i think for focal length over 600mm the weight of your scope will be too much, but for a FC60, a 85 or 90 mm scope, it is wonderfull! And at those short focals, imaging with 3 minute images stacked is a good option. The skypatrol is extremely easy to transport, as it comes down in small pieces.

Best regards,

Tim

(skypatrol, EM200, NTM500, 6"APO fluorite bino, LZOS7"APO and better soon.)

#11 sam32

sam32

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

Tim,

The Sky Patrol does look quite nice but what additional accys do you need to get it to work ? Does it require a special adapter to get it to mount to something like a Bogen HD tripod ? And do you need to buy a polar scope for it in order to get good polar alignmnet for astro-photos or do you just use the star drift technique ?

Thanks,

Sam

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics