Photo

AT Voyager and JMI MicroSlew

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#51 ................

Viking 1

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

Yes, they're 1/4" Fred. I had the same problem when I first looked at the page. But if you look long enough at the brass thumbscrew list they'll pop out; perhaps averted vision is needed. ;) I wound up getting the 4-pack, finding it to be the best deal, and it gives me a couple spares.

BTW - the 3/8" might work, but I'm not sure they'll clear the motor bracket when engaged, so I'd stay with the 1/4".

#52 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:20 PM

Yes, they're 1/4" Fred. I had the same problem when I first looked at the page. But if you look long enough at the brass thumbscrew list they'll pop out; perhaps averted vision is needed.

Brilliant. :foreheadslap: :tonofbricks:

#53 mischief

mischief

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

David, thanks for your reply. It seems as tho the motors are definitely worth the money. Maybe after I get my taxes figured out, I'll be able to sort of afford to get them.

The weather seems to be clearing up here in N. California so hopefully I'll be able to use the Voyager, the Lunt during the day and my ST 80 at night.

Clear skies and sunny days. :refractor:

Dorothy

#54 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

I received mine yesterday and was able to test it under the stars some tonight. I give the JMI microslew kit two thumbs up. This is a big improvement for me. Not cheap - almost 2/3 again the cost of the mount but there is no vibration at all when slewing and it makes viewing and tracking an object much more comfortable without ruining the simplicity of the grab and go mount. I would vote for a 4 button control like others have said but it really is just a minor thing - you can easily control both knobs and flip back and forth with just one thumb.

#55 David P

David P

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

I'm glad to hear that your experience is positive. I agree with everything you've said. Once you get past the $$ factor, using them certainly increases the enjoyment of the mount. The older I get the less tolerant I am of technology that gets in the way rather than enhances the experience of observing. These definitely enhance the experience for me. I quickly got over my buyers remorse.

#56 mischief

mischief

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

Well, David and Tim, I think you have convinced me; so to h--- with taxes; I am going to get the motors. Do they add much weight to the mount? I do have a little trouble moving the mount around. Another question concerning the mount. I notice that JMI has some kind of "thing" (don't know what it is called) to put a tripod and mount on that has wheels and can therefore be moved more easily. I guess i could go to the JMI site, but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of such a gadget whereby I could move everything more easily. Thanks in advance.
Dorothy :whee:

#57 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:21 PM

You mean something like this?
http://www.cloudynig....php?item_id=29

or
the JMI Wheely Bar: http://www.jimsmobil...heeley_bars.htm

#58 DNTash

DNTash

Viking 1

• Loc: GMT+2

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:11 AM

Well, just ordered the Voyager from Astronomics, thanks in great part to this thread. The JMI Microslew may be next. Thank you to the OP for asking the original question.

#59 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

I am going to get the motors. Do they add much weight to the mount?

I guess they weigh a pound or two but I didn't really notice any difference when lifting the entire mount. Adding the velcro keeps the HC from swinging around when you move the mount so you will want to do that.

#60 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

I am going to get the motors. Do they add much weight to the mount?

I guess they weigh a pound or two but I didn't really notice any difference when lifting the entire mount. Adding the velcro keeps the HC from swinging around when you move the mount so you will want to do that.

I use an old cell phone holster that the HC fits in perfectly. Our local Dollar Store has tons of them. I might get two more, so they are on each leg, then there's no need to reach around the tripod to holster the HC.

#61 David P

David P

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

If they weigh more than a pound, it can't be much more than that. Really not an issue as far as significantly adding weight to the overall package.

- David

#62 mischief

mischief

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

Fred,1, thank you very much. The ScopeBuggy looks exactly what I was thinking of. I know that it is for large mounts and large OTA's but I assume it would work with the Voyager. It seems very versatile. I looked at the JMI wheeley bars and it seems as tho you have to choose a paricular Wheeley Bar depending on distances between tripod legs. From description, it looks as tho the ScopeBuggy will work with any tripod. I'll check out that site; I've seen it advertised in Astronomy magazine, but didn't think about it until now. So thanks again. :thanx:
Dorothy

#63 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

That's great Dorothy. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics