Photo

Lulin Brightening for Sketchers- Congrats Jeremy!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:00 AM

I just wanted to congratulate Jeremy Perez for posting his fine sketch of Comet Lulin to Spaceweathers Comet Gallery>
http://spaceweather....llery_lulin.htm
but could not find it here in the sketching or imaging forum.

I also wanted to alert others that this is becoming a good target for DSO sketchers. It is currently at naked eye threshold mag 6. Reports of it seen as very green and will brighten into February as it now shows a significant tail and anti-tail. (Yet I have not had a chance to get up early and have clear skies for it yet.)

I could not find too many posts here in sketching aside from Special Ed's nice sketch posted on Dec 30th >
http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

or only one in photo imaging or general observing aside from seeing Jeremy's in Spaceweather.com.

Mark

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

Congratulations to Jeremy as well. His observation of the comet is excellent showing both the ion tail and anti-tail.

Mark- Thanks for pointing it out.

Carlos

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

Ditto on the congrats to Jeremy. He does a fantastic job on his sketches and his observations.
I would love to take a look at Lulin but one must have clear skies to see. It looks by the weekend the skies will clear for three or four days . . . I hope.
Thanks Mark for pointing this out.

#4 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

• Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

Thanks guys, and thanks Mark for mentioning the Spaceweather gallery. Martin McKenna has a fantastic sketch in the gallery too, although I think his cardinal directions might be accidentally rotated by 90 degrees. The gallery appears to be growing rather slowly, and I think that's because A) it's a blasted morning comet, and B) winter weather has been kicking everyone's observing plans to the floor. I was absorbed in a couple hefty observations/sketches this morning, and didn't have a chance to observe Lulin until right before astronomical twilight. But it was at a very nice altitude by then, with no moon to mess it up, and noticeably brighter. As a result, the dust and ion tails appeared longer, although still quite subtle. I need to get my quick field sketch cleaned up & I'll post it. I'm looking forward to ongoing observations & sketches of the comet from the rest of you too! :)

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:07 PM

Jeremy,

Very nice, look forward to seeing your most recent sketch of the comet.
Mark, thanks for pointing us to this sketch.

Frank :)

#6 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

Jeremy,

Wonderful work!

Keep it up. :)

#7 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:58 AM

Frank & Rony, thanks!

Here is the sketch from JAN 28 that I finally finished scanning & prepping. The report can be found here: C/2007 N3 (Lulin) - Comet Forum Post

Attached Files

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:08 PM

Jeremy,

Great sketch and report. :bow: :rainbow: The comet does look impressive in your sketch above and larger and brighter than in your earlier sketch and report.
Clouds continue to block my morning sky but eventually a break will let me get a first look.

#9 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:15 AM

I made another early observing run Friday morning and had a great time with Comet Lulin. I had a lot I wanted to juggle--a naked eye sketch, binocular sketch, telescopic sketch and a series of photographs. The comet was a naked eye puff in Virgo and that unaided view was the first I chose to sketch while pacing back and forth to the camera, demolishing my dark adaptation checking the preview screen. I finished that sketch about the same time the 11°F temperature killed both of my camera batteries. With my camera cold and dead, I was able to adjust better for the binocular and telescope observations.

The comet is truly amazing from a dark site. Both tails materialized readily in the binocular view. The dust tail was bright and distinct, while the the ion tail, although immediately apparent, still took effort to inspect in detail. My sketch can't come close to describing how beautiful it was. It was like a foggy sunrise over a softly glowing horizon with a subdued but lustrous sun glowing in the middle. The telescopic view presented a huge coma, nearly a degree in diameter and a stellar pseudo-nucleus. (Higher power--240X--showed the pseudo-nucleus to be a circular dot perhaps about 4 arc seconds in diameter.)

The full report and large/labeled sketches can be found here:
C/2007 N3 (Lulin)

Attached below is the naked eye sketch, prepared with graphite on Strathmore 80# Drawing Medium 6" x 8". Nothing special. I used the blending stump to shade a bit of glare around Porrima.

Attached Files

#10 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:17 AM

The sketch below is the binocular view (15 x 70 Oberwerk). I've started sketching some of my observations with larger field stop circles to allow more control over shaded details and to provide more room for tight star arrangements. The following two sketches are made in 5.25" (13 cm) circles. To make the most of available time, I prepared the star field and then outlined a contour (isophote) sketch of the comet. At home, I traced the star field on a new sheet and carefully shaded the comet based on the field drawing. I added a light aqua tint to the coma in Photoshop to convey the subtle coloring I observed.

Attached Files

#11 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:18 AM

This telescopic sketch was prepared with my 8 inch Dobsonian at 37.5X. I used the same technique here as with the binocular drawing. Although the ion tail was consistently visible, pinning down its boundaries was challenging. I kept seeing a light extension flowing away near the coma, north of the main spine. I worried that I was seeing some sort of Lowell-Mars-Canal effect with nearby stars, but it was persistent, so I included it in the drawing. I was excited to see detailed photographs appearing over the next couple days. They show the ion tail taking on a broader fan shape near the coma as it foreshortens and pulls behind the comet as it approaches opposition. Speaking of which, the opposing tail effect is going to disappear after Feb 25 as the ion tail hops over to the east side of the comet and lives the rest of its days overlapped with the dust tail (from our POV). The night of the 25th may provide an interesting look at a splayed ion tail, if it isn't overwhelmed by the coma. I hope everyone has a break in the weather to view it before it races away--and if you can catch it from a dark site, definitely go for it!

Attached Files

#12 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:57 AM

Jeremy,

Thanks for posting this fine set of sketches here. I like the evolution from naked eye to binocular view to telescope. I had the first two views on Feb. 21st and your drawings reflect what I saw from my dark skies very well. [Since I'm recovering from a bad case of the flu, my wife wouldn't allow me to set up a telescope in the 15°F temp we had--I didn't really have the stamina anyway--so I bundled up in hat and coat and enjoyed 15 minutes looking through an open attic window.]

The binocular and telescope sketches are blended beautifully and realistically portray the subtle variations of the coma and tail--very masterful. Excellent observations. :bow: :cool:

#13 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:05 AM

Jeremy,

very fine sketches! In Germany we have rainy weather, I am waiting for clear sky to sketch Lulin.

#14 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:45 AM

Jeremy,

Excellent observations and reports on this interesting comet. My observations of the comet agree with your own. The ion and anti-tail are interesting but, as you point out, will be in the same direction after opposition. I hope to be able to follow it soon.

Carlos

#15 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:19 AM

Jeremy,

Your most recent sketches of comet Lulin are up to your established level of excellent. Beautiful! :bow: I enjoyed your well written report and your photos at your web page. :cool: :rainbow:
I am hoping for a few clear nights this week.

#16 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:04 AM

Thanks very much guys that means a lot.

Michael, sorry to hear about the flu...as if dodging persistent, cloudy weather weren't enough. I'm glad you managed a 15 minute attic session!

Something interesting I learned earlier today, 9th magnitude asteroid 29 Amphitrite was being overrun by the comet while I was making those observations. It can be seen right next to the pseudonucleus in both the binocular and telescopic sketches. I think that's one of the great benefits of sketching: that I can hear the news, backtrack to planetarium software, check positions & then pinpoint it on the sketch enriches the experience even more.

I'm really hoping some of us get a CSC that shows a blue window Wednesday night for opposition!

#17 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:28 AM

Oh boy. I got to playing around (due to procrastinating on another project). Here is a digital recreation of the telescopic sketch.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics