Photo

My CGEM is bust ;(

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#1 Roy M.

Roy M.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

I posted in Yahoo groups as well, so I'll provide a cross link if an answer is found...

So last night I finally was hoping to hit first light with the CGEM,
it did not happen.

1. I was able to connect with NexRemote fine.

2. I started to do 2 star alignment but the stars that it gave me did
not correspond to the sky at the time, I had entered the proper
coordinates.

3. Then I enabled GPS, and tried again, the system recognized GPS
since I saw the coordinates and time updated. Still the alignment
stars would not list (e.g., Capella).

4. I connected the Starshoot autoguider to see if I just could
capture some pics, but to no avail, the scope just went crazy,
slewing all over the place.

5. After a reset, every time I pressed "Enter" to start a type of
alignment, the telescope would start slewing (before selecting a
star) and it would go all the way until the scope was upside down.

6. There was a point were I passed the quickalign, but the scope
would do jerks every 10 seconds or so, instead of a steady slew. And
it was making sounds that did not seem normal.

7. I performed a factory reset. I saw the same behavior, the scope
started slewing all the way on declination until I had to release the
clutch top prevent straining motor.

Right now I cannot do anything becaus ethe scope starts slewing when
I hit enter on any type of alignment. I may have a bad unit. I have
had an Advanced Series Mount for 4 years and never had a problem like
this.

I'm pretty bummed out.

May the haze clear for you all,

Roy

#2 Yedgy

Yedgy

Viking 1

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Roy. Did you try doing the alignment with the HC instead of NexRemote?

Tony

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

2. I started to do 2 star alignment but the stars that it gave me did
not correspond to the sky at the time, I had entered the proper
coordinates.

3. Then I enabled GPS, and tried again, the system recognized GPS
since I saw the coordinates and time updated. Still the alignment
stars would not list (e.g., Capella).

That sounds like an incorrect time zone setting.

5. After a reset, every time I pressed "Enter" to start a type of
alignment, the telescope would start slewing (before selecting a
star) and it would go all the way until the scope was upside down.

6. There was a point were I passed the quickalign, but the scope
would do jerks every 10 seconds or so, instead of a steady slew.

Those characteristics indicate an open loop situation - the encoders aren't being correctly read. I'd start by verifying the power source and connections; the comparators get flaky if the supply isn't good.

#4 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

Very sorry to here about that Roy. I hope you saved all the boxes because its looking like that mount may need to take a one-way trip back to the dealer.

Sorry to rub it in but mine is working perfect, dead on goto's and that polar alignment routine is super sweet. No more polar alignment scopes for me. The only problem I had was on the first night when the scope's power kept going on and off and resetting the hand controller. Then I realized I was suppose to screw the power cable to the mount :foreheadslap: not just push it on. To bad I skipped over it in the manual in my haste to get outside and try out the mount. I have accidentally pulled the power cord out of my other telescopes before so that is a nice feature.

#5 Gord

Gord

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

I'll also chime in with checking the power side of things. And also all the connections (make sure everything is seated properly). If it's anything like the AS-GT, it is sensitive to power.

I had similar behaviours with my AS-GT. It would do the wild slews, sometimes starting up on it's own, sometimes working ok for a bit, then going crazy. And sometimes it would do the "jerky" slew.

Strange thing was some nights it would work perfectly. Others, no matter what you did, it wasn't going to work. In the end (after checking & changing anything I could to do with power, upgrading firmware, etc.), I talked to Celestron and they said to send it back.

It was a bad motor control board. They repaired it, checked the rest of the mount over, and after that, it was perfect. Celestron was really great to deal with. I wasn't thrilled to have gotten a bad mount, but they were very good at resolving the situation.

Good luck in getting it sorted out.

-Gord

#6 Roy M.

Roy M.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:00 PM

Guys, thanks for the feedback. I did have the zone set properly to Easter standard... I am however going to look at the power supply part of things.

One question, when this scope is slewing fast, is the mnottor supposed to sound "waaaooowaaaaooowaaaaaoo", the scope was balanced, did not sound right....

#7 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

Yep, the cgem sounds like that, not pretty is it, my lx200 does the same thing.

#8 David P

David P

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

Well, there's your problem Roy, you have it set to Easter standard and we haven't even hit Valentine's Day yet. :smirk:

#9 J_D_Metzger

J_D_Metzger

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

Well, there's your problem Roy, you have it set to Easter standard and we haven't even hit Valentine's Day yet. :smirk:

:funny:

#10 Trombone

Trombone

Viking 1

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

And we don't even know if it is Orthodox or not.

#11 InterStellarGuy

InterStellarGuy

Viking 1

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:53 PM

wow you guys are on a roll with the cgem jokes hahahaha :roflmao:

#12 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:27 PM

wow you guys are on a roll with the cgem jokes hahahaha :roflmao:

Unfortunately it appears that these days it's Celestron's quality that's the joke! I sure hope they turn things around, but it's getting depressing. This isn't a good time to be disappointing consumers when your business depends on their disposable income.

Beo

#13 Roy M.

Roy M.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

+1 on the jokes... :grin: -1 on CGEM... :nonono: So I eliminated all variables by connecting the HC to the mount without anything else, I removed scopes and weights; When it got to the align screen, the declination did a couple of loops, but THIs TIME, I heard loose washers, bolts, and God knows what as it was turning. Unless this is a "new feature" the mount is defective. I called OPT and they said they were out of stock and had 8 orders. I packed the mount and I am waiting a call from them to see where I should ship it.

While I bummed out that I got the dud, I'll probably end up better in the long run, raher happen now than later.

to be continued...

of course the sky is blue with 0 haze. Torture I tell you. :bangbangbang:

#14 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

Unfortunately it appears that these days it's Celestron's quality that's the joke! I sure hope they turn things around, but it's getting depressing. This isn't a good time to be disappointing consumers when your business depends on their disposable income.

Beo

Not that I've noticed. Frankly, I'd say their quality is pretty much as good as it ever has been, and probably better than it's been over the last decade. Still, assuming this is not pilot error, which is always possible with go-to rigs, there will be the occasional ringer, especially with a just out the door product at these price points.

#15 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

Hey Uncle Rod,

Well, if the quality I'm seeing is representative of the best that Celestron's ever been, then I REALLY made a mistake buying Celestron! The latest chapter in my Celestron woes is that the replacement SkyScout they sent me that actually DOES work, hangs regularly and the only way to power off or reset is to unscrew the battery cover and remove the batteries! After first sending me the directions on flash upgrading mounts and NexStar HCs and suggesting that I try upgrading the firmware, their tech support wants me to send it back AGAIN. Some Christmas present that turned out to be. Maybe for Celestron, but certainly not for me and my family!

Beo

#16 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:44 PM

Roy you also might be having a power suppy problem. When it gets to the low temperatures, The cold will drain power even if your power supply was fully charged night before. This can cause you headaches with the software & hand control. Keep the power supply in the car if your cable is long enough to reach. Keeping the HC warm is also a good idea.

#17 mmagrunmo

mmagrunmo

Mariner 2

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:27 AM

+1 on the jokes... :grin: -1 on CGEM... :nonono: So I eliminated all variables by connecting the HC to the mount without anything else, I removed scopes and weights; When it got to the align screen, the declination did a couple of loops, but THIs TIME, I heard loose washers, bolts, and God knows what as it was turning. Unless this is a "new feature" the mount is defective. I called OPT and they said they were out of stock and had 8 orders. I packed the mount and I am waiting a call from them to see where I should ship it.

While I bummed out that I got the dud, I'll probably end up better in the long run, raher happen now than later.

to be continued...

of course the sky is blue with 0 haze. Torture I tell you. :bangbangbang:

I know you are frustrated, but..... if you have not yet tried a DIFFERENT power supply, then you have not eliminated the most likely source of these kinds of problems.

As far as the "nuts and bolts" noise.... you mentioned removing CW and OTA. is it possible that what you were hearing was clutch knobs flopping or perhaps loose dovetail stuff???

Nexremote likes to play alone. Were you using the hand controller at all when using the nexremote? All kinds of funny stuff can happen when you get those two trying to talk to a mount at the same time.

I have a hunch you are only a setting, sequence, or question or two away from having THAT mount working perfectly. There are lots of people here who seem willing to help you do that.

#18 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:53 AM

I really was ready to pull the trigger on the cgem,rather than the eqg,with it's better software and mounting shoe.
In the back of my mind I was wondering if the first models would have some issues.
I hope you get it straightened out quickly,without too many headaches.

:gotpopcorn:

#19 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:54 AM

Hey Uncle Rod,

Well, if the quality I'm seeing is representative of the best that Celestron's ever been, then I REALLY made a mistake buying Celestron! The latest chapter in my Celestron woes is that the replacement SkyScout they sent me that actually DOES work, hangs regularly and the only way to power off or reset is to unscrew the battery cover and remove the batteries! After first sending me the directions on flash upgrading mounts and NexStar HCs and suggesting that I try upgrading the firmware, their tech support wants me to send it back AGAIN. Some Christmas present that turned out to be. Maybe for Celestron, but certainly not for me and my family!

Beo

Sorry to hear about your problem. My SkyScout has worked perfectly as have those of the folks I know. Have ya tried upgrading the firmware? Sounds like a computer glitch. If it don't work right, give 'em a holler. There've been some bum SkyScouts, but mostly they are accurate and reliable. I use mine constantly both with my students and to help locate/identify Polaris/alignment stars before it is good and dark. Wouldn't part with it...it has saved my bacon a couple of times: "Is that Hamal or not?" :lol:

#20 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Soyuz

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

They sure don't make mounts like they did in the 70's. All you did was plug in the RA drive and you were set.

Chas

#21 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:58 AM

Just send it back, I wouldn't even try to repair it, you paid so much money for it, it should be running perfectly as it is new, just send it in and get another...make the dealer pay the shipping if possible...

#22 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

Have ya tried upgrading the firmware?

Yeah, that was the first thing I'd done when I received the replacement unit, as it was still the old firmware. What I don't know is if this was a NEW unit or just a refurb that still had the same problem someone else had returned it for.

Hey, and don't get me wrong; I LOVE the SkyScout for what it does, but having to pull batteries from it by removing a screw-on cover in order to reset it is a totally unacceptable issue to live with. And the fact that it EATS batteries, and just powering it on for the first satellite fix is enough to drop the battery indicator a notch or two is pretty sad. IF I can get one that works before the warranty expires, I plan to make an adapter that will let me power the unit off a Power Tank. Still not sure why it doesn't pull power from the scope through the USB when connected. That's a disappointing oversight on Celestron's part.

Ah well, guess it's time to let this thread get back to being about problems with the CGEM! :p

Beo

#23 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:03 PM

They sure don't make mounts like they did in the 70's. All you did was plug in the RA drive and you were set.

Chas

Yep. Plug it in and the mount ran at sidereal rate. AND THAT WAS ALL! :lol:

#24 Roy M.

Roy M.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

As far as the "nuts and bolts" noise.... you mentioned removing CW and OTA. is it possible that what you were hearing was clutch knobs flopping or perhaps loose dovetail stuff???

Nexremote likes to play alone. Were you using the hand controller at all when using the nexremote? All kinds of funny stuff can happen when you get those two trying to talk to a mount at the same time.

I have a hunch you are only a setting, sequence, or question or two away from having THAT mount working perfectly. There are lots of people here who seem willing to help you do that.

I fully charged the PowerTank, used the cable that came with scope, fully screwed in the power connector. The scope turned on ok. I removed NexRemote and GPS out of the equation. When it started doing the non-stop slew, it had plenty of juice. The loose parts WERE inside the mount, *no doubt* about it. I heard the parts hitting the side of the mount encasing. I was doing all of this under meticoulous inspection. Even after doing a quick align (while the scope was still slewing erratically, I managed to go to utilities and do a factory reset, then power cycled. Same thing. I tried direct AC connection, same thing. I did this for completeness, since as soon as I heard the loose parts clinking inside, all bets were off.

The loose parts inside the mount and the locking/grinding noises are *not* a power supply issue. The scope is truly damaged. But I trully appreciate the feedback, I am sure persistence like this has solved many problems before. :bow:

I have not heard from OPT yet, I guess I'll call tomorrow Monday.

CSs,

Roy

#25 Roy M.

Roy M.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:59 PM

Just send it back, I wouldn't even try to repair it, you paid so much money for it, it should be running perfectly as it is new, just send it in and get another...make the dealer pay the shipping if possible...

Alien, you crystallize my thoughts. :p

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics