• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#76 ssouza

ssouza

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:50 PM

Mike,
As previously posted above the dovetails on the OTAs you have will not work on the CGEM. While the optimum solution is certainly to go to Losmandy style dovetails for your OTAs, for these fairly light tubes another solution might be an adapter like the one made by ScopeStuff.

Here is a photo of the ScopeStuff adapter I use on my CGEM, I have found it very adequate for my SW120ED.

Note that the reasonably-priced Scopestuff Losmandy/Vixen adapter can be turned into a side-by-side for small scopes using only an Allen wrench by rotating the in-line saddles 90 degrees in opposite directions, keeping the knobs to the outside. It's solid as a rock, and doesn't add as much mass as some other options. See the photo.

BTW, I love the CGEM. It replaced an HGM200 on a permanent pier, and although the load capacity is lower, the sanity factor is much higher.

Steve Souza

Attached Files

#77 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

Trever,

My unit fails to put objects in the FOV when using just a two star align as well even with good polar alignment. However, when I add 2 or 3 calibration stars the gotos are fantastic. For imaging, I always do 2 star align plus 3 calibration stars and also high precision go to and it puts the object in the dead center of the chip every single time. You wouldn't need to use high precision for visual. Also, when aligning your alignment and calibration stars, make the final adjustments to center the star using the up and right arrow keys.

#78 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:40 AM

The one thing I did notice is when I first powered up the scope, it seemed to be set incorrectly. Any star I attempted to list gave me a filter error and there were no solar system objects to find in the list. When I did a quick align and had it find M13, it would point straight down and attempt to find it even though it technically was beyond its extents. After doing a factory reset, it seems to be fine after that. But there was no way to know for sure if it is working perfectly. I had it outside that night and aligned it to the best that I could on a 2 star alignment, but that wasnt enough since nothing was in the field of view. I didnt get the chance to do the polar alignment through the HC yet.

This is likely improper settings in the HC. Triple check latitude/longitude _and their signs_, time-zone (a new HC defaults to PST), time, and date.

As for focus shift, all Meade and Celestron SCTs exhibt some. Unless the shift is large, it really won't hurt anything. "Large" these days bein' over 45"...

#79 Trever

Trever

Gemini

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:47 AM

I verified most of that but I did see where I had made some mistakes. If we can ever have a week without rain or Tornadoes, then I can give it a try.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics