CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saloranta Sketch in S&T

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:58 AM

I thought you deep sky observers might want to know that Jake Saloranta has a sketch published in Sue French's article in the March issue of Sky & Telescope. The sketch is of Abell 31, a planetary nebula in the constellation Cancer. He used an 80mm scope and an O III filter.

It seems like this isn't the first time I've seen a Saloranta sketch in S&T, but I'm sure it doesn't get old. Congratulations, Jake! :cool:

[Edit]: I meant the March issue (which arrived yesterday). I corrected the original post.

#2 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:25 PM

Congratulations, Jake! :)

#3 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

Congratulations, Jake. I noticed your sketch was in there as soon as I brought the magazine home from the post office. I turn to Sue's column first every time to see if they were able to include a sketch. I enjoy the comparison between the photographic and visual details visible in that PN.

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:29 AM

Jake,

Congratulations and it is a nice sketch.

Frank :)

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Cosmos

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:52 AM

Congratulations Jake! Keep up the good work.

Carlos

#6 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

Well done, Jake! I always enjoy seeing your work in the pages of Sky and Telescope. :)

You can also see a larger version of Jake's sketch here. It would have been nice if the editors at S&T could have shown the sketch and photo with the same orientation, however.

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:19 AM

Congratulations Jake!

And thanks to Eric for posting Jake's sketch here. I'll have to check the magazine hardcopy more often. I wonder if S&T or Astronomy would ever do a regular sketch gallery?

I have had a couple of my past astrophotos published in Astronomy as full page prints. One was the best of the month awarded but I never thought of sending in a sketch.

Would Jake or any of you have advice for what the astro magazines want for sketching?

thank you for any info,

Mark

My CN Sketch Gallery

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics