20 replies to this topic

#1 Vincent Becker

Vincent Becker

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:14 AM

Hello,

After more than a year practising astrophotography with my DSLR, I discover the world of sketching with my new 8" string telescope. Here is my first sketch, the great Orion nebula, as seen through a 17mm HighLight Plössl last week:

Posted Image

It was made with a pencil on white paper then scanned and reversed.

Best regards,

#2 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

Vincent,

Bienvenue! at the forum.

Wow! :shocked: Excellent sketch of M42. Your sketch shows a real sense of depth. Bravo! :bow: :jump: :bow:

Do you have a dark observing site?

#3 Vincent Becker

Vincent Becker

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:37 PM

Thank you very much!

My observing site is reasonably dark, but less so since the mayor of the city (1500 inhabitants) decided to light the streets like the Champs Elysées...

The sketch section of your website is quite impressive!

I understand that you use red light instead of green? Is it better?

#4 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

Vincent,

The idea of the red light :

The human eye has a dual vision : rods and cones which are placed on the retina. For our night (and averted) vision, we rely on the sensitivity of the rods. They are most sensitive for green light, but not for red light. When we read and write we use the cones, in the center of our field of view. With the proper deep red light, we can sketch and take notes without ruining the night adaptation of the rods.

UHC and deep sky filters are developped for the same reason. They pass mostly small bandwidths of green light, cause rods are very sensitive to it.

H-Alpha filters (passing red bandwidths) are usefull for observing the sun, but have no visual application for deep-sky. The dark adapted retina is not very sensitive for red light.

This is the general theory. I know that some people like a faint green light better than a red light.

Why not try it out and see how it goes.

Clear skies,

#5 Vincent Becker

Vincent Becker

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

Thank you for this explanation. I read everywhere that the human eye is more sensitive to the green, but of course we use the cones for sketching!

I've been disappointed with my green light when I did this sketch, I'll give the red light a try.

#6 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

Vincent,

I look forward to your sketches. :cool:

Last september, we were observing at Le Castellard - Melan in the French Alps. The sky was very good over there.
Maybe we'll return in the fall of '09. :)

#7 Vincent Becker

Vincent Becker

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

Well I just modified my light to red :) Seems better already.

I desigend my 8" string telescope to go to Jura with it where the sky is quite good too!

Sketching is really new to me, so far I've made a lot of DSLR imaging. I must say that sketching is quite fun too :)

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:44 PM

Vincent,

Excellent sketch of M-42. :bow: :cool: I think you have found the best way to enjoy observing at the eyepiece.

Frank :)

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:39 AM

Vincent,

Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Sketching Forum. Your observation of the Orion Nebula (M42) is excellent. You have captured the core and extensions of this impressive emission nebula very nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all. Please continue to make your visual observations and post them on this forum.

Your 8" String Newtonian appears to be an excellent instrument for your visual observations. Your father's instrument is also impressive.

Carlos

#10 Vincent Becker

Vincent Becker

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:55 AM

Thank you very much! I had a very good time doing this sketch. It is much more relaxing than photography, and in my opinion more challenging too. I hope to be back soon with new sketches. Here is a picture of my sketching pad, it is the top of a fisher bucket (which was in a fisher bag I use tu carry my string telescope when it is folded) while the light is a USB laptop LED gizmo:

Posted Image

On the light you can glimpse the green tape (now red) that I put on it to dim the light. It has two intensities.

As fot my father's 10" dob, it is an excellent instrument. He made the mirror himself, he was a master in this art. He made countless telescopes during his life, from 6" to 16" and even a Cassegrain. He invented a kind of EQ table which now wears his name. He passed away two years ago. I'm very proud to own one of his finest instruments and to continue his passion for astronomy and ATM.

#11 keef

keef

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Derby, Derbyshire, UK

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:06 AM

Great first sketch Vincent :)

#12 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

Welcome, Vincent--your first sketch is well done. :) M42 is a challenge to sketch, but its appeal is hard to ignore.

#13 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

Vincent,

I like your sketching pad. Nice idea with the usb led too!

To prevent that your sketching paper gets too wet while outdoors, you can bundle 5 to 10 sheets of paper on the sketchpad. It works for me. :cool:

#14 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

Bon Jour Monsieur Vincent

Your sketch of M42 is excellent! It captures that three dimensional feel.

You should use your fathers 10" Newtonian and get to a dark sky site. M42 will exhibit red color in the outer wisps or wings as some refer to them. I rendered a pastel interpretation of this from my former dak sky home and compared it to the current light polluted location (see in gallery link below.)
M42 From My Sketch Gallery- Dark Sky vs Light Polluted
You will have to resort to little work light without color to render the color on a sketch with patels if you try them.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing more of your sketching,

Mark
My CN Sketch Gallery

#15 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

Beautiful sketch, I like how you've captured the dark line above the trap. That's one of my favorite parts of M42.

Mark, great sketches as well. That's a lot of red, i've seen a little bit of the red from my suburban site, but nothing like that sketch shows.

#16 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

Vincent, very impressed with the details in your sketch and with your sketch pad. I love your use of contrast to display the entire object.

#17 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

great first sketch of M-42, you must have dark skies or very sharp eyes to see such a grand m-42. Thanks for posting.

#18 Vincent Becker

Vincent Becker

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:12 AM

Thank you very much to you all for your comments and advice!

Mark, your sketches are very impressive, I didn't realize there was so great a difference between 8" and 10". Your sky must be very good indeed.

Right now I use the 8" because the movements of the 10" need fixing but I definitely will do it as soon as possible!

My sky is relatively dark though I have a slight LP haze in the south. I just received my Astronomik UHC filter, I hope it will help me in seeing the faintest details.

#19 kohudson

kohudson

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Mayhill, NM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:10 PM

Vincent,

I'm very impressed with your 8" string scope. I love the blue color!! Very cool. I'd love to see more detailed pictures of it without the light shroud. Any information on how you built it would be great, too.

Ken

#20 Vincent Becker

Vincent Becker

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hello,

Thank you for your comment on my telescope.

The blue colour with stars and golden bearings is a tribute to Victor Hugo, one of the greatest French writers of all times, who described the moon in one of his poems as "this golden sickle in a field of stars".

I made a thread about it some days ago with more detailed pictures and its construction:

http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

And some pictures of the spider assembly here:

http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

I've also made a blog (in french) to relate its construction with a lot of self-explanatory pictures:

http://www.telescope...ur.net/marabout

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any question. I'll try to make more close-ups of the finished telescope soon. Wich parts are you more intersted in?

#21 kohudson

kohudson

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Mayhill, NM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

Vincent,

Thank you for all the additional information on your string scope. I think it is great the blue color is a tribute to Victor Hugo! The links to the additional pictures were *very* interesting. You did a great job! Thank you for documenting everything so well in pictures.

Ken

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics