14 replies to this topic

#1 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

HELP! :lol:

I don't have an orange filter in my stash, so tried a moon filter instead. Venus was a little soft at 312x but I had a few moments where it became sharper.

How do I know if the darker areas reaching inward from the terminator line are ghost images from the sharp contrast of the shadows and brightness of the planet or if it is actually detail that I'm seeing? The grayish features that I saw at first glance looked like a crescent within the outer edge of Venus. But then at times it became a much brighter, so I tried to only add to the sketch when it became brighter....if that makes sense.

Suggestions, tips, etc would be much appreciated.

I had to make some adjustments to the black area around the terminator line to correct for smudges that I accidentally make to my charcoal when I was leaving the observatory.

Attached Files

#2 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

I don't know anything about sketching but I like it. I got a chance to look at Venus and the moon in my binoculars this afternoon and was able to just make out the phase. Beautiful sight.

#3 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:18 PM

Very nice sketch, the albedo features on venus are very subtle and seem darkest closest to the terminator,they come and go with the seeing and always seem more mysterious than obvious, yet most of the planetary observors on these forums that have looked for them report similar findings and they do somewhat resemble the uv photos that amatuers have taken in other forums, they are difficult to accurately sketch as they change quickly with the seeing and most of us exaggerate the features to make them more visible. Your sketch has done a fine job at showing them as they appear, congrads.

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

Erika,

Very good visual observation--you sketched what you saw. The irregular terminator is something many observers see--don't know what the cause of that is but it's good that you recorded it.

2345 UT translates to 6:45 PM EST. You'll want to start observing Venus much earlier than that for the best view. Venus will be higher in the sky and the contrast won't be as great. Set your scope for the declination of Venus the next opportunity you have in the very early evening and sweep the sky looking through your finder scope until you spot it. 4:30 or 5:00 PM isn't too early.

If you don't have a W#21 (orange) filter, try a #23A, #11, or # 80A.

Good luck!

#5 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:05 PM

Thanks guys. And thanks for the help, Tommy and Michael. :bow:

I've got the 80A and I believe I might even have the 23A as well. It seems I do most of my observing in the daytime these days so tend to forget what I've got in my EP case besides just my favorite solar eyepieces. LOL

Does it look like I have the phase (size wise) fairly accurate?

I remember Sol saying he viewed Venus early while it was still daylight. Thanks for explaining about that. Maybe I can try it out this weekend if we have some good skies.

#6 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:49 AM

I sketched venus occasionally and got a similar degree of detail. You have to look faithful to see the any detail at all. For me, a blue or violet filter worked better.

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:24 AM

Erika,

You will be more convinced that you are seeing real albedo features if you catch Venus on an afternoon of good seeing. If you are solar viewing in the afternoon and get really steady seeing try and catch Venus when it is near the meridian.
Great drawing of Venus as it now looks. :bow: :rainbow: :flower:

Frank :)

#8 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

Thank you both for the advice. It's certainly appreciated and I'm looking forward to putting it all in practice next opportunity to observe in the afternoon. :bow:

#9 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

Erika,

Nice sketch.

The red and medium blue filters you have should quiet Venus down in a 10" telescope. The others' recommendations are good ones too. Venus is relatively high in the sky @ 4:30 pm local time. You should be able to get a good hour of observing if sky is cooperative.

Good luck,

#10 Vincent Becker

Vincent Becker

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

Very nice sketch, I like the subtelty of the terminator zone.

#11 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for the advice, Sol! Thanks Vincent.

#12 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

I got out a little earlier today, but not as early as I would have liked. This was the best I could do and although there seemed to be fairly good contrast, definition was hard to make out.

Number 80A was used for the sketch, and I popped in the 25 Red after to see if there would be any difference in contrast.

Sol, drift is to 10 o'clock position in my sketch. The LX200 is on a wedge and I used a diagonal. Going by drift, upward and to the right is north in my sketch.

Why would my drift be just the opposite of yours? Is it something obvious that I'm overlooking?

Attached Files

#13 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

Erika,

Excellent Venus capture. :bow: :cool: Did one filter work better than the other? I can't imagine your seeing in Ohio is any better than ours has been to your northwest. If you get some rock steady seeing you may see the albedo features hold position nicely.

Frank :)

#14 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:11 AM

Erika,

Excellent observations of Venus. Your phase is accurate as well as the albedo features that you have recorded. The advice above on filters for observing Venus is very good. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#15 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

Erika,

Now you surprise us with these fine Venus sketches!

Wonderful!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics