#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

Posted Image

To all

I set up a Nexstar 5i in Cannon Beach Oregon after a beautiful day on the beach, watching a Felini-like film crew (I know this is entirely unrelated but possibly inspired my sidewalk astronomy later in the downtown beach town. Can I submit those photos on the beach in another forum here?)

I showed many patrons a shaft of light in a crater at the terminator. I cannot identify the crater but thought it was Scheckard?

I made a crude sketch in ball-point on an envelope [a father and his two teen daughters from Syria made some translated Arabic references on the envelope while I showed many patrons through the telescope at the restaurant- This just made my evening after a surreal day as the whole thing was like being in a movie- I lost count of how many people stopped by to view this through the telescope after about two hours]. I also snapped a hand held image with my Sony Cybershot through a 12mm plossl for better reference; I indicated the shaft of light with a photoshopped arrow on both the sketch and the photo. The live view of this light with excellent atmospheric seeing was phenomenal through the telescopes eyepiece; not comparable to these images here at all.

Obviously I need to study a moon atlas. :foreheadslap:

Thanks for any help, criticisms and comments,

Mark

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:56 PM

Mark,

Nice quick sketch. :bow:You can see the light pouring in on the floor in both the sketch and pic. The crater at the arrow is the huge walled plain crater Grimaldi (134 miles across) or you can think of it as a small basin. It has a very dark floor with brighter surroundings. What makes the view a little tricky is that it is mirror image reversed from the view in your 10.1" Newtonian at the eyepiece.

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:14 AM

Mark,

An interesting observation of a light shaft over the walled plain Grimaldi. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:34 AM

Thanks for the kind informing words Frank and Carlos.

I have probably sketched Grimaldi on the terminator several times but forgot the name. Is Schekard even near Grimaldi?
I [really do] need to study the atlases and learn all the lunar feature names. I am a little ashamed that I know so few lunar feature names. And how many names of features are there on the moon now? A rough count?

Thanks again to the both of you for promptly informing me.

Mark

#5 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

Mark,

A fine sketch and a nice catch of the light.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics