• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 Tom C.

Tom C.

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:01 PM

I realize this is an old post, but for people who find this discussion on using a C-11 on an Atlas EQ-G mount check out the following. I always say, the proof is in the pudding. Many in this forum discussion were skeptical about the Atlas' capability to do astrophotography and even more weary about mounting a guide scope on the C-11 at the same time. Well, the unbelievers should check out Steve Bryson's website and his photographs. He uses a C-11 mounted on an Atlas with an ED80 as a guidescope and a Canon XTi as his instrument of choice. While it looks like he had an olympic weightlifters set of iron stacked on the Atlas' skinny shaft (see the pic of his setup too)...well, take a look. The pictures speak for themselves.

http://homepage.mac....astrophotos.htm

Cheers,

Tom

#27 WillCarney

WillCarney

Apollo

• Loc: Bloomington, ILL

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:43 PM

I agree. I chose the Atlas because of the included polar finder and Orion's quality. I had previously purchased
a ST-120 on a EQ3. Both were great. Here's my current refractor setup on my Atlas.

Posted Image

Here's some pictures taken with my Atlas. While not as good as Steve's they are not bad for quick and easy.

Posted Image

10 minute Flame, 120ST, Fuji film.

Posted Image

10 minute Orion, 120ST, Fuji film.

Posted Image

M31, Kodak B&W film. Mount not quite aligned so I got some movement.

Posted Image

10 minute, ST80, Orion's belt/sword, Kodak B&W film.

So far no problems with my Atlas except a few very minor one's. I don't like the plastic hand controller holder, it keeps falling off the tripod tray. The cap for the eyepiece of the polar scope never seems to want to screw on. It would also be nice to have a bubble level on the tripod not the head. These are of course minor points.

William

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics