NexStar 8 SE Vs NEW Meade ETX-LS LightSwitch 6"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Light Year

Light Year

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

Help me decide on a GoTo Reflector telescope with good Performance and Portability for DSO and AP.

I am a beginner interested in investing for long term use.

I am considering the Celestron NexStar 8 SE OR the NEW Meade ETX-LS LightSwitch 6".

Please give your ideas and suggestions!

#2 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

Welll.... the SE is a well-established product with a good track record whereas the LS hasn't begun shipping yet so there's nothing to base a judgment on other than what we've seen so far. The LS strikes me as a gadget scope which has some interesting features and whether or not it's worth it depends on how many of those features are important to you and how well they actually work. Personally, I'm interested in the idea of being able to use a DSI Pro on the LS for observing without a computer, but not so much as a serious imaging platform.

If it were me (and it's not) I'd take a hard look at the SE as a good general purpose scope, though I'm not so sure either would be my first choice for an imaging system. For a long term investment I'd look for more solid basics and fewer gadgets that all too quickly become yesterday's news. For both visual and imaging use (and longevity on a budget) I'd be tempted to also consider the LXD75 or CGE lines.

#3 sailor70623

sailor70623

Gemini

• Loc: Ok.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

Why not a 8"SE? Then grab a LPI. Much better for visual, and as long as your not expecting more than what a LPI can do, a great set up. For serious AP neither scope.

#4 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

The lightswitch, IMO, is a weird scope. Lot's of automation and whiz-bang whistle and bells seamingly intended to entertain a dilettante until he soon tires of the thing. Perhaps it's better than that, but I'd put my money on something a bit more traditional, like an 8SE with its larger aperture, and plenty enough whiz-bang to get you off to a good start.

#5 Greg Morrison

Greg Morrison

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

I don't know about the Meade in this regard, but one thing I like about my 8-SE is the ability to use a variety of scopes on the mount. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I might even get my 4" Tak to work. Any number of smaller refractors and mid-sized maks should all work fine for visual use on the Nexstar mount.

#6 Light Year

Light Year

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

I appreciate all your help. I have determined to go with the C8SE considering portability and DSO. Any idea when Celestron usually comes up with the $200 instant rebate?

#7 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:10 AM

The only time I've seen that rebate is at Christmas time. However, if you purchase at telescopes.com, you can try the following promotion code to get 15% off which amounts to about $200:

VZ-7532

I used in in November for an 8SE and have used it a couple of times since. It still seems to be working because others have reported using it as recently as last week. No guarantees how long it will continue so get it while it's hot! :mrevil:

-Dan

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:37 AM

Help me decide on a GoTo Reflector telescope with good Performance and Portability for DSO and AP.

I am a beginner interested in investing for long term use.

I am considering the Celestron NexStar 8 SE OR the NEW Meade ETX-LS LightSwitch 6".

Please give your ideas and suggestions!

What does the 6-inch bring to the table? _If_ it works well and reliably, it will save you from having to center two stars in the eyepiece. It also has canned multimedia presentations for some objects--which might, I'd guess, get a little old after a while.

The Celestron? It brings THE most important thing when it comes to telescope performance, two more inches of aperture, which is a huge increase (telescope light gathering depends on area not diameter). It also brings time tested software to the table.

You decide. ;)

#9 teskridg

teskridg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: PA

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

I went from a 5" ETX-125 to an 8" CPC 800, which has the same optical tube as the NexStar 8. It makes a great difference going from 5 to 8 inches in aperture, so going from 6 to 8 inches for essentially the same bucks is highly recommended. I don't think the additional simplicity of the lightswitch technology trumps the extra aperture of the NexStar.

#10 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

I have a C5 and a C8....while I love the 5", the 8" just sees so much more...especially in the city. If I could only have one scope it would be an 8".

Now the the SE use the Vixen bar, you can easily use other scope with it. I'd go with the SE.

#11 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Soyuz

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

Sometimes bigger is better.

Chas

#12 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

Sometimes bigger is better.

Chas

A clear case of "size is everything" Chas :grin:?

Art :grin:

#13 rick rian

rick rian

Seeker of Truth(s)

• Loc: Upper Mid West

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

8SE gets my vote. The ETX-LS has some big shoes to fill with all the hype Meade has provided. If it works as advertised, good. If it doesn't, it will fade quickly and leave those who bought it, not happy.

The NexStar mount offers a lot of flexibility, I have my TV85 adapted so I can use it on the mount as a GOTO. Aperture rules here too, you won't be sorry going for the 8" OTA. Is it perfect? No, but at it's price range it IS a great performer.

As always, my :penny: :penny:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics