CGEM or CG5 - Imaging.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

Also if I ultimately want to stack an APO guide scope will the CG5 be heavy enough to support the weight? I figure it will be close to 20-25lb on a 30lb mount, will that be too much weight??

I'm currently carrying about 24 lbs of gear on my CG-5GT mount. See HERE.

And here are some images taken with the setup:

Andromeda

North American Nebula

Pleiades

Unfortunately the weather hasn't been favorable enough (along with my schedule) to image in a while, but everything is ready to go. I've been imaging at about 320mm focal length with no problems. When I do get out again, I'm planning on going a little deeper with the C6 SCT which is about 960mm focal length (with an f/6.3 focal reducer).

HERE is the native PE of a brand new CG-5 I acquired last fall...strictly out of the box with no mods. The next time I go out I will also record the PE with the autoguider running to see how well it can be autoguided.

If you can afford the CGEM, go for it because it will give you the most room to grow if you want to go with longer focal lengths down the road. If you're on a strict budget, the CG-5 will be very adequate to do significant imaging providing the mount is not overloaded or imbalanced.

Patrick

#27 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:24 PM

I've heard a number of people mention that there is only a 5 lb capacity difference between the CG5 and CGEM.

I own two CG5s. I've never seen a CGEM in person, but I've seen an Atlas at work, which is basically the same as a CGEM mechanically.

Based on this, the CGEM is a *whole* lot beefier than the CG5. The CG5 may be rated for 35 lb, but I definitely would not put that much weight on mine. The Atlas I saw was carrying an imaging payload with a fairly heavy Mak-Newt and piggy back guide scope that would have seriously strained my CG5. It was not breaking a sweat on the Atlas.

I think that the CG5 is one of the best bargains in astronomy and I love mine. But for imaging, I would take a CGEM in a heartbeat - even with the difference in price.

Just my two cents,
-Wade

#28 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

• Loc: Lawndale NC, USA

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:04 AM

OK, I think I am getting the picture, CGEM it is. Now I gotta sell something and start saving my pennies and quit buying other stuff.

#29 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

• Loc: Everett, WA

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:33 PM

Me too...I decided, I believe, on getting the CGEM...I am going to start saving up for that and also start looking in a few months for an excellent used 9.25.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics