What's your workflow look like?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

• Loc: Pacifica, CA, USA

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

After messing around with inverting my Flame sketch, I am wondering what the different styles of workflow you use to generate the "correct representation" images seen posted through the forums.

I'm sure there are several, feel free to post your favorite or most used sequence.

So far for my non-moon and non-color images I take a photo using my dSLR (since I don't have a scanner)then bring that into photoshop.

I adjust exposure, white balance, brightness and contrast from the Camera Raw application.

Then I tweak the levels (RGB or luminance, not individual color channels as I'm mostly working with graphite on white sketch paper) to get the texture/details I'm after.

Then I change the image to greyscale and invert the image.

Then it's back to the Levels to get the background the "black" that I want.

I haven't gotten to develop standard layers so that I can keep the EP view from the sketch while using other color mattes or text to describe the sketch.

What do you do?

#2 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:20 AM

Jim

I use a very similar sequence as you do. However as you may know, I am working with much color and as everyone can see, I find the moon pretty compelling lately. It seems to be a great attraction for the sketch form contest. I use a very limited photo technique as I only have a 5.1 mgpxl Sony Cybershot to photograph my art in natural north daylight. Then upload through Photoshop to make slight color corrections to the overall work for as close to the original art as possible and maybe adjust contrast and brightness minimally. It seems sufficient enough though.

I would really like to do more intense DSO subject matter in sketching but the cold winter weather repells me lately.
:coldday:

A short sequnce of work on Saturn awhile back >

http://s10.photobuck...4ArtTutoria.gif

Mark

My CN Sketch Gallery

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

Jim,

Here is a workflow on my last sketch. Note: I have a scanner, so it is much easier for me to just scan my sketches. I went back and photographed the sketch to process it the way I would if I did not have a scanner.

After loading the image into my pc and opening with Microsoft Office Manager, I crop it, convert to grayscale, adjust the brightness and contrast, invert it and if it looks strange I start over. Photographing the sketch is the most difficult for me. I needed to photograph this sketch 3 times to get an acceptable photo. I never need to scan a sketch more than once unless I use damaged paper in the original sketch. Scanning is easier for me and I tend to be pragmatic.

Frank :)

Attached Files

#4 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for sharing Mark and Frank.

I guess there aren't too many different ways to process sketches eh? I'd be curious how folks work with digital sketching.

One question I have is how to set the "black" on the inverted sketch. I don't know if it's photoshop or me (probably me), but if I invert too soon I'm not able to bring back out the details.

#5 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

• Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

Hi Jim,

You may have already run across this, but I put together some info at my site about the process I use.

Digitizing Tutorial

There are a variety of ways you can approach the details. The description in that tutorial assumes you are just using a single layer, to keep the descriptions simple. I actually use several layers in Photoshop so I can easily edit & undo things. I keep separate layers for text information, the compass rose, labels, star/nebula color, and a curves adjustment layer for light/dark/contrast on the sketch itself. I'll see if I can grab a screen shot when I get home.

#6 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

Hi Jim,

You may have already run across this, but I put together some info at my site about the process I use.

Digitizing Tutorial

Jeremy,

I've looked through your site, but somehow missed that page. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

I'll probably be MIA from the forum for a week (taking the family to NM, AZ and NV), so I'll have to pour through it when I get back.

I hope the weather in Sedona clears up sometime M-W, I'd love to get a sketch of the skies with the landscape in the background.

#7 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

• Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:01 PM

uh oh, it might get pretty ugly Monday/Tuesday. Hopefully there will be a break Wednesday. Sedona should be a place of wonder when the snow tapers off & the sky clears. I hope you're able to get a sketch in when it looks like that!

#8 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:06 AM

uh oh, it might get pretty ugly Monday/Tuesday. Hopefully there will be a break Wednesday. Sedona should be a place of wonder when the snow tapers off & the sky clears. I hope you're able to get a sketch in when it looks like that!

I can't seem to find a reliable weather report, but The Weather Channel looks like partly cloudy for the length of my stay. (Keeping fingers crossed)

Also, I managed to read the link you posted above. Thanks for that, I learned a few tips in Photoshop that I've been wondering about (like how to make a true circle marquee that starts from the center rather than the corner).

Any chance you can export/import color palettes? :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics