Half Hitch v. Stellarvue M6 v. DM

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 donsinger1

donsinger1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:49 AM

I have had a half hitch since they first came out. In fact, I sold my DM6 to get the HH. Hands down, the HH is better balanced and easier to track across the sky with no vibration. I have used it with an SV102 ED and it worked very well.

Don

#27 ottovonrotton

ottovonrotton

Vostok 1

• Loc: Where is Port Perry?

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:06 AM

Hello Bob, I to like the look of the HH and has great features for AP. The way I use my M6 is kind of grab and go, it sets up fast and easy and I can fold up and get in the patio doors fast (with dogs trying to trip me). I have the 2 current scopes on it and plan to add more was even thinking of mounting binos between the tanget arms. But I also want to do AP and therefore I'm now looking at a cube pro for the 80mm.

Cheers

Otto VonRotton aka John Blair

#28 buckeye_hunter

buckeye_hunter

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

I am anxiously awaiting delivery of a Stellarvue M6. It comes with encoders and a couple 8" Losmandy saddles. I will have a small amount of fabricating to attach the saddles to the mount arms. I will wait til I can see the arms to figure out the best way to do it. Seems I can either drill holes in the saddles to countersink fasteners, or fabricate an aluminum plate to bolt to the arms with appropriate holes for the saddles. We'll see.

I was also fortunate enough to find a Tangent Instruments DSC module at a very reasonable price.

Today I took delivery of a Televue Gibraltar Ash mount. It just shouts quality! So my new system is coming together! Not sure how "grab and go" it will be but I really want to try both 'scopes on the M6 with DSC.

I took this route after the preproduction HH mounts were sold out. I think I am still going to spring for a HH Mark II while they are on clearance. Perfect "grab and go" and I just really want one!

Mr. Vanrotten, how did you mount your scopes on your M6?

THANKS to all for their wonderful insight and experience. I have found that this hobby is double fun. Trying different equipment is almost as fun as the actual observing!

Clear Skies and Peace Out!

Bob Hart

#29 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

I took this route after the preproduction HH mounts were sold out. I think I am still going to spring for a HH Mark II while they are on clearance. Perfect "grab and go" and I just really want one!

I got the last pre production Half Hitch mark II mount :grin:
Can't wait to try it out after using just about every alt-az mount on the market!

#30 donsinger1

donsinger1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

Best Alt Az I have ever used and have used quite a few including a DM4, Gibraltar, Voyager, etc..combined with encoders and DSC and it is the easiest, smoothest most portable solution, and elegant...you can tell I like mine:).

Don

#31 buckeye_hunter

buckeye_hunter

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:38 PM

Fate smiled on me over my lunchbreak and 5 minutes after Doug from Virginia (same Doug as above?) listed his preproduction HH on AM I checked the classifieds and pulled the trigger!!!

Clear Skies and Peace Out!

Bob Hart

#32 kwkee

kwkee

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Far East

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

Bob,

Maybe we haven't been that much help, LOL. It isn't an easy decision. Fact of the matter is, I have owned more than a half dozen different Alt/Az mount designs over the years and I never seem completely satisfied. After getting the HH II, I thought for sure I'd give up my Tak Teegul but I haven't been able to part with it yet. I still like to take it out and use it now and then (although admittedly, sometimes it is just because I like the attached eyepiece tray). And although I let go of the DM-6 because of changes in scopes, I miss it and every once in a while take a peek on Amart at the DM-4's..... who knows, I might pick one up some day. I guess I'm an Alt/Az junkie of sorts and a monogamous relationship just isn't in the cards for me - I'm never gonna be a one mount guy, what can I say?. But I should be clear - while I may like to fiddle with different mounts for different scopes, I wouldn't consider parting with my HH II anymore than I would consider parting with my Traveler, the scope I had in mind for the HH II. I guess I might consider it in future if Charles ends up with a HH IV, V or whatever, LOL - but even then I doubt it (I still have my pre-production HH for that matter).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you've narrowed things down to some really nice mounts and in some sense, can't go wrong. But you might ultimately be looking at getting a couple of mounts over the long haul. I'm not familiar with the M6 but assuming its a great performer, it will give you the flexibility of 1 or 2 scopes without too much to give up in the portability department. On the other hand, do you really think you'll have that much interest in dragging both scopes out that often?

I don't think you would have any problem with your 102 plus hand grenade with the DM-4 extension column - it is rock solid (I had the extension with the DM-6, no flex at all). ....bottom line, I see no problem extending the HH II above the top of your tripod with the Discmounts DM-4 extension column just as Tammy has done. If you are thinking about a pre-pro HH vs. the HH II, however, I think you would be much happier with the HH II. The damping time difference may not seem like much but it also makes a difference in terms of wind and also how much it jiggles at high mags when you are using the x-y controls.

If I had to choose to own one mount and one mount only for my 105 - and I wanted ultimate portability AND performance, the use of slo-mo controls, accurate DSCs and a good looking, interesting mount to boot.... I think I'd unquestionably have to give the nod to my HH II. It is truly grab-and-go near-perfected (and I'm not sure anything will ever be perfect when it comes to Alt/Az, but that is probably just me....).

Doug

Doug,

Would you be kind to go through a little on how to setup the mount before using it? I could not find a user manual for this mount.

I want to know how much time it takes and how much effort is required to set it up.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics