Photo

First Real Astro Sketch - Comments Welcome

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Agnotio

Agnotio

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:47 PM

Hello everyone over at the sketching forum. I have been browsing around here for a while to get the materials I needed to start sketching, and last night I got my first chance.

I wrote most of the info about the sketch below it, except for the materials used which were white conté (pastel) crayons and white graphite crayons for the stars, and simple white pencil crayon for the nebula portion on a Strathmore Artagain black-paper sketchpad. Total sketch time was about 20 mins because it was pretty cold out last night, despite it being "warm" for this time of year in Ottawa.

Posted Image

The only thing I'm unhappy with is that the trapezium is quite exaggerated because I wasn't paying enough attention to the size of the field when I drew it. The 68 degree eyepeice really makes it a smaller portion of the field that I gave the impression of. Comments and feedback welcome.

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:23 PM

Your view reminds me of my view of this wonderful object in my 13mm Stratus. This is a hard object to tackle I think and you've done a very good job with it. I like your notes underneath. Well done.

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

Agnotio,

Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Sketching Forum. Your observation of the Orion nebula (M42) is excellent. You have cature the core, Trapezium, and extensions nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

Agnotio - Welcome to the sketch forum

Excellent first sketch :bow: :bow: :bow: You have captured the very essence of many observers first stunning view of this nebula.

I will look forward to your next sketches. I would like to see what you render if you get to a really dark sky site and take a look at M42 again. Prepare to be literally stunned at all the multi ethereal layers of light that will seem to emerge from the darkness.

Mark
My CN Sketch Gallery

#5 Agnotio

Agnotio

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for your responses Jay, Carlos and Mark. I probably have an advantage in these things, being a former art student, but it's always nice to get some positive feedback.

Mark, I do indeed look forward to getting to a darker site for more observing and sketching. I also need a nebula filter, which is the top thing on my wishlist. I enjoyed the pastel sketches in your galleries, perhaps later I will try and progress to more full-blown drawings like yours.

#6 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

Agnotio,

Wonderful work!

Looking good, really good.

I would only have drawn the stars in a 20 minute time frame, let alone the nebula.

Thank you for sharing.

Agnotio, I hope you'll get the chance to return to M42 in the future and spend more time on it.

I look forward to more sketches from your hand. :)

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

Agnotio,

A most impressive sketch. :cool: That is the way the nebula looks to me at that magnification. Now that you are here (welcome!) you simply must return with more sketches.

Frank :)

#8 4Texans

4Texans

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

Agnotio, very nice work. Takes me back to when I first got started in this hobby. I still have my journals with sketches of planets and deep sky objects. Later, I moved to film then CCD. But, now I think spending time at the eyepiece and capturing what "you" see is where I want to go again.

Thanks for the inspiration.

#9 Agnotio

Agnotio

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:07 PM

Thanks very much Frank and 4Texans, I certainly didn't expect to get such kind comments for my first effort. 4Texans, I too am planning on getting into astrophotography at some time, but I think you captured very well the idea and value of reproducing what can be seen observationally. Both pursuits have their rewards, but there is certainly a basic charm in putting the universe down on paper and with your own eye and hands.

#10 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

Nice job, Agnotio!

Scale is one of the more difficult things to master. (It still eludes me, anyway.)

Keep it up,
-- Jeff.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics