Photo

Replacement CGEM delayed (again) I'm turning blue!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

Well, last Friday I received an automated notice and today I received confirmation that Celestron has missed another ship date on the CGEM. Projected delivery for my replacement unit is now another month away. I know I said I wasn't going to hold my breath, but I'm turning blue anyway! :ranting: I tell you though, if I wait this long and they haven't resolved all of the reported problems on what they ship me (longitude screw length, etc.) I'll be more than a little annoyed!

Beo

#2 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

You have more patience than I do! :^)
Blueman

#3 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

Look at this way - by the time it gets here the weather will be good again and you can actually use it instead of just setting it up in living room.

#4 Dr Benway

Dr Benway

Viking 1

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

I just got a notice on Friday that my new shipping date would be 3/17/09. Today I got a notice saying that none would be available until 3/23/09 and mine would ship 3-5 days later.

John

#5 slitherjef

slitherjef

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

shesh...
I woulda requested a refund already. I agree with blueman, you got a ton more patience then I would if I was in this situation.

#6 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

Look at this way - by the time it gets here the weather will be good again and you can actually use it instead of just setting it up in living room.

Actually, we've had some pretty decent weekdays in the last month; it's just weekends that cloud up! My problem is we're rapidly moving out of prime position for Orion and Horsehead shots and I really wanted to improve on what I've been able to do so far. As is, I'll be doing good to get even a quarter of the evening before they start going into the trees.

Beo

#7 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:08 AM

shesh...
I woulda requested a refund already. I agree with blueman, you got a ton more patience then I would if I was in this situation.

Originally I was going to do so, but the CGEM really hits the spot I want to be in, and I can't justify moving up to a CGE. Telescopes.com already credited back the original unit and won't charge me again until they ship the new one, so I still have the opportunity to cancel if I get fed up with waiting. They've also offered to make me a good deal on another mount, so again I can't fault them for their efforts here. As far as Celestron, that's a different story. The original projected date for my replacement unit was the first week of February, which was then delayed to this week, and now to the middle of next month. Given that the CGEM was supposed to start shipping back in October/November timeframe, it really looks like the few that made it out the door weren't much better than betas where they didn't tell the buyers they were beta testers. From the delays, they sure don't appear to have worked out their production issues. Still, one can only hope that they're doing the right thing and holding off shipping until they can guarantee that they'll ship a quality product to everyone!

As for my patience, I don't really have any. The only thing that's helped is I've been traveling for work quite a bit during the previous few weeks and thus wouldn't have been able to do much with it anyway. Still, I was really looking forward to having it at this weekend's star party! Oh well, I'm on the road again next week, so maybe that'll help the time pass again.

Beo

#8 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:04 AM

My concern with your situation is that you have already had a problem with a new product and the chances are that there will be repeats of the problem you encountered and probably new ones.
I am very cautious about buying first year products anymore. I like to see a year or so of other peoples experience before I try it.
Blueman

#9 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

I am very cautious about buying first year products anymore.

Well, at the rate things are going it looks like it won't be a first year product by the time I see my CGEM! I just received notice that CGEM that was last scheduled to arrive next week will now not ship before the end of the month. Celestron has again given the vendor another delay notice, but the vendor's not confident they'll receive it even then. Pretty sad!

Beo

#10 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

They told me 4/1..... Hey wait a minute....

#11 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:40 PM

Not to turn you any bluer, Beo, but a few years ago my one big ticket Celestron shipment was promised in early October (by Celestron to my dealer with all three of us on a conference call) to ship by Thanksgiving. It shipped in mid-March the next year. Every two weeks, "it'll be two more weeks."

#12 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

I feel your pain.
I'm quite impatient myself,but this should be expected with a new product,especially one with electronics.
You would think someone at celestron would get out under the stars and work the bugs out.
I officially apply for the job!
:lol:

Just one of the reasons I decided to get the atlas.

:gotpopcorn:

#13 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:42 PM

I've been very fortunate with my scope purchases in the past 10 years, only a few little things were delayed. Just over 30 years ago was a totally different story. I was part of the investigation into problems at Cave Optical. I ordered a 10" F5 Newt that was delayed over 6 months, and received numerous versions of the ever popular "it will ship next month" letters. I even got a letter from the Postmaster General's office on the subject of mail fraud (I paid half up front and the remainder when it was ready to ship ... the first time). The scope eventually showed up and it was everything I expected and more.

Beo ... great avatar by the way.

#14 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

Hey Mark, thanks. I was pretty pleased with it too. Lulin's was a lot of fun before I had to go out of town a couple of weeks ago, and then the clouds rolled in...

About the only reason I'm not screaming about the CGEM delay is that it looks like I'm headed back on the road this week and, other than between trips the last weekend in March, I won't be back home until after the first week of April. Darn work's gettin' in the way of my new hobby! Now, if my CGEM's not here by THEN, I'm going to have a few choice words with some people!

And thanks to everyone else for their supportive comments. I've said on more than one occasion that I'd rather Celestron take the time needed to send me a working product than send me another dud, but I just didn't think it would take them this long!

Beo

#15 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:40 AM

I must say that after my long delay in getting the 14" dob from Celestron, it was a great performer. My observing buddy now has the mirror and built a new tube dob around it. Sure was worth the wait; I just wish they could find it in their consciences to be honest about the estimated delivery times.

#16 Dr Benway

Dr Benway

Viking 1

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:36 AM

I just ran my order number through Telescopes.com and they have dropped the dream date from 3/23/09 to "Not in Stock"

That doesn't look good, Beo.

#17 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

Well, we've passed the last projected ship date and still no CGEM. I was ok for the past couple of weeks since I was on the road and couldn't really use it, but as another month ticks by with no CGEM in sight, my patience is wearing thin!

Beo

#18 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

That's just not right! I'm sure you've been in constant contact with the vendor you purchased from, what's their response? I can't imagine that the shipment that OPT got a couple of weeks ago was the only units in the world...

#19 Dr Benway

Dr Benway

Viking 1

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

Beo,

My most recent notice from Telescopes.com was they should be in stock 4/6/09 and shipping within 5 business days. I have watched my VISA credit limit go up and down for the last few weeks by the amount of the purchase, but no CGEM and no word from the vendor. Good luck,

John

#20 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

Beo - This is pretty sad, you have my deepest sympathy. I am surprised it is taking so long and I sure hope the replacement doesn't have a problem when it arrives.

#21 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:35 PM

Well, I just finally received the shipment notice for my replacement CGEM a little while ago! It's scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, hopefully right alongside the Denk PowerxSwitch S2 I bought from Counterweight. Wow, two toys in one night. Just so long as Celestron doesn't given me another disappointment! Hopefully I'll get a bit of experience with it all before the thunderstorms move in this weekend.

Beo

#22 coopfore1

coopfore1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:04 AM

Wow about time. I was even starting to get upset. Be really careful when you get. Do not drop it . LOL... I could not go thru another wait like that....

#23 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:56 PM

Very cool!! I'm glad I don't live near you!! You are aware what the 'two toy tantrum' is don't you? It's a direct effect of the truly crummy weather you may have soon... !@#$%

:whistle:

#24 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:28 PM

Well, go figure. Now weather.com is showing mostly cloudy by 9:00 tomorrow night!

Beo

#25 HaleBopper

HaleBopper

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:59 AM

Hi Beo, I've been following your CGEM troubles on the side, and I just want to wish you well this time around. I certainly decided to back off and wait a bit longer before I upgrade from my CG5, based on your "misfortune." However, I'll go out on a limb and say that you'll be pleased with the CGEM in the long run. The weather is another can of worms... :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics