• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joulin

joulin

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

Hello,

I am looking for an replacement for my broken tripod from Skywatcher. Surfing on the internet I discovered the Baader wooden tripod:

http://www.baader-pl...s05.htm#nexstar

With an adapter it can aslo be used for my Skywatcher Synscan motor (That is what Baader mailed me). Is there anyone who has experience with this product or has another suggestion? Baader wooden tripod

#2 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

I could be mistaken but I think this is the same basic tripod as the Astro-Physics wooden tripod. I haven't used either but it has the reputation of being outstanding, especially with the "Lapides spreader". These come up from time to time on astromart.

You should also think about Berlebach Tripods if you are interested in this level of quality. They are more widely available in Europe but if you are located in the US, check out Teton Telescopes, which now carries them. I have a UNI24 that I purchased from Germany and I can confirm it is an exceptional set of legs and probably the equal (?) of the Baader/AP.

#3 joulin

joulin

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

Thanks a lot! But what do you mean by a Lapides spreader?

I've also heared about Berlebach. I live in Holland so Berlebach and Baader, being German products, won't be difficult to get. Of course in my case the Skywatcher Synscan will have to fit.

#4 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

The spreader was designed by Richard Lapides and can be seen here. It was pretty expensive but nicely made and aside from holding eyepieces would allow you to fold the tripod up with it in place. They come up used along with the tripod on astromart now and then - there was a beautiful condition Baader w/Lapides available as recently as last December I believe.

#5 joulin

joulin

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

Well, I am considering buying me one. I will let you know when I do and write a review.

#6 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

Check out the Sokkia tripod at Universal Astronomics, I believe it's some what cheaper. It easily handles my C9 and Giro. It's a truely strange color though. I got mine as a demo with $115 off. David

#7 joulin

joulin

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:36 AM

Well, I ordered the Baader yesterday. As soon as it's there, I will write a review (when the skies are clear, that is....)

#8 joulin

joulin

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:34 AM

Well, here it is and it is superb! Stunning. After a mistake by Baader (they said that my Skymax would fit, but it didn't) everything is allright now. Baader developed a special adapter for me, for free, and it fits now.
Best thing of this tripod? Absulutely steady image when watching, no trembling at all when someone walks by, or whene there is a strong wind.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics