Photo

What you think about the Eazy Touch Alt-Az mount?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 Giovanni

Giovanni

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

Found it here http://www.widescree...-AZ_Mount_.html
what you think about it to support my 80ed pro?
It seems I can't find any good used stuff here in EU and I am getting a bit *BLEEP*, I wanna get a mount to start to get out with the scope and the kids!!!

thanks

#2 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

I have the Orion US version and it is quite robust handling two 15 OTAs (120ED, IM715 MCT) very solidly. I don't believe the WO version has the issues the Orion version did.

#3 Giovanni

Giovanni

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:56 PM

I'd like some european forumist to contact me to advice on where to find the best deals here in the EU on both new and used items, any european here???

thanks

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

Look up the Swiss vendor A OK ... they are the ones who built/build the original version for WO and apparently have a variety of different models to choose from.

#5 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

Giovanni,

I have the AYO version of the WO mount. This is the same as the original WO version which was made by AYO before WO switched production to Taiwan.

If you are looking for the WO version I would have a look here www.firstlightoptics.com

If you are looking for the AYO then look here www.altairastro.com

Both excellent grab and go. I have mine on a Manfrotto 028 tripod. I just crank up the centre column and carry the set up out one handed.

Good luck in your search.

#6 DennisF

DennisF

Apollo

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

I have the original AYO version and am very happy with it. Locks down so you can change equipment without having to worry about a catastrophe and allows adjustment to the point that slo-mo controls are not necessary. Biggest loads I've personally put on it were @7 kilos (one sided) and @13 kilos (2 sided). Handled them well.

#7 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hi Giovanni

There is a reason you do not see many AYO's on the used market in Europe. It seems that the users like to keep them... ;)

As mentioned by Mark and Glen: The original Ez-Touch in silver was made by AOK in Switzerland. The newer black ones are made in Taiwan.
AOK just introduced a lighter version of the AYO that is perfect for scopes as your 80mm. It is specifically designed for mobility and use in combination with a photo tripod. Maybe something for you?
http://www.aokswiss....yotraveler.html

One of the online used markets in Europe:
http://pinboard.astronomie.info/

regards
Chris

#8 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

My review of the original EZTouch is here
http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=1512

I have not been out since November, due to the winter here, and maybe I am just a big baby, but I am using it with a C8 on one side, and a WO 80mm Refractor on the other side with no problems.

Timm

#9 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

Giovanni

There is currently one used AYO advertised:
http://pinboard.astr...php?siteid=2003
Maybe the seller is ready to send it to Italy, worth a try.

Cheers
Chris

#10 Giovanni

Giovanni

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:26 PM

I found the adv AYO on the pinboard, there are two to be exact but didn't get yet any answer from the first of the two while the second asks a bit less than the price of a new one.
at this point I should look for a tripod to match the head but wouldn't want to spend those 400 euros, they are a lot :-(
I have a couple other options like a SW mount that I have never seen before, I posted a thread here to ask if anybody have ever seen it, have also another option for a vixen porta mount but at the end I think I will go for a new one, either a WO, AYO or Giro, let's see...

thanks you all for your suggestions

#11 mblack

mblack

Throw me a bone here

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

G- I've got a late model WO easy-touch and a smooth mount it is. FWIW, I have read that the original AOK version of the mount has the ability to lock the declination axis. (with the obvious benefit that you can change eyepieces without losing the target)

I could be wrong on this :ubetcha: but if the AOK version of this mount head _has_ such a dec lock then I'd say get it :grin:

#12 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

G- I've got a late model WO easy-touch and a smooth mount it is. FWIW, I have read that the original AOK version of the mount has the ability to lock the declination axis. (with the obvious benefit that you can change eyepieces without losing the target)

I could be wrong on this :ubetcha: but if the AOK version of this mount head _has_ such a dec lock then I'd say get it :grin:

My original WO EZTouch tightens sufficiently to prevent movement, but it isn't a true lock, in the way I would think of it.

Once balanced, the tension range goes from zero to very tight quite easily.

Timm

#13 Giovanni

Giovanni

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:00 AM

Hi all,
the problem with the WO is that the dealer doesn't answer me and, in any case, shippings from outside Italy would be expensive.

Italian dealers are superexpensive and I am forced to look on the used market, actually I found a wooden tripod (I'll try to attach a picture) and a home made Giro 3 like head (you can see it in action here http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2z3uP3jg1GI the full set (tripod and head) would be around 300 euros towards the over 400 + shipping of the WO set.

The AYO advertised on pinboard has already gone, firstlight optics doesn't answer my enquiries as they have nice sets in the clearance items so I could make a good deal with an eq mount in this case but, as far as I know, they don't ship clearance outside their country...

I am a bit in trouble, I wanted to go watch the Lulin next week with my kid's friends and am afraid that my manfrotto + ball head would not suffice to afford the kids...

thanks all

Attached Files

#14 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:56 AM

Hi Giovanni

Quite difficult I am running out of ideas.
Is it so expensive to import goods to Italy from other European countries?

regards
Chris

#15 Giovanni

Giovanni

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:25 AM

I don't really think so Chris, the story is that here in Italy even italian products are more expensive than in the rest of the EU, I recently read about italian people going to Germany to buy italian cars as they are less expensive there than here, if you think that Italy is one of the top countries for people/mobile phones people/cars etc you understand we are a good "market" on which to make money and that's why we look elsewhere for our buys.
the problem is that for this astronomy stuff weights are big and shipping charges are excessive as well as shops not willing to ship some brands to other countries as to protect the local importers, let's say from England I can't buy a Celestron because the wholesaler doesn't want to "ruin" the local market, and they say it doesn't exist the protectionism...

#16 Eurusd

Eurusd

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:32 AM

I've recently contacted the guy from AOK AYO by email. I think he could ship it to you from swiss.

#17 Giovanni

Giovanni

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:35 AM

Yes they can and the guy I got in touch with was very kind, the problem is that then I should get a tripod from somewhere else (besides the cost of the AYO that is the same of the set I found and show in the post above) and the cost will be higher than an heq5 at the end...

#18 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

I have the late model EZ and use it with a 110 APO and a 180 Mak Cass, not at the same time though. It's great with these scopes but the fact that it will not lock down is a drawback. It also came apart once at the az bearing dumping my Apo onto the lawn. I lucked out that my scope was not damaged. I also have a Giro Alt AZ I got from Teton Telescopes that I use with my C9. It locks down, is much better quality than the EZ and only a little more expensive. They also have a lighter weight version that would be great for your scope. David

#19 Giovanni

Giovanni

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:06 PM

Oh well, I just finish to read the review of the Eazy-Touch and it seems pretty good, as far as I know not as good as the original AYO but not even same pricy, so, now I am restricting the choice to three mounts:

the WO Eazy-Touch with its wooden tripod

the above (in this same thread a few posts above) pictured wooden tripod with a hand made giro 3 like head

this so called synta eq5 based altaz that I have never heard of before pictured here below

the most expensive would be the WO set as it is gonna be brand new then the other two choices have same price, how would you move?

thanks all for your patience

Attached Files

#20 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

Giovanni,

That looks like a nice piece of kit.

I have seen you have been in touch with Steve/James at firstlight optics. I thought they would give you some help. Their shipping prices are quite good. They certainly don't make money at it (shipping that is).Nice people to deal with.

Hope you have got some instructions for you ED80.

Clear Skies.

#21 Giovanni

Giovanni

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

Steve and James have been very kind, they would be my source in case I go for the WO setup.

Here in Italy there is a guy who builds Giro 3 like heads (I posted a link to a youtube video featuring this head a few posts above) and I found an used one along with the wooden tripod also pictured here a bit above, it will be cheaper than a new WO but I still have to check out with the sellers, I am taking still a few days to think about it, now choice is between these three unless it pops out a better deal.

Found no instructions for my ED80, not that there is much to understand there...

Next step will be to find a RACI finder and, probably, a 2" wide angle eyepiece ;-)

thanks all guys again, so kind and patient with your answers and suggestions

#22 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

Giovanni,

There is no better place than CN for help. Always a pleasure.

Good luck.

#23 mischief

mischief

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

Giovanni, I don't know anything about the Eazy Touch Alt-Az mount, but I just tried out the Astro-Tech Voyager and like it very much. It has slow motion controls which work great. I used it with my Lunt 60T H alpha solar scope and an Orion binoviewer. When I tried this combination on an Orion VersaGo alt/az mount, the eyepiece end was too heavy and the altitude axis kept slipping. No problem with the Voyager; there are other posts on this Mounts forum about it comparing it to various other alt/az mounts, ie: Vixen PortaMount, iOptron cube (GoTo), Orion VersaGo. In the US, the Voyager sells for $299 at Astronomics. It is rated to handle 20 lbs (44 K?, I think 2.2 lbs = 1 K). The mount itself weighs about 13 lbs. I couldn't find anything out about shipping to Italy but they are very nice people and I am sure they will respond to any email messages: http://www.astronomics.com
Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Dorothy :kitty:

#24 Giovanni

Giovanni

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:09 AM

Hi Dorothy,
thanks for your suggestion.

I think I will stich with one of the three solutions I found closer to me, two used mounts, both with wooden tripods, one with a Giro 3 like head (artisan made) and another one with a head I have never seen and heard about (the guy claims it to be a Synta eq5 alt-az mount, boh...) or to go for a brand new WO Eazy-touch from UK but now that the british pound is gaining over euro I think I will have to choose among the two used ones that I can get for below 300 euros shipping included.

Yesterday night I wanted to go see the Lulin but here it is too cold lately, the comet raises after 22.00 and I didn't go but mounted the scope in my terrace (surrounded by taller buildings) and could observe the Orion constellation and the small nebulae in it, I think it's NGC1981, right? Well, it was a wonderful show, first with the 20mm EP then tried with the 5mm one but the actual mount (a manfrotto photo tripod with a manfrotto ball heavy duty head) with legs up to a comfortable height (don't want to bend on my knees to watch...) takes to long to damp vibrations, anyway it was a nice show and I am sure with a serious mount things will get better and better.

thanks all for your suggestions

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics