Photo

Meade LPI driver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 JJordan

JJordan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:41 PM

Hi all,
New on this page. My Meade LPI arived this afternoon and I am ready to shoot it! (I like model rockets also)

All I can find are the drivers for the DSI, the supplied disk doesn't seem to have the correct LPI driver. Vista installs a webcam driver and nothing works.

Any help, many thanks
Jack

#2 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:36 AM

This is a known problem with Vista that originated with the company that supplied the drivers that Vista installs. There's a long discussion of a fix at...

http://autostarsuite...read/15028.aspx

#3 pennyandchris

pennyandchris

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:46 AM

Jack,

Went through ths myself. The Meade Autostar Suite can't drive the LPI thorough Vista, as Meade haven't provided Vista drivers and your PC will automatically install Trust webcam drivers.

There are four ways around this:
1. You can apparently mess around with registry entries to make the Meade software identify the LPI properly (search for Vista LPI in the forums).
2. Use different software like Wx Astro Capture which will work with an LPI using Trust drivers.
3. Change your OS back to Windows XP or earlier (a bit radical).
4. Sell your LPI and buy a differenrt webcam that has Vista support (again a bit radical, but maybe easiest in the long run).

I went for number 2.

#4 JJordan

JJordan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll try installing on an XP machine as well as an XP laptop and see what happens then go back to the Vista machine. (?and blow it up?)
Jack

#5 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

It should work fine under XP, I run mine on an XP machine without any problems. At work I'm using 10 LPI's to take time-lapse images and they're all running on XP machines. I also got it to work under Vista by editing the registry, but that was just a test and I don't use any Vista machine for imaging at the moment.

#6 pennyandchris

pennyandchris

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:01 PM

If you've got an XP laptop available that's probably the easiest.

Best of luck

#7 JJordan

JJordan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

I finally got the "Meade LPI" to showup in the control panel. But when I launch the "LPI Imaging" through AS Image the GUI that opens is not what the LPI manual shows so instructions to "Start Taking Pictures" doesn't work.

What next?
Thanks
Jack

#8 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

Hmmmm, I usually don't launch Envisage through the Autostar Suite, instead I launch Envisage directly. Look in the C:\Program Files\Meade\AutostarSuite\Envisage folder and create a shortcut to Envisage on your desktop.

#9 JJordan

JJordan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

I have launched envisage both ways and still get the same GUI. It dosn't match the one in the manual and the insturctions don't work for the GUI I get.
Jack

Attached Files

#10 JJordan

JJordan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

Snipit from the manual.

Attached Files

#11 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

Ahah! The software isn't 'seeing' the LPI. When it does there will be a tab marked "LPI". Are you plugging in the camera first, the starting Envisage? When the computer detects the camera a faint red light should show through the back.

#12 JJordan

JJordan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for your support. I now have the LPI mostly working on the XP laptop AND Vista machine. Reinstalled the software on the XP fixed it and the regedit fixed the Vista. Still dont seem to have the "Magic Eye Focus" on either machine, must be at the start of the learning curve.

Thanks agin for your help
Jack

#13 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:38 AM

The original Magic Eye focus utility isn't very useful, the updated focus utility in the latest version of Envisage works very well. The best focus utility is a Bahtinov mask. I use one to set the focus of my LPI on a bright star, then slew over to my target.

Have fun!

#14 JJordan

JJordan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:01 AM

The curve just got bigger. I have heard of Bahtinov mask but have zero knoledge of -

Back to the Ingalls ATM books?
Jack

#15 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

Fortunately, focussing masks are fairly easy to make. There are many variants of the Hartmann mask that are very easy to make and fairly effective. The Bahtinov mask is a fairly recent design that's more sophisticated, but very effective. You can find a discussion of the Bahtinov mask in the CCD Forum at...

http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

Below is my Bahtinov mask for my SN6 and my older Hartmann mask. For starters you may just want to make a simple Hartmann.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics