• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:02 AM

If you are looking for a small case to carry the CGEM mount, as opposed to the giant one available at some dealers. Then I suggest the Hardigg Storm Case model im2700, its a perfect fit. I started to get a pelican 1600 but the im2700 is slightly bigger and you need that slight difference to make it work. You will have to remove four of the knobs from the mount but you can hold the saddle springs in place with a single 8mm bolt or just replace them with star knobs (scopestuff has them). I used part of the white foam that the mount was shipped in along with the pick and pluck case foam and glued it all together to make a very stable enclosure. The case also holds the counterweight bar and its big locking screw along with the 4 bolts that were removed to make it all fit.

Total Weight - 55 lbs

Attached Files

#2 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:43 AM

I also found this inexpensive little im2075 case to hold my weights. I don't use the 17.5 lb weight that came with the cgem. I prefer to use the 11 lb cg-5 style weights instead. Three of them are just right to balance the C11 and they fit perfectly in this case.

Attached Files

#3 J_D_Metzger

J_D_Metzger

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:47 AM

I got the iM2720, it is a little deeper than the iM2700, and it has wheels. The wheels are great for an old guy like me. The case and CGEM together weigh 62 lbs, too much for me to carry very far.

I like your idea of taking the counterweight bar apart.

#4 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:43 AM

The pelican 1600 works great also.
If anyone has a link for some decent pricing on replacement foam,it would be appreciated.
I use my pelican case for a number of different telescopes,and new foam would make my life easier.

Some I've seen run $50?

:lol: :roflmao:

#5 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:00 AM

B&H had the best pricess on the cases once I added in shipping cost, which is very high at some of the other vendors. So maybe they have a good price on the foam you are looking for.

I use the Pelican 1600 for my eyepieces and it is almost identical to the Hardigg im2700 except that the inside width of the 1600 case is 1 inch smaller than the im2700. I felt like I wanted that extra half inch of foam on each side since it is already pretty tight. I would say after buying both I feel like the Pelican foam is of higher quality than the Hardigg foam. Otherwise there isn't much difference. The Hardigg latches are kind of nice though. I also found out that Pelican owns Hardigg now. Seems like they would stop making the same size cases and have one company make a bunch of new sizes.

#6 Barry C

Barry C

Mariner 2

• Loc: North Bend, WA

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:43 AM

I use both of these exact same cases :)

The 2700 for ep's, diagonal, filters, etc. and the 2075 for DewBuster and Dew Not strips.

I prefer the latches on the Storm to the Pelican. Also the rubberized handles on the Storm cases are more comfortable.

Barry

#7 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:45 AM

A waterproof foam lined case for counterweights, essentially inert lumps of iron. Now I've seen everything. :lol:

#8 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

A waterproof foam lined case for counterweights, essentially inert lumps of iron. Now I've seen everything. :lol:

I'll admit it seemed like overkill to me at first, but everytime I accelerate or stop the car those weights would slide around in trunk and an 11 lb chuck of metal can be somewhat destructive. So I wanted to get a case to protect everything else from those weights. I looked at other options but this case was the only thing I could find that would hold the weights without breaking or having the handle come off and it was only 40 dollars.

#9 Jeff in Austin

Jeff in Austin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: TEXAS

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

I'll admit it seemed like overkill to me at first, but everytime I accelerate or stop the car those weights would slide around in trunk and an 11 lb chuck of metal can be somewhat destructive.

My sentiment exactly. I use a soft side cooler for my mount case and soft side lunch boxes for the counter weights. I really like the counterweight case, for it's stability in the trunk and it's handle.

#10 NickCat

NickCat

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

I put my CGEM in a Pelican 1610. Fitment was really quite good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The rolling wheels with the pop up handle is a nice touch.

#11 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:29 AM

Lowes has a wide selection of heavy duty nylon tool bags with metal frames. I use a small one for carrying my 18 AH battery, cables, hand controller, CW, and other items. A larger one would be good for a mount, etc. Price was around $12 for the small one. I set it on the ground beneath tripod. IMO, it seems a bit less over-the-top than a Pelican type case for counterweights. But I also think a Pelican case is way overkill for EPs. :lol:

#12 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:06 AM

I'll admit it seemed like overkill to me at first, but everytime I accelerate or stop the car those weights would slide around in trunk and an 11 lb chuck of metal can be somewhat destructive. [/quote]

So now you have a 33+ pound chunk of plastic sliding around your trunk! :roflmao:

Beo

#13 Barry C

Barry C

Mariner 2

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

But I also think a Pelican case is way overkill for EPs. :lol:

Surely that is relative to the cost of the ep's :lol:

Barry

#14 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

Lowes has a wide selection of heavy duty nylon tool bags with metal frames. I use a small one for carrying my 18 AH battery, cables, hand controller, CW, and other items. A larger one would be good for a mount, etc. Price was around $12 for the small one. I set it on the ground beneath tripod. IMO, it seems a bit less over-the-top than a Pelican type case for counterweights. But I also think a Pelican case is way overkill for EPs. :lol:

I actually tried a lowes tool bag for the weights but it broke, that was when I ordered the hardigg case. Nothing else I could find weighing so little could carry this kind of weight. So it isn't a question of providing a water tight case for weights it is simply that there is no other good alternative. Anything you buy at a hardware store to hold these weights securely is going to weigh quite a lot itself and I want the weight of the case to contribute strength not more weight. If you have never used one of the these cases you would be shocked at how strong they are, I was very impressed when I ordered my first Pelican case a few months ago.

#15 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

But I also think a Pelican case is way overkill for EPs. :lol:

Surely that is relative to the cost of the ep's :lol:

Barry

Exactly right, there is a lot of money inside that Pelican 1600. Before I got it I was using three smaller soft cases but I got to thinking how easy it would be to lose a lot of money fast even in a minor fender bender car accident. I am pretty certain the auto insurance company will not pay for that and I am not even sure my home owners policy would cover it either.

#16 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:18 AM

This is kind of a silly discussion, but what the heck. It IS cloudy out.

There's nothing I'm going to subject any of my astro gear to that remotely requires a Pelican case. For one thing, eyepieces are not at all fragile, and there's no good reason to put them in a waterproof case, unless you plan on traveling by small boat in open seas. As for car accidents, it'd take a big one to damage any gear, and then I'd be more worried about flying gear damaging me. If you buy a toolbag to carry your weights, examine it and use your good judgement as to whether it is adequate for the task. How strong is the plastic handle on that Hardigg case? It'd be bad if it broke and the weight laden case landed on a foot.

An expensive case is not insurance. It certainly doesn't insure against the most likely hazard, theft, and might actually invite it. IMO, if you have to rely on insurance to replace your astro gear, you should have less gear and more savings.

#17 NickCat

NickCat

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

Even though the eyepieces don't "require" a hard case, what is the harm in putting them in one? I could care less about the waterproof aspect of the cases, my primary goal is to provide a protected, easy to store case for my equipment.

I see the cases, ever the more expensive ones, as providing me piece of mind, ease of transport, and safe and stackable storage.

We all spend so much on the equipment we put inside these cases (wherever you buy them from), what's the stigma about spending money on the cases themselves?

Certainly there are less expensive cases to buy, but doesn't that come down to personal preference?

#18 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:49 AM

I think this is a great discussion. Lane, you've inspired me to get off my rear and order some Storm cases for my EQ6, spring galaxy season is coming and that hopefully means trips to the pit.
Putting the counter weights in a case is a great idea, now you have a simple tie down point to keep things stationary, or a more convenient way of keeping a counterweight from sliding under a seat under braking. Mine spent a couple trips clinking together and have the paint chips to prove it.
As far as water proof cases, does that not make them dust proof also? I don't know about others but I like to take care of my hard earned astro purchases and cheap and good enough don't apply to precision optics.
Again, great job on the cases and thanks for sharing.

#19 Barry C

Barry C

Mariner 2

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

I for one, like cases. I like to organize my stuff and plan out cases for it. Some people love to make elaborate wood work eyepiece boxes and observing chairs that turn into carts. Some prefer to use old plastic toolboxes for their gear. Who cares? No need to criticize people for their quirks in what is most definitely a quirky hobby... IMHO... :tonofbricks:

Barry

#20 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:32 AM

We may as well give up on Luigi guys. I think he is destined to keep all his equipment in old shoe boxes and paper bags. All these cases and organizing I have been doing over the last few months has made it so I can actually use my hobby room again. Until I got onto this storage case kick all my astro gear was just laying all over that room. I could barely walk around in there. Should make going to dark site much easier too, now I just have to grab 5 cases and I am ready to go, sure beats that long checklist I was using before to make sure I didn't leave anything behind. I actually drove all the way up to the site one time and forgot the hand controller and my 2" diagonal.

#21 Barry C

Barry C

Mariner 2

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:00 AM

Should make going to dark site much easier too, now I just have to grab 5 cases and I am ready to go, sure beats that long checklist I was using before to make sure I didn't leave anything behind.

Exactly. And, around here those clear nights come so infrequently that it's pretty easy to forget something in the excitement to pack the truck and get outside when it actually is a good night.

Barry

#22 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:59 AM

>>>I think he is destined to keep all his equipment in old shoe boxes and paper bags<<<

Hey! I like the concept! Recycle, low carbon footprint, and all that. I have made cases out of shipping boxes and their foam by reinforcing the cardboard and covering it with box tape. But in actuality, I'm a bit of a case junky myself. I get my jollies by going cheap; using plastic tool boxes, storage boxes from Walmart or Home Depot, etc.. Just something practical to get the job done.

#23 J_D_Metzger

J_D_Metzger

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

Considering that I keep about $2,500 worth of accessories in it, I don't think a $175 Pelican case for that purpose is unreasonable or silly...

But a Pelican for counterweights? I lean toward Luigi on that one...I keep mine in a small Igloo lunchbox cooler... :)

#24 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

My counterweights go in the back seat floor board when not on the counterweight shaft. My mount head (an Atlas) goes in a surplus UPS hard case with aftermarket foam - flat, high density with a layer of soft flat on one side and egg crate medium density on the other. The only alternate solution I might consider for hauling counterweights is the JMI Counterweight Caddy. $39 with the advantage of securing all the weights in one place.

http://www.astronomi...oduct_id/255CWT

If I had a truly expensive mount, like an Astro-Physics 900 or 1200 or Takahashi NJP, I would probably spring for a nice case from Scopeguard or perhaps Pelican. But the Atlas is not an expensive mount. It's really inexpensive as mounts go. Thus I use mine with impunity and put it in a case only for convenience and protection of other more delicate gear like OTAs that also go in the cargo area of the vehicle.

For eyepieces, I prefer a hard case with foam that holds each eyepiece securely. I'm not concerned about waterproofing though I do ususaly throw a dessicant satchel or two into each case. In thirty five years of observing, with a collection of 90+ eyepieces currently, I've never had an issue with eyepiece damage. In fact, I'd say you're far more likely to damage an eyepiece due to accidental dropping when swapping it to or from the diagonal than you are from transporting it.

Oh, and I do NOT put all of my eyepieces in a single case. There's no more attractive mark to a would-be star party thief than a large, expensive Pelican case brimming with green-paint eyepieces. I generally have three or four cases on site, and use one while I store the others securely in the vehicle. In fact, it might be a good idea to label your eyepiece cases with things like "Spare Parts," "Cheap-o Eyepieces," "Misc. Cables and Adapters," etc. :lol:

Now if I was traveling up the crocodile-infested Zambezi in an open boat to meet with a rebel warlord with all of my high end camera gear, I *might* opt for a Pelican case...

Regards,

Jim

#25 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

"My counterweights go in the back seat floor board when not on the counterweight shaft"

You should rethink this idea, search around the web and see the number of fatal accidents caused when small objects like this slid forward under then seat and lodged under the break pedal. It happens a lot. Got to be careful putting anything small and heavy like this on a rear floor board. Then there the problem of what happens in a accident, you just don't want things like this loose in the car.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics