Photo

ioptron cube as airline travel mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 scubaanddreams

scubaanddreams

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

I am looking for a mount I can easily take with me on airlines (checked or otherwise) that will also allow me to do 60 seco or so of imaging....

I have yet to see a picture of the cube's tripod and how small it collapses...any feedback would be appreciated.

#2 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

Not sure if the cube will work well for imaging. Remember, it's not an equatorial and it has very limited payload.

#3 Jimyw123

Jimyw123

Banned - Duplicate Account

• -----

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

The tripod of the Cube is 27" long when collapses. I have attached 2 pics for your reference. I noticed recently iOptron released a CubePro with hard case. The case is 28" long that holds the mount, tripod and accessories. I have asked them whether I could buy the case only for my Cube; the answer was yes, but no price yet. I plan to use the case to store the Cube mount and OTA, and leave the tripod in a soft bag when doing air traveling. Jimmy

Attached Files

#4 Jimyw123

Jimyw123

• -----

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:46 PM

Teared in parts.

Attached Files

#5 scubaanddreams

scubaanddreams

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:18 AM

thank you

#6 Astrobuddy

Astrobuddy

• -----

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

Not sure if the cube will work well for imaging. Remember, it's not an equatorial and it has very limited payload.

Please refer to the article of "The iOptron CUBE, A Versatile Astrophotography Tool!" by Jeanette Dunphy in the newest issue of Astronomy Technology Today. I just finished reading and was amazed by the great images. Peter

#7 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

Please refer to the article of "The iOptron CUBE, A Versatile Astrophotography Tool!" by Jeanette Dunphy in the newest issue of Astronomy Technology Today. I just finished reading and was amazed by the great images. Peter
============================================================
I didn't read the article, but will try to do so. Until then, I could understand how you can take pictures of bright solar system objects such as the moon and bright planets, but I wish you would tell us how the article handles imaging dim DSOs.

#8 pearlstar

pearlstar

• -----

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

Is the article online available? If so, could you please send a link? Thanks!

#9 scubaanddreams

scubaanddreams

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:33 PM

Yeah no kidding, thanks for the title of the article (seriously), but I don't get astronomy today :)

#10 Astrobuddy

Astrobuddy

• -----

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

Al, the images are deep sky objects, not bright solar system: the Sagitarius, the Keyhole, Large Magellanic Cloud, Orion Nebula, and the Hamburger. The 60 sec exposure of the Sagitarius was just magnificent.

Pearlstar and Scubaanddreams, I will try to scan the article tonight (use my son's scanner), but I typed the last two paragraphs here for you to peek:

And at the Barambah Dark Sky Camp it was the only scope and camera on the imaging field that was reliably working and imaging for the entire time. Before the event ended, every other set up (some worth many thousands of dollars) had stopped working due to various hard-ware and software problems. It was very difficult not to show how smug I felt about that.

There is a lot to be said about keeping it all simple and the iOptron alt-azimuth go-to mount and scope simply work.

#11 Nathan84y

Nathan84y

• -----

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

here is the link of "The iOptron CUBE, A Versatile Astrophotography Tool!" by Jeanette Dunphy, http://www.ioptron.c...ron_Article.pdf

#12 Astrobuddy

Astrobuddy

• -----

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

Thanks, Nathan! You beat me uploading the article.

#13 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Vendor - Trapezium Telescopes & Services, LLC.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:03 AM

Jeannete's article is an excellent example of how the Cube can perform for those on a financial or weight/space budget. The Cube Pro is even better.

Thank you for posting the link to her article.

CS

Steve

#14 jasonj998

jasonj998

• -----

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:03 AM

Read the article. Excellent! Actually EQ is good for long exposure. However, A-A mount is suitable for astrophotography that needs only less than 1 min exposure time. Longer than that, field rotation effect occurs. It was quite common that when talked about AP it got to be EQ. The fact is that 1 min exposure is good for most of the time. This article did clear some of the misunderstanding.

#15 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:08 PM

the ioptron smartstar cube is both alt-az and eq, this might be the best one for astrophotography, any comments. im thinking about purchasing one for ap. don

#16 Peter King

Peter King

• -----

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:36 AM

The one you referred is iOptron Cube-A, an AA/EQ dual mount with GPS. The tripod has a wedge to set the mount in EQ mode. I own the Cube-E (none EQ, none GPS) and love it very much. For the added EQ, it is definitely a better to have functionality; however, I would not bet too much to be as good as a real EQ, otherwise you should pay much more. Peter

#17 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:26 AM

"however, I would not bet too much to be as good as a real EQ, otherwise you should pay much more. Peter"

I believe that Jeanette definitely disproved that statement with no room for doubt! If not, then read the suggested article, again and again until it sinks in! (Most of her stuff is posted in the Photos Section of the iOptron User's Group on Yahoo.)

I believe that we can safely say that Jeanette has proven that it's not WHAT you own, it's how you USE IT!

Steve

#18 Peter King

Peter King

• -----

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

Steve,
You might not really understand Don's question. He talked about AA/EQ dual mount. Of course I did read Jeanette's article and amazed with her astrophotography with the iOptron basic Cube-E, not the dual mount. No matter it is iOptron or Meade, A-A mount is limited to less than 1 min exposure before field rotation effect occurs. Peter

#19 n1toga

n1toga

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

What's the difference between the standard and the PRO mount? Other than the color ???

#20 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

Peter:

In AA mode any mount is pretty much limited to 56 - 58 seconds, that's a given. In EQ mode the Cube and Cube Pro can do just as well if set up properly. Jeaneatte has proven that it doesn't require Federal funding to get good images. The fact that she used a very "budget minded" mount is diametrically opposite of was suggested about pricing for a good EQ mount.

As for the difference between the Cube and Cube Pro, there are significant items. The most important is that the worm and worm gear in the Pro are both made from metal and are more accurate than the plastic ones in the Cube. Also, from what I could see when examining the internals of both there are better bearings in the Pro.

CS

Steve

#21 n1toga

n1toga

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

THANKS STEVE,
WHAT WOULD YOU SAY ABOUT THE PAYLOAD CAPABILITY OF THE PRO?
RAHUL

#22 Peter King

Peter King

• -----

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:41 PM

Yes, with those magnificent photos by Jeanette using the iOptron basic Cube-E, people should redefine astrophotography. Actually, more than 50% of people only take photo at exposure less than 1 min. Peter

#23 Astrobuddy

Astrobuddy

• -----

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

I just found from iOptron website that the hard case for Cube and CubePro is available at $89. The size 31"x15"x8" is perfect for air traveling, even for small airplane. Compared to the soft bag iOptron offered, I like this one much more.

#24 jim_m

jim_m

Ranger 4

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:12 PM

Field Rotation is not a really big problem any more. Registax software has a "de-rotation"(my term) algryhhm in it.Really does a nice job.
Jim

#25 mtlott

mtlott

Explorer 1

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:09 AM

Is the article online available? If so, could you please send a link? Thanks!

The iOptron web site has Jeannette's Astronomy Technology Today article posted here.

Marie

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics