3 replies to this topic

#1 Hawksbill

Hawksbill

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: S.E. Michigan, US

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

Hello all,

I have an Orion 120ST on an AT Voyager Mount. As many have observed, the legs on this mount are very short and I'm looking for a solution.

2 options which seem popular are the extention tube sold by Astronomics and a set of longer wooden legs sold by Hands On Optics.

Both of these options seem to raise the height by about the same amount (8 inches). They are within $10 of each other in price. I'm trying to figure out which one to go with.

My primary concern would be stability and minimizing vibrations. Does anyone have any opinions on the extension tube vs. the replacement wooden legs option?

#2 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:01 AM

I'd go with the wooden legs. One thing consider: the wood legs will most likely have a larger footprint than the shorter stock legs on the voyager.

#3 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

• Loc: Far South of the flyover city of Chicago

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:26 AM

I swapped out the standard tripod for the Oberwerk wooden surveyor style tripod and immediately gained a foot of elevation with the legs in the all the way in position for my Voyager.
For 75 bucks plus shipping I could not be happier.
m2

#4 Hawksbill

Hawksbill

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: S.E. Michigan, US

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

I swapped out the standard tripod for the Oberwerk wooden surveyor style tripod and immediately gained a foot of elevation with the legs in the all the way in position for my Voyager.
For 75 bucks plus shipping I could not be happier.
m2

The Oberwerk tripod looks very nice. Does the top of the AT Voyager fit right onto it without customization?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics