• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 NickCat

NickCat

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but Anthony posted this Dual Saddle head replacement he's working on over on the Yahoo CGEM group:

http://admaccessorie...AL_SAD_CGEM.htm

#27 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:01 AM

Nice find NickCat - that is exactly what Divers needs. Andy at ADM is correct about that powder coating too, it looks good but the paint scratchs off easily. I already have five or six spots on mine showing bare metal. A black annodized aluminum plate will look much nicer.

#28 divers

divers

Viking 1

• Loc: Apopka, FL

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:20 AM

Thanks NickCat -

Anyone know when they are available?

#29 NickCat

NickCat

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

I just asked Anthony last night via the Yahoo Group for an update, he hasn't replied yet. I know the last time around he said he's been quite busy working on them. According to his last post he wants them "ready for shipping early next month," here is that original post:

I'm sorry if I didn't respond to previous posts about my Prototype kits. It is sometimes difficult for me to find the time to read and respond to all the different user groups. I have several prototypes completed and wanted to update you on the progress. Please check out the link below for a write up on my replacement DUAL-SADDLE for the CGEM. This replacement saddle will accept both V-Series dovetails as well as D-Series dovetails.

http://admaccessorie...AL_SAD_CGEM.htm

As luck would have it the EQG "hockey puck" adapter works with the CGEM. If you are looking for a less expensive alternative you can purchase the DUAL-SAD-EQG. One other
option for using V-Series dovetails is the LOS-VIX adapter. I am now shipping all the LOS-VIX adapters with longer knobs. The previous knobs were too short and hit the CGEM saddle.

If you scroll to the bottom you will also see the replacement rosette knobs that I am working on. Unfortunately the Winter Star Party is going to get in the way of my timeline. I am hoping to have both the DUAL-SAD-CGEM and the knob replacement kits ready for
shipping early next month.

I will do my best to keep all of you up to date as I continue to move forward.

Anthony Davoli
ADM Accessories

#30 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:56 PM

Great idea, but voids the two-year warranty on a new mount, a "modification"...no?

#31 divers

divers

Viking 1

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

Not sure Celestron would worry about a saddle change. If so, just keep the old one in a closet.

#32 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:32 PM

Lane -

Personal preference. The rail that comes with the OTA that actually comes with a CGEM in the kit is different from the d style. It is indeed a little deeper and fits better.

You'll be even more disappointed in the Celstron rail. They are made of aluminum extrusions and are quite flimsy compared to the Losmandy rails. In fact, Astro-Physics warns against using Celestron rails with their saddles. Whether or not the Losmandy rail touches the bottom of the CGEM saddle won't effect how secure it is. Much ado about nuttin, IMO. :bow:

#33 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

Another note, the AMD saddle wasn't designed to correct this supposed problem. The design is to allow the use of either Vixen or Losmandy D series plates in the same saddle. Which, by the way, is an excellent idea. But if using this saddle with D series plates, you will have little contact on the bottom as well, due to the recess for the V plates.

#34 divers

divers

Viking 1

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

LLEEGE -

Are you currently using a d-style with the CGEM carrying a C11?

#35 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

No, but I am using a CGEM with other scopes similar in weight. I do use safety stops with all my mounts and OTA's though, just in case. Ironically, the best one I have came with my C9.25. :question:

#36 divers

divers

Viking 1

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:37 PM

Thanks. Like I stated...chalk it up to personal preference. Kinda like all the people that don't like the saddle knobs. I think they are just fine, but some do not.

#37 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

No problem. I just thought you would like to know the Celestron rails are a bit flimsy.

#38 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

No problem. I just thought you would like to know the Celestron rails are a bit flimsy.

I can't argue with that. The Celestron rail is arguably prettier, and looks lighter - but if I'd been at all serious about imaging with my C11 I'd have swapped the rail out for a Losmandy.

#39 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

Probably the best CGEM related topic on CloudyNights.com :p

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics