Photo

Another CG5 question, if you don't mind...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Audiologist

Audiologist

Mariner 2

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for all the help and the archive of great information.

I'm still not sure what will work as a Dec cable on the CG5 mount. Is it a standard RJ45 or is it something "different"?

I just finished disassembling the RA axis, and I hope I've solved the problem with the extremely tight bearing. I won't be using a camera or laptop, so I opted for a 12V 17AH battery charger and picked up a cord that has a lighter plug on one end and center-positive male plug on the other. As soon as I get my dec cable, I should be ready to fire it up for the first time. If it actually works, I'll have gotten a great mount for less than $150. If not, I've got the coolest paperweight on the planet... :ooo:

#2 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Loc: Blue Island Illinois

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:35 PM

The cable is standard, I had to replace mine when I snagged it getting out of my car. I disassembled mine as well, a good thing to do to clear out the thick grease and get everything going-smooth again. People forget these things traveled 10,000 miles over rough seas, sometimes stuff tightens up!

Good luck with your project!

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

It's not an RJ45 cable (a version of those are used on the larger CGE) ... for the CG-5 it's an RJ11/12 6 pin cable wired straight through (pin 1 to pin 1). Careful with the concept of "standard" as most pre made 6 pin RJ cables you'll find (especially the coiled kind) are wired as crossover cables intended as telephone extension cables and these will not work.

RJ11/12 6pc/6pc wired straight through.

Good luck with the rebuild ... I bet you end up with a great mount at a great price.

#4 TomN

TomN

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:13 PM

If it actually works, I'll have gotten a great mount for less than $150. If not, I've got the coolest paperweight on the planet...

I have tried diligently to rebuild mine so that it works smoothly, I believe it is beyond hope. Truly only useful as a paperweight.

#5 Audiologist

Audiologist

Mariner 2

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:20 PM

It's not an RJ45 cable (a version of those are used on the larger CGE) ... for the CG-5 it's an RJ11/12 6 pin cable wired straight through (pin 1 to pin 1). Careful with the concept of "standard" as most pre made 6 pin RJ cables you'll find (especially the coiled kind) are wired as crossover cables intended as telephone extension cables and these will not work.

RJ11/12 6pc/6pc wired straight through.

Good luck with the rebuild ... I bet you end up with a great mount at a great price.

This is exactly the information I was looking for, and I forgot to ask how it was wired. Thank you! I actually have the cable in my box of odds and ends.
(Does everyone have a cubic meter of old cables, connectors, obselete external devices, chargers, batteries, and transformers?)

Also, thanks for the encouraging words. I've rebuilt manual mounts and was a little afraid of this one. It took me three hours just to get it apart. I had to bag the shaft/worm gear assembly and immerse it in hot water to soften the grease and get them to separate. I spent most of today polishing and deburring, but the surfaces are still binding when I lube and reassemble them. I commited the cardinal sin of using a marine lubricant instead of white lithium, so I'm off to the hardware store...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics