CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another CG5 question, if you don't mind...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Audiologist

Audiologist

Mariner 2

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for all the help and the archive of great information.

I'm still not sure what will work as a Dec cable on the CG5 mount. Is it a standard RJ45 or is it something "different"?

I just finished disassembling the RA axis, and I hope I've solved the problem with the extremely tight bearing. I won't be using a camera or laptop, so I opted for a 12V 17AH battery charger and picked up a cord that has a lighter plug on one end and center-positive male plug on the other. As soon as I get my dec cable, I should be ready to fire it up for the first time. If it actually works, I'll have gotten a great mount for less than $150. If not, I've got the coolest paperweight on the planet... :ooo:

#2 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:35 PM

The cable is standard, I had to replace mine when I snagged it getting out of my car. I disassembled mine as well, a good thing to do to clear out the thick grease and get everything going-smooth again. People forget these things traveled 10,000 miles over rough seas, sometimes stuff tightens up!

Good luck with your project!

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

It's not an RJ45 cable (a version of those are used on the larger CGE) ... for the CG-5 it's an RJ11/12 6 pin cable wired straight through (pin 1 to pin 1). Careful with the concept of "standard" as most pre made 6 pin RJ cables you'll find (especially the coiled kind) are wired as crossover cables intended as telephone extension cables and these will not work.

RJ11/12 6pc/6pc wired straight through.

Good luck with the rebuild ... I bet you end up with a great mount at a great price.

#4 TomN

TomN

Viking 1

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:13 PM

If it actually works, I'll have gotten a great mount for less than $150. If not, I've got the coolest paperweight on the planet...

I have tried diligently to rebuild mine so that it works smoothly, I believe it is beyond hope. Truly only useful as a paperweight.

#5 Audiologist

Audiologist

Mariner 2

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:20 PM

It's not an RJ45 cable (a version of those are used on the larger CGE) ... for the CG-5 it's an RJ11/12 6 pin cable wired straight through (pin 1 to pin 1). Careful with the concept of "standard" as most pre made 6 pin RJ cables you'll find (especially the coiled kind) are wired as crossover cables intended as telephone extension cables and these will not work.

RJ11/12 6pc/6pc wired straight through.

Good luck with the rebuild ... I bet you end up with a great mount at a great price.

This is exactly the information I was looking for, and I forgot to ask how it was wired. Thank you! I actually have the cable in my box of odds and ends.
(Does everyone have a cubic meter of old cables, connectors, obselete external devices, chargers, batteries, and transformers?)

Also, thanks for the encouraging words. I've rebuilt manual mounts and was a little afraid of this one. It took me three hours just to get it apart. I had to bag the shaft/worm gear assembly and immerse it in hot water to soften the grease and get them to separate. I spent most of today polishing and deburring, but the surfaces are still binding when I lube and reassemble them. I commited the cardinal sin of using a marine lubricant instead of white lithium, so I'm off to the hardware store...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics