Mount for TV 102

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lt 26

Lt 26

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:04 PM

In aproximately one month I will be purchasing a TV 102. Sometime down the road I expect to get the mini tower. For now, to get me started, I want to make a convenient grab and go system using an alt/az mount. I was thinking about the Gibralter that TV offers, but, find that some are not completely pleased with this mount. I would like to hear from people who have used this mount with the TV 102 and their experiences. Is this mount worth the money or is it better spent on another option? Like I said I would be using it mainly as a grab and go for it's convenience. Will I be happy or disappointed? Are there other alt/az mount tripod set ups that would work better? Thanks for any advice.

Dereck

#2 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

Dereck,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cost of a Gibralter is almost the same as the Mini-Tower (within $100). Why not just get the M-T and be done with it?

You can always loosen the clutches of the M-T and use it as a manual alt-az mount. It's also light enough for Grab and Go.

BTW - I still love my TV-102. It's a wonderful scope. :cool:

Ron

#3 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:13 PM

I have a Gibraltar mount and it is ok for a grab and go, but I did not pay the price for it as it came with a TV102 that I bought.
I would buy a Gem for the money instead of it though if I were thinking of buying one new.
Used though, it could be a good deal.
Blueman

#4 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:49 AM

Dereck -
To avoid repeating myself, take a look at the discussion in the refractor forum that's titled TV 102 or TV 102
Should be of help to you.

#5 rogerry

rogerry

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: south east Michigan

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:23 PM

I have a Gibraltar that I use for my ED100. I love this mount. It is the benchmark by which I evaluate other mounts. It is extremely sturdy even with the 3 ft long telescope tube. I have had no balance issues with it and I find that adjusting the alt knobs (there are two) is plenty of friction for changing eyepieces or using eyepieces of different weights (of course, I do not own anything heavier than a 4mm Radian). The mount is very well made and the alt and az movements are very smooth. Oh, and it looks very nice in the living room if you must store your scope there.

#6 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:19 AM

Not using anything heavier than a 4mm Radian would make a huge difference. When you use two inch eyepieces, such as the 17mm Nagler, or even the Ethos eyepieces with the 1 1/4 and 2 inch barrels, the additional weight leads to balance issues.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics