Photo

Mount for Starblast

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 yapete

yapete

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

I am looking into buying an equatorial mount for my Orion Starblast. I don't want to spend too much money (<$300), but it would be nice if it could be upgraded with a motor to allow for some photography and not be too shaky. Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

#2 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:11 PM

In your price range, the Astroview Mount might be your best bet. You'll need a couple of tube rings and dovetail plate (check with Orion about the dovetail plate...I see they recently updated the scope dovetail attachment and it may come with a dovetail). Of course, you'll also need the drive motors.

Because the Orion StarBlast is such a short focal length instrument you just might get away with some short exposures. One thing to check before you purchase the mount is to see if you can get your camera to focus okay with the StarBlast. Some Newtonians have a hard time working with DSLR's because they do not have enough infocus.

Patrick

#3 mischief

mischief

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:17 PM

Hi, Orion sells the Starblast with an EQ mount; I think it is the lightweight EQ1. You might check their catalog or web page and see what it is; I think you could buy the mount separately. The one they sell with the Starblast is probably not sturdy enough but you could check it out. Hope this helps.
Dorothy

Orion Starblast
Vixen VMC 110
Orion ST80
AT Voyager mount
Lunt 60T H alpha B600

#4 PianoPaul

PianoPaul

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:40 PM

There is an Orion Starblast 4.5 AP, with a larger secondary, probably closer to the primary, too.You can look at the online catalog specs, I'm pretty sure the ota is shorter. Since they made a different model for AP, I'm guessing you'd find it something of a challenge to do AP with the standard Starblast.

But then again, I know zip about AP.

I think Patrick has it about right for the Astroview mount suggestion. I'm using an EQ1 for very quick looks, but it's not really stable enough for satisfactory use in a long observing session. I found an Orion mount on Amart recently, that was a few years old, I think it was called the Skyview
at the time, but it looks a whole lot like the current Astroview. I find it seriously adequate for the SB, and I bet it would be A-OK with a RA drive. But, Orion has two possible drives, one distinctly better, no doubt the more expensive one. Someone will speak up about that.

If you ever get the chance to score a 1.25" Paracorr for your Starblast, I highly recommend it - improves an already delightful experience, significantly, IMO.

#5 yapete

yapete

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

Thanks. Yeah, the Astroview is the one I was thinking about, just wanted to see if it is ok. I have rings, but I suppose I have to look into the plate. I'll call Orion about that. I think you can do AP with the Starblast. As far as I understand all they did with the imaging version is to make sure that their CCD camera is completely illumated.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics