Photo

What's the matter with my Atlas???

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

I really wish that Synta would migrate the Atlas/HEQ-6 mounts over to a Celestron Nexstar firmware clone. Synscan simply isn't as mature or reliable. Why support two completely different firmware families when you own them both? Nexstar also has one valuable (to me) feature that Synscan lacks - the "Slew to RA and Dec" feature. This is a godsend for double star and variable star work beyond the teeny onboard double star and variable star catalogs. I end up using the User Defined Object feature in Synscan, but that's many more keystrokes, requires separate record keeping to identify what object has been assigned to each slot, and limits you to 25 targets at a time.

Beyond firmware issues, however, I've really enjoyed the Atlas and have used it ALOT without incident.

Regards,

Jim

Dunno why they stick with two systems. Anyhoo, the new Celestron CGEM is basically an Atlas/EQ6 prettied up.

#27 SardonicMeow

SardonicMeow

Lift Off

• Loc: Silver Spring, MD

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:43 PM

That was the fix. All I did was press up (instead of down) to change the "+" sign to a "-" sign and it saved my time as as -05:00.

I doubled checked and pressed down to change the + to a - and it didn't save it.

So, if any new Atlas owners come across this thread and have the same issues as me, the fix is as easy as pressing up instead of down. Though it shouldn't be like that and hopefully the new controller Orion is sending me doesn't have any of those issues.

For the record, the hand controller with this issue that came with my new Atlas had version 3.23 of the firmware. If the replacement hand controller that Orion is sending you has the same firmware, it's likely that the bug will still be present. I wonder if the bug was introduced by accident in firmware version 3.23 or another recent firmware update.

(I did notice, while searching for insight into this problem, that on the Skywatcher site, there is a version 3.24 firmware available. However, the release notes don't specifically mention a fix for this problem. Also, I don't want to install that firmware and later, if I have a problem, have Orion tell me that they can't help because I used a firmware update that wasn't blessed by them.)

#28 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

The DST bug has been around for several versions of firmware, back to V3.24 at least, based on traffic on the Yahoo! EQ6 Users' Group. I didn't check on a fix because I always use a "+" (no particular reason!) so I've never seen the issue. Plus, most of the upgrades keep your local settings during the upgrade.

I really wish that Synta would migrate the Atlas/HEQ-6 mounts over to a Celestron Nexstar firmware clone. Synscan simply isn't as mature or reliable. Why support two completely different firmware families when you own them both? Nexstar also has one valuable (to me) feature that Synscan lacks - the "Slew to RA and Dec" feature. This is a godsend for double star and variable star work beyond the teeny onboard double star and variable star catalogs. I end up using the User Defined Object feature in Synscan, but that's many more keystrokes, requires separate record keeping to identify what object has been assigned to each slot, and limits you to 25 targets at a time.

Jim, in those instances I just hook my laptop to the hand controller and do a GOTO from the screen of a planetarium program. I do a lot of looking for faint comets, and this works just fine; one click to get the info window, one click to senter on the object is pretty efficient!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics