Richard Balisanyuka First Sketches Uganda

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

Linda and I spent some time with Richard, who is now in overall charge of the astronomy equipment and the sketching contest in Nyamabuga Primary/Secondary School in Uganda, where we have been sending equipment/materials and training teachers. Richard was excited about his first sketches, of which I asked to take two of them to scan and show this forum. If you care to comment, I will cut and paste comments into a document and send them back to him along with his original sketches. Why all this? No power, internet, or normal communications with a little village like this in a rural area of Uganda. Nevertheless, he is hooked: wants to sketch and observe and teach others to do the same.

His first sketches were of the moon under typically cloudy conditions. He used a basic format page that we provided. Because the weather is often not very good, we encourage them to sketch anyway if anything can be seen since it teaches them to make the best observation possible and get practice. He did just that.

His second sketch will be in a reply to this post.

Roland

Attached Files

#2 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

This is Richard's second sketch, which is really a series of sketches. We sent word to them about the conjunction between Venus, the Moon, and Jupiter. He took the opportunity to observe several times and did what I consider an excellent job by making successive sketches and comments. This is a two part sketch. The first part is below; the second part is in the next reply to the thread.

Roland

Attached Files

#3 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

Here are Richard's next three sketches with the times listed for each. I have to admit I got excited about his work and attention to detail. Roland

Attached Files

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

On a last note, Richard filled in the dates on his moon sketches after the fact. They were actually in 2008.

In our review of observing with Richard and two other teachers, we also presented the rules for a sketching/observing contest for the children that will take place over this coming school year. All three gentlemen seem excited about combining the disciplines of observing and sketching. Their teacher scope kit is a little 80-mm refractor but they also have 7x35 and 10x25 binoculars.

It could be an exciting year for them.

Roland

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:58 PM

Roland and Linda,

Richard,
Congratulations to you on producing such fine sketches of the moon phases and planets. :) Very nice work indeed. You captured some beautiful views that I missed because of cloudy conditions from where I live in the middle of the USA.

Frank :)

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:17 AM

Roland and Linda,

Please congratulate Richard on an excellent series of observations of the Moon and conjunctions. I am happy to see your owrk with these educators taking fruit.

Carlos

#7 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

Roland and Linda,

This is very good news.

Richard is doing great with these sketches.

Who knows what the future will bring us, more sketches from Richards pupils?

#8 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the comments so far. I will relay them in a week or so.

Rony, yes, that is the idea: pupils will be sketching. The observing sketching contest goes most of this school year so I will be really interested to see what gets mailed to us to judge and award.

Roland

#9 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

• Loc: Pacifica, CA, USA

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:58 AM

That's great work that you have done, I can sense the enthusiasm in the sketches.

Will you be sharing the contestants' sketches, or just the winners? :grin:

#10 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:14 AM

Roland,

Will these pupils lose their sketches as they have to be mailed. Or will someone make copies somewhere?

#11 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

I have no idea a this point. We have a web site under construction where the teachers will be able to become members on a forum so we can help them with questions. At that location we will definitely post the winners (1st through 3rd place for each class that submits at least 10 sketches. We were pretty specific with the rules and the contest concepts to encourage participation, but it will take place over several months. So we don't really know how it will go. We will be able to take the same photos and post a few here, but most will probably be on the christworks ministries web site, which should be up and running in a couple months. I will also post the contest rules and concept as a file, because we thought through it pretty carefully. Others may be able to use it.

Roland

#12 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

Roland,

I enjoyed examining the moon phases and the capture of the light and dark. What a wonderful gift and a wonderful opportunity you have given them. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to see not only more of Richard's work, but the others as well.

#13 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:13 AM

Rony, sorry I missed your question earlier. If things go right, all the sketches will be sent via snail mail to me; I will scan them; I will return the originals to their owners in Uganda as soon as the judging is complete so they will not lose their work. Unless the mail messes up, nothing should be lost.

Thanks everyone for comments. I cut and pasted them today to a document that will be mailed to them. If anyone else wants to comment, please send me a PM today so I can include it. Otherwise, I will go with what I have. Thanks again.

Roland

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics