Photo

Uganda Demonstration Sketches

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:54 PM

The dry season in Uganda this year was wet and cloudy, so our opportunities to demonstrate equipment and sketch were very limited. In this post there are two sketches to give you an idea of what we did. The first one (upper sketch) was done in our host's backyard, where we had gathered a few children and adults to see through a binoculars and a scope for the first time. While talking and running back and forth I sketched the top image on the sketch sheet using a low power eyepiece in the Vernon Scope. I was showing the elements we wanted to see on a sketch (name, date, equipment....signature, age....scripture reference...title) along with the basic sketch. The clouds were running across the moon so that is exactly what I drew in front of them.

The bottom image was a day later using a binoculars where the moon was just above a tree. So it showed them a little different arrangement but the same elements.

We used this sheet when we did a review with the gentlemen in charge of the astronomy equipment to encourage them to get started (as Richard has already done).

Roland

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:04 AM

Roland,

Very nice, is this graphite pencil? :bow:

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:04 AM

Roland,

Very nice observations of the Moon during your visit to Uganda. It must have been a sight over the African sky.

Carlos

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:07 PM

I don't remember but I think it was a medium hardness graphite pencil. We bought sketch kits then gave them to all the teachers before we left, so I did a brain dump about what we used and what was in them.

Roland

#5 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

Roland,

A very good demonstration.

Thank you for sharing.

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

thanks all. they were not the best sketches but were nonetheless fun to do.

while not sketched, late one night I was with a Ugandan pastor after a horrific thunderstorm, which was followed by clearing the east and the magnificent rise of a full moon. while not sketched, it was a sight to behold and a good time to explain to the young pastor how the wonder of the heavens tends to open up after a storm break.

Roland

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics