Photo

Considering a CG-5GT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:01 AM

I'm thinking of buying a CG5 since it is becoming all too obvious to me that using my LX90 as an imaging platform is just too much of a pain in the you know what. I wanted to guide using my LX90, but the tiny FOV is really getting to me and just the cumbersome size of the whole thing is a real pain. I'm looking for a lightweight solution that offers wide field guiding and imaging and that also breaks down easily. And my understanding is that it is easy to break down an EQ into it's parts and haul out the door and back in. So what I'm considering is imaging through my Orion 80ED and getting a ST80 for guiding with my DSI and mount all this on top of a CG5. I'm assuming the CG5 should easily handle this, as its capacity is near 35lbs. My questions are: Is my assumption correct about the weight and will I be able to guide the CG5 with a DSI? Also, which dovetails and rings exactly would I need to piggy back the ST80 on top the 80ED and what dovetail do I need to attach the 80ED to the mount itself? Sorry for the length of this..

#2 InterStellarGuy

InterStellarGuy

Viking 1

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:08 AM

CG-5 Uses a vixen style dovetail, you can see on my OTA in this photo:
http://s259.photobuc...nt=DSC00120.jpg

On autoguiding, yes, but youd need the ASCOM drivers and the other people on here who have used the DSI seem to mention having GPUSB for this purpose.

Im sure one of them will see this thread and supply more info.

#3 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:22 AM

I've done exactly the same and so have hundreds of others. Here's a pic of my set up...

Attached Files

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:08 AM

On autoguiding, yes, but youd need the ASCOM drivers and the other people on here who have used the DSI seem to mention having GPUSB for this purpose.

Im sure one of them will see this thread and supply more info.

Kinda. You can autoguide SERIALLY using ASCOM drivers, but if you don't wanna do that, you don't have to. The CG5 has an autoguide port for guiding with a standard ST4 cable. That cable, a GP USB (or the parallel port version) adapter from Shoestring, and the DSI works great--that is how I guide my CG5, BTW. You need either the GP USB OR ASCOM, not both, for guiding.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

I'm thinking of buying a CG5 since it is becoming all too obvious to me that using my LX90 as an imaging platform is just too much of a pain in the you know what. I wanted to guide using my LX90, but the tiny FOV is really getting to me

I love my CG5, but let us not be hasty. A buddy of mine is doin' great imaging with his LX90. Some ideas:

--Don't like the tiny field of view? Have you thought about an f/3.3 or f/6.3 reducer? At 3.3, the scope's focal length is in the 80-mm refractor range.

--Why not piggyback an 80-mm on the LX90? As long as you are balanced, it will handle the load. You could then guide through the main scope.

--Yes, the CG5 will break down into small pieces, but an LX90 really ain't that bad when you think about it.

;)

#6 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

--Why not piggyback an 80-mm on the LX90? As long as you are balanced, it will handle the load. You could then guide through the main scope.

--Yes, the CG5 will break down into small pieces, but an LX90 really ain't that bad when you think about it.

;)

I've piggybacked the scope and it just isn't my cup of tea. The bulk and size of an LX90 is a major problem for me when hauling it out of a tiny doorway.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics