Photo

Any difference between the LXD75 and CG-5GT?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

• Loc: PA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:05 AM

I am considering purchasing either one as they are both cheap and about the same price. The CG5 apparently can hold 5 more pounds of weight than the LXD75. Can anyone attest to this being true and is this a significant enough difference to buy a CG5 over a LXD75? I already have a 497 AutoStar from an LX90, but would that be compatible with the LXD75? I am very familiar with how AutoStar functions, but is the Celestron hand paddle all too different? If you were in my shoes, which would you purchase, the CG5 or LXD75, to mount two 80mm refractos?

#2 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

The CG5 GT is your best bet! Very reliable, very effective. Additionally, the cost is very good...$599. Suggest you buy from the dealer who also offers free shipping.

#3 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:44 AM

There may be a comparison of the LXD75 and the CG5 in the Cloudy Nights review archive. Yes, your #497 controller will work with an LXD75. I did somthing similar; many years ago I bought my LXD75 as an EC model without the controller since I was able to buy a #497 locally. I've had an LXD75 for a little over 5 years now (has it really been that long?) and it has proven to be a real workhorse.

Either mount should easily handle the weight of two 80mm refractors. If you end up pushing the weight limit you need to be sure the mounts are in good working order and in good balance.

My LXD75 with two 4.5" f/4 Orion StarBlasts configured for imaging...

Attached Files

#4 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Vendor - Trapezium Telescopes & Services, LLC.

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:11 AM

They are, for all practical purposes, the same mount. In fact, many of the internal parts will swap out. The Autostar should work fine.

Use Super-Lube. Do NOT use your garden variety lithium grease. Over time, it will break down and it does not perform well in cold weather. Super-Lube is superior in all ways to Lithium.

For the price, a new one is a pretty good deal.

Steve

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:03 AM

I am considering purchasing either one as they are both cheap and about the same price. The CG5 apparently can hold 5 more pounds of weight than the LXD75. Can anyone attest to this being true and is this a significant enough difference to buy a CG5 over a LXD75? I already have a 497 AutoStar from an LX90, but would that be compatible with the LXD75? I am very familiar with how AutoStar functions, but is the Celestron hand paddle all too different? If you were in my shoes, which would you purchase, the CG5 or LXD75, to mount two 80mm refractos?

They are similar looking, but are built by different Chinese outfits. The LXD75 should get my "most improved" award...but I think the quality of the CG5 is still a wee bit higher. I know I'll have been using my CG5 for visual and imaging work for four years this spring without a hiccup. Any problem I have had has always been "pilot error"... :lol:

#6 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Loc: Sonoma, Northern California

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

I've owned and used both and my personal feeling is that if you happen to get a buggy LXD75, those bugs are easy to deal with and once done so you have a better mount than the CG5. Not by much though as has already been noted here and on other similar threads, you can't go wrong with either mount. The things I like over the CG5 are the sturdier tripod, better bearings, it's white and I have white refractors. The CG5? The tripod is a bit taller than the Meade and that is important if you have a big and long focal length yard cannon. The shortcuts option is cool too and not available on the 497 controller.

Attached Files

#7 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

I'm also considering the Orion Sirius EQ-G. It is twice the price and has basically the same weight capacity as the LXD75 and CG5, but I have heard it uses the motors from the Atlas mount and is much quieter than the CG5.

The reason I'm not considering any heavier mounts is because I don't want to carry all that weight and I won't be mounting anything that heavy. What does everyone think about the Sirius mount?

#8 Zebra24601

Zebra24601

Hubble

• Loc: San Gabriel Valley, CA 91770

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

I like it, and it's MUCH quieter than the CG5/LXD75 class. It is very heavy and sturdy (particularly on the 2" legs I have mine sitting on). In fact, it is heavy enough that I usually transport it separate from the tripod, and attach the two at my observing site.

But I bought mine used. In comparing new prices, I don't think it is twice as good. Also, the short counterweight shaft means you have to really load it up to balance your payload.

#9 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

Ok, I'd say that the LXD75 and the CG-5GT are a toss up, esp. since the Meade got the 2" legs.

Each has a weakness or two, but in the end the dollar for dollar of these mounts are very hard to beat.

I like SkyAlign, but then the ability to download tours and the ability to cut the slew rate -especially if you've loaded the mount with a heavy scope- is a big plue for AutoStar.

While the I have the 75, I also have an SLT - so I've got lots of time on both controllers. If you like the autostar stay with it.

I'd say it really is a toss up, with maybe you already owning the controller sways it a little toward the LXD75. But then the new HC for the Celestron with the any star align is pretty cool....Really a hard choice between these two mounts.

#10 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

• Loc: Connecticut - U.S.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

The LXD75 is LOUD!!! When I used one, I literally woke up my neighbors. It sounds like a huge coffee grinder on crack when slewing. On those humid nights in the summer when sound travels well...

IMHO

#11 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

Post deleted by domerman000

#12 ................

Viking 1

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

Post deleted by mosdc61

#13 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

The Sirius EQ-G is really starting to look like a nice deal for me, as there are many showing up in classified ads and it seems to be much quieter than the other options. And noise is a definite issue for me. I was considering an Atlas as well, but the weight seems to be just way too much to handle on a nightly basis.

Is the Sirius EQ really THAT heavy as you say, Zebra24601? It's weight appears to be only about 40lbs and I'm assuming some of that is counterweights that are removable.

#14 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

Ok, I'd say that the LXD75 and the CG-5GT are a toss up, esp. since the Meade got the 2" legs.

Each has a weakness or two, but in the end the dollar for dollar of these mounts are very hard to beat.

I like SkyAlign

Alas, SkyAlign is _not_ available for the CG5 or any of Celestron's other GEMs. It is still "alt-az fork only."

:bawling:

#15 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for the input on the noise here Trebor. I'm glad now I cancelled my CG-5 order; if it can wake your neighbors, then...

It's loud enough, but wake the neighbors? Maybe if they sleep on the back porch... :lol:

#16 vegasMike

vegasMike

Viking 1

• Loc: Las Vegas

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:33 PM

my neighbor kindly turns her porch light off when she hears the 'grinder' starting up in my back yard...

-proud Autostar junkie

#17 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

• Loc: Connecticut - U.S.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

By the way, I thought the LXD75 was a good mount. I just thought it was a bit loud and wasn't enough of a mount for the SN10 (and my 80mm piggybacked with EP's camera's mounting plates, etc, etc.)

#18 Zebra24601

Zebra24601

Hubble

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:20 PM

The Sirius EQ-G is really starting to look like a nice deal for me, as there are many showing up in classified ads and it seems to be much quieter than the other options. And noise is a definite issue for me. I was considering an Atlas as well, but the weight seems to be just way too much to handle on a nightly basis.

Is the Sirius EQ really THAT heavy as you say, Zebra24601? It's weight appears to be only about 40lbs and I'm assuming some of that is counterweights that are removable.

Yes, the counterweights are removable.

If I'm just moving it from my downstairs room out the door and into the yard, then, no, it doesn't have to be broken down. Definitely easy enough to carry fully assembled for short distances. But when I put it in the trunk of my car, I do break it down.

For me, having to reach into the trunk, it seems to me that it's just heavy enough and at just the right height that I could hurt my back. Reaching into a trunk, there's just no way to use your legs in the lift.

I am probably being overly cautious, but there have been a few times when I tweaked my back just "wrong" and, boy, did THAT hurt!

So I'd say if you're not putting it in a trunk, or if you drive something without a "lip" at the end of the trunk (if you drive a hatchback, a wagon, a pickup truck, an SUV, etc), this lift would not be a concern, even for me.

#19 Zebra24601

Zebra24601

Hubble

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

my neighbor kindly turns her porch light off when she hears the 'grinder' starting up in my back yard...

-proud Autostar junkie

That's hilarious! :roflmao:

Mine would often turn theirs *on*, probably because they heard a mysterious grinding noise coming from next door. :D

If I set up near them, I try to use the "quiet mode," at least after I've done the initial alignment. I don't have the patience to do the initial alignment in quiet mode. It takes too long. :D

#20 InterStellarGuy

InterStellarGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Overland Park, KS

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

the CG5 GT has celestrons all new all star polar alignment routine when you update the HC to version 4.15, and this makes Polar alignment alot easier to do.

#21 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

I just had one more question about the Sirius EQ-G. What type of dovetail plate does it use, losmandy style or vixen?

#22 Zebra24601

Zebra24601

Hubble

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

Vixen.

#23 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:34 AM

I don't understand the comments about the CG5 legs - I just bought one (CG5-ASGT) and it DOES have 3, 2" legs... it's a great mount :) Are you referring to an older model? must be!

#24 ................

Viking 1

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

Post deleted by mosdc61

#25 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

I was under the impression the CG-5 was more sturdy, and it was the LXD that had 1.75" legs. Has Meade upgraded and not updated their advertised specs or manual?

Years ago. The slim legs were offered for only about the first year or so of production.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics