Advantages of side by side setup?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:46 AM

Does the CGE Pro also have limit switches like the CGE? Just curious.

#52 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

• Loc: CO. Aurora, USA

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:09 PM

John,
Am I correct in thinking that the scopes would be 90* off when you use the SBS saddle? If this is true, wouldn't your gotos be off by 90*? And how would you correct this.? It just looks to me that the scopes would not be pointing in the right direction, not north south like when you use a standard dovetail.
Dan

#53 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

John,
Am I correct in thinking that the scopes would be 90* off when you use the SBS saddle? If this is true, wouldn't your gotos be off by 90*? And how would you correct this.? It just looks to me that the scopes would not be pointing in the right direction, not north south like when you use a standard dovetail.
Dan

The mount has no way of telling what the initial position is. It presumes that you are beginning with the OTA pointing North, and does the first alignment star slew based on that presumption. If, for some reason, you begin with the OTA pointed some other direction then the first alignment star slew will be way off and will require substantial correction to center the alignment star. After you center the alignment stars, all will be well again. Goto operation is based on the alignment stars, not on any initial, pre-alignment position.

#54 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:18 PM

So once you go through the alignment stars the mount will know where you are and not care that the scopes were 90 out at he begining, is this correct?
Dan

#55 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:21 PM

So once you go through the alignment stars the mount will know where you are and not care that the scopes were 90 out at he begining, is this correct?
Dan

Yes. There's no reason to begin with the OTA pointed sideways, though. Alignment will be quicker and easier if you begin with the OTA pointed North.

#56 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

I have not gotten the eq6-pro yet, so this may be a dumb question. Does the eq6-pro have index marks like the cg5asgt mount that I have now. So I gues my question is, even if it does have index marks, you line them up(even though the scopes will be 90 out) then go through the alignment as normal?
Dan

#57 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

I have not gotten the eq6-pro yet, so this may be a dumb question. Does the eq6-pro have index marks like the cg5asgt mount that I have now. So I gues my question is, even if it does have index marks, you line them up(even though the scopes will be 90 out) then go through the alignment as normal?
Dan

Better to ignore the index marks and point the OTA North. Alignment will be quicker and easier. The mount, having no index switches, will never know that you are not using the index marks.

#58 donsinger1

donsinger1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

So, if I understand you correctly, in using the side by side configuration, with my EM11 and Temma II Jr, I would have to tell a program like TheSky6 or Astromist that the DEC is offset by 90 degrees?

Thanks,
Don

#59 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

So, if I understand you correctly, in using the side by side configuration, with my EM11 and Temma II Jr, I would have to tell a program like TheSky6 or Astromist that the DEC is offset by 90 degrees?

Nope. Neither the mount nor TheSky knows or cares that the DEC is offset; they just know where the telescope is pointed. Just align or synch as usual. Works fine with my Temma NJP and TheySky6 in sidebyside mode.

#60 donsinger1

donsinger1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

Great!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics