• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ragebot

ragebot

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tallahassee, FL, USA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

This past Saturday was the Open House at the Mag Lab at FSU. Reports are around 5k peeps showed up to see what they do there. The Tallahassee Astronomical Society set up their table there and had solar telescopes set up for observing.

Skys were clear, not a cloud in site and I set up my SS SO 1.5 <.3 filter on my Meade AR5 on an Atlas mount, and my Lunt 60 CaK and DS SM 40 filters on my ED80, both on an iOptron MiniTower.

Here is the pix.

Attached Files

#2 Keith Howlett

Keith Howlett

Apollo

• Loc: Northumberland, UK

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

Hi Tom,

That's a really nice setup you've got there, I particularly like the 0.3A yard cannon. :cool:

Looks like a nice sunny day too.

Cheers,

Keith

#3 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

...I particularly like the 0.3A yard cannon. :cool:

Me too!

The event sounds like it was a success. I love hearing the responses from people that have never viewed the Sun before. Did many people come over to share the views?

#4 ragebot

ragebot

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:37 PM

Hi Erika,

There were constant lines for both the rigs. The Observing Chair of my club ran the SS setup and I ran the DS SM40. I tried to tune for proms and then for surface structure, while Gene just let them look in the EP.

This pix was taken right after the event ended at around 3:00 PM.

I am never shocked by the reaction some peeps have when viewing the sun. They run from all I see is a red blob to those who clearly see proms or other features. I had a long discussion with a researcher from the Mag Lab about the difference between the two rigs and how I could tune the DS SM40 to show proms and surface structure; while Gene just was able to show views of surface structure, but boy were they good views.

The researcher clearly understood how the wider bandwidth of the DS SM40 compensated for the Doppler effect on proms of the suns limb, and she was a real joy to talk to.

On the other hand as I was starting to put the stuff away the first thing I did was put caps on the OTAs of the DS SM40 and Lunt 60 CaK when some kids and their parents came up and looked through the EPs and said they could see the sun and commented on how interesting it was. Even after I told them there was a cap over the OTA they still kept on commenting on how cool the sun looked.

Gene mentioned that one could run an interesting psyc experiment at any public solar viewing event.

Still it is always worthwhile for me to do events like this because I know at least one person, and in reality many more, did view the sun and at least got a little more interested in it.

#5 clearskies

clearskies

Apollo

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

Great stuff and it looks warm and sunny.....not like Sweden right now, clouds, snow and cold....

Regards
P-M

#6 juergens

juergens

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: N: 53.40 E: 12.21 Gnevsdorf (G)

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:14 AM

Great setup!

CS
Matthias

#7 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:34 AM

Tom --

Do you have a detailed comparison of the DS40 vs. SS 0.3 anywhere I could read? I'd very curious to see how they compare as both my rigs are fairly wide (0.7 and 0.5).

Also, what aperture are you running the SS 0.3 at? (It looks like the ERF is in the 90mm range?)

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

#8 Keith Howlett

Keith Howlett

Apollo

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

Yes, more details about the yard cannon please. :jump:

Would it be handy to cool it like the ASO?

Cheers,

Keith

#9 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:31 PM

Nice setup you've got there!

#10 ragebot

ragebot

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

I have had the DS SM40 with the Coronado OTA for a couple of years, and a few months after I got it OPT finally shipped the adapter so I could put the stuff on my ED80.

My experience has been that when used with the Coronado OTA is is a great grab and go rig, I can be viewing in a couple of minutes after I plug the extension cord in. Some times it takes a little spin on the wheel to tune it a little, but I get to see the sun's surface in a hurry. I also think when you have played around with any setup for a while it gets easier to use. There is also the learning curve of solar observing with specific setups that you need some time to master. All in all I am very happy with the DS SM40, both with the Coronado OTA and on my ED80.

The SS is a whole different story, and not just because I have only been using it for a couple of months. Once I get the OTA on the mount the first thing I do is plug in the fan and start the temperature equalizing. Then I bring out chairs, and maybe bring out my iOptron mount with the CaK OTA on it. Maybe then I plug the mount power in and turn it on. Next I start getting the sun in the FOV. I usually wind up waiting at least 10 minutes before I even try to look in the EP.

But sooner or later the temp gets close to where it is suppose to be. There are two temp displays on the box and once they are equal or at least fairly close I start peeking in the EP.

I view this the same way I view waiting for my Mak to cool down, I am not really happy, but I know the wait is worth it. Once things get right all I can say is WOW. The image in the SS is much brighter than the SM40 image, contrast is much better, and the image is also bigger (probably due to the 1.5 SO verses the BF10; and the dialetic quarts diagonal in the Moonlight focuser verses the standard Coronado diagonal).

Maybe the best comparison I can make is along the lines of a c8 verses a c14. The c8 is a great scope and does a fine job at lots of stuff, but the c14 is in a different class. And while the c14 is not in a class by itself, it sure does not take long to call the roll.

I know there have been tons of threads about how long between the first announcement of the Lunt and when they started delivering them, but I view Lunt production as speed demons compared to how long I had to wait for my SS. Still the wait was worth it and I would do it again.

There is something about looking into a 2in EP and seeing a big bright image of the sun with almost three dimensional detail that a SM40, SM60, or probably a SM90 can not compete with.

Just as an aside I got on the four month waiting list for the Mallincam last week. I am a glutton for punishment.

#11 ragebot

ragebot

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:52 PM

Tom --

Do you have a detailed comparison of the DS40 vs. SS 0.3 anywhere I could read? I'd very curious to see how they compare as both my rigs are fairly wide (0.7 and 0.5).

Also, what aperture are you running the SS 0.3 at? (It looks like the ERF is in the 90mm range?)

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

It is a 90mm ERF. The story on this is a long one, and I may try and get another one, which I would put on a custom OTA; I have a 150mm f14.7 primary I got from Surplus Shed for this purpose. Problem is getting big ERFs with Baader quality.

I know it may seem like I am wishy washy about the focal ratio of my rig, but this is because the AR5 has a 127mm primary and a focal ratio of 9.3, but the 90mm ERF really is somewhere between a 85mm-87mm according to Bob at Alpine; and this is combined with a 2X Baader telecentric barlow. Bottom line is the focal ratio is between f28-f29 best I can figure.

#12 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:49 AM

Thanks for the report, Tom. My 70mm Solarscope is much brighter (and can support a larger image) than my DS SM40, but the contrast is in the same ballpark. (I suppose I should be happy enough with that as the Solarscope is single-stacked and the Coronado is double. But I still wonder what 0.4 or 0.3 angstroms would be like....)

He, he. I know what you mean about the Malincam. I've been tempted in that direction myself. But I'm trying to push off that whole camera thing in case my interest needs a bit of a kick in a few years time.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

#13 Keith Howlett

Keith Howlett

Apollo

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

Thanks.

Tom, it sounds like the AR5 with SS works beautifully. Just out of interest how long was the wait?

Jeff, I think a yard cannon plus 0.3A SS would compliment your SF70 beautifully. You know it makes sense... ;)

Cheers,

Keith

#14 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:26 AM

Keith --

I was actually considering a SolaREDi 60mm 0.3 to keep everything nice and portable. But I'm not liking where the reviews have gone so far.

Tom (or anyone else who knows) --

Is the SS oven line-voltage-only, or can you get a 12V option?

-- Jeff.

#15 ragebot

ragebot

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:31 PM

Thanks.

Tom, it sounds like the AR5 with SS works beautifully. Just out of interest how long was the wait?

Jeff, I think a yard cannon plus 0.3A SS would compliment your SF70 beautifully. You know it makes sense... ;)

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Keith,

Part of the long wait for mine was the Baader 90mm ERF, or any quality big ERF was not available.

Alpine Astro was very up front about the status of stuff; and your best bet would be to call them about expected shipping dates.

It was well worth the wait.

Just as an aside Ralph has been waiting a long time for his super Lunt; and he seems to think it is also worth the wait.

#16 ragebot

ragebot

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

Keith --

I was actually considering a SolaREDi 60mm 0.3 to keep everything nice and portable. But I'm not liking where the reviews have gone so far.

Tom (or anyone else who knows) --

Is the SS oven line-voltage-only, or can you get a 12V option?

-- Jeff.

I am not sure about what I would call a factory 12v option; but it is quite easy to find stuff like a Black and Decker power source with an inverter you can plug into. I have used this with my setup; only problem is the 12v power supply will run down after a while.

Here is the first link google gave me, but I bought mine at Walmart.

Black and Decker with inverter.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics