Photo

Weight of Atlas EQ-G Mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

How do people here deal with the burden of carrying the weight of their Atlas or CGEM mounts? I've read that both weigh about 75lbs and this amount could be quite back breaking for such an oddly shaped object. How easy are these mounts to break down and set back up? Is this feasible to do each night out?

#2 DonR

DonR

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

The weight stated for the Atlas mount on Orion's website (76 lbs.) includes the two 11 pound counterweights. Without the counterweighs, the mount and tripod weighs about 54 lbs., and the tripod accounts for roughly 10 lbs. So the mount itself is 40 to 45 lbs., more or less.

I don't try to carry it fully assembled, though I have on occasion moved it a few inches without removing the counterweights. The spread of the tripod legs makes it dificult to maneuver through doorways, so if your moving it outside to set up or inside to put away, fully disassembling it is the way to go.

It's a little awkward for me carrying the disassembled mount, but not really a back breaker. If you have to go a long distance, a case with wheels would be nice.

#3 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

The mount head is the only part to be concerned with.
Not that difficult unless you add a mount extension,and extend the tripod fully before mounting the head on the tripod.

The atlas takes the same amount of trips outside than my smaller eq mounts,and is well worth the extra effort for the rock stable images it provides me.

:ubetcha:

#4 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

The mount is manageable in little pieces. The counterweights are separable from the counterweight shaft. The mount head is separable from the tripod. The head alone is a hefty but manageable 45#. The other components are even lighter. I find the Atlas to be a VERY easy mount to transport. I'm toying with the idea of a G-11 sized or larger mount. I'm expecting that mount to be a beast to haul compared to the Atlas.

Regards,

Jim

#5 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

How do people here deal with the burden of carrying the weight of their Atlas or CGEM mounts? I've read that both weigh about 75lbs and this amount could be quite back breaking for such an oddly shaped object. How easy are these mounts to break down and set back up? Is this feasible to do each night out?

I set up and break down everytime I observe.

Everything breaks down into managable pieces.

Takes me about a 1/2 hour to set up (including alignment procedure) and about 15 minutes to break down. And that's with putting 40lbs of counterweights and the SN10 and piggy-backed 80mm

#6 Agnotio

Agnotio

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

I set up and break down everytime I observe.

Everything breaks down into managable pieces.

Takes me about a 1/2 hour to set up (including alignment procedure) and about 15 minutes to break down. And that's with putting 40lbs of counterweights and the SN10 and piggy-backed 80mm

I have the same concerns as domerman000, and these comments are very helpful, thank you.

#7 wrather1

wrather1

AstroBear

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:45 PM

I leave mine all put together on its tripod and it stands on a JMI "wheelie-bar" trolley. I just wheel it out of the garage whenever I want to use it - setup for polar alignment is very quick.

DW

#8 Jeffrey Sugden

Jeffrey Sugden

Viking 1

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:25 AM

To minimize the number of trips and to reduce walking, I often use the cart behind my lawn tractor. I hand carry OTAs, but the rest is two trips with the cart. That includes chair and a 6 foot folding table.

#9 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

My Atlas weighed 36 pounds. I learned that it balanced well with a 2 inch nylon strap under it and I could manage it okay.

I would carry it out and set it in a PVC pipe holder while I carried the tripod out. Then I could lift it with the strap and go from there.

Necessity is always the mother of invention when we are working with astro gear. :cool:

Ron

Attached Files

#10 alanon

alanon

Nobody tells me anything

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

That is a a very cool stand you made there, Ron. The strap idea is also an interesting solution for not having to bend while picking it back up. Nice work!

#11 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:46 AM

Quote: "My Atlas weighed 36 pounds."

I assume that includes the counterweight bar which is retracted in your picture. I had no idea the Atlas was lighter than the CGEM. I weighed my CGEM head at 38 lbs without the counterweight bar attached. I was under the impression that the Atlas was suppose to be close to 45 lbs based on other posts I have seen.

#12 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

Quote: "My Atlas weighed 36 pounds."

I assume that includes the counterweight bar which is retracted in your picture. I had no idea the Atlas was lighter than the CGEM. I weighed my CGEM head at 38 lbs without the counterweight bar attached. I was under the impression that the Atlas was suppose to be close to 45 lbs based on other posts I have seen.

Yes, that does include the retracted CW bar.

I don't know where that 45 pound figure comes from. The Orion web page lists the fully assembled unit at 76 pounds. This includes 2 - 11 pound counterweights, a tripod, and the mount. So if we do the assumptions, you've got 22 pounds of counterweights, an 18 pound tripod, and a 36 pound mount. That equals 76 pounds, I think.

BTW - I tossed mine on a scale to be sure. :cool:

Dan, Thanks for the compliment. The little stand is nothing more than a piece of 6 inch PVC bolted to that platform. I designed it so I could carry out the mount and set it in that stand while I carried out the 6 inch A-P pier. That's my custom pier adapter on the bottom of the mount. It worked like a charm. :)

Ron

#13 alanon

alanon

Nobody tells me anything

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

It is always the simple, and inexpensive inovations that work the best in my opinion! ;)

#14 dpastern

dpastern

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:42 AM

I have a SkyWatcher EQ6PRO (same as the Atlas variant, apart from the name) - I'd say the mount is not that difficult to handle. I usually set the tripod up first, then bring the mount out. A single male person *can* handle it imho. Without being sexist, it'd be too heavy for a woman imho, at least to handle it comfortably.

Dave

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics