CGE availability

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 AlienFirstClass

AlienFirstClass

Vendor

• -----

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

I am considering buying a Celestron CGE mount.

While looking at different vendors, I came across this.

Would someone care to comment on what is going on?

http://www.optcorp.c....aspx?pid=12577

#2 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

The CGE is still a current product that any Celestron dealer can get. Some will show up as special order as they were discontinued and taken off the Celestron price list. That however has changed.

#3 AlienFirstClass

AlienFirstClass

Vendor

• -----

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

Thank you for your response.

Then what is going on with the OPT FAQ page?

#4 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

I guess it hasn't been fixed since Celestron announced the change a few weeks ago.

#5 rick rian

rick rian

Seeker of Truth(s)

• Loc: Upper Mid West

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

Maybe you should send an email to OPT and ask them.

:shrug:

#6 AlienFirstClass

AlienFirstClass

Vendor

• -----

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

Maybe you should send an email to OPT and ask them.

:shrug:

Good idea.

But I am asking here...now....also.

#7 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

Disregard it. This vendor is notorious for providing wrong information on their website.

#8 AlienFirstClass

AlienFirstClass

Vendor

• -----

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:20 AM

Disregard it. This vendor is notorious for providing wrong information on their website.

Okay...could you expand on that?

I am shopping for a number of items that they carry.

Any other wrong information on their web site that you are aware of?

#9 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:36 AM

I have never seen any incorrect info on the OPT site and from what I have seen it appears this information was correct when they posted it, but it is not correct now. I guess the economy has celestron doing some rethinking.

#10 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Apollo

• Loc: SANTA ANA, CA

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:53 AM

I find the info on OPT to be reliable, but one error I noticed is the EON72 they have continuted to show for several months as being discontinued by Orion, yet the scope is still for sale and has had several sales. BTW it is a great scope, my friend measured his at 1/10 wave on the interferometer.

It makes sense that Celestron would rethink killing the CGE and keep it part of a family of options.

#11 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

but one error I noticed is the EON72 they have continuted to show for several months as being discontinued by Orion, yet the scope is still for sale

There you go. CGE is also discontinued - right. Anything in red font has to be taken with a grain of salt. They very often run specials on their website way beyond expiration time.

#12 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

If the CGE would be discontinued, prices will drop soon ;)

#13 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle Area, WA, USA

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

Prices have been dropping. OPT has the CGE for 320$ off right now.

#14 phanf4

phanf4

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Over there in Chattanooga

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

I guess this crushes hopes to get the cge user "hard spots" fixed. If they were thinking about discontinuing it in the first place, nothing was going to get fixed. It may be a long time now if it does.

Tom

#15 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

It is possible that they were not really planning to eliminate the CGE, they could have been planning to replace it with a redesigned CGE that looks more like the CGEM and CGE Pro. The economy could have changed those plans. I would find it very hard to believe they would have left a gap like that in their lineup. Certainly would have made Losmandy happy though, they would have sold a lot more G11's.

#16 MichaelW

MichaelW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cartoon City, Nirvana

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:36 AM

It's like DeJaVu all over again. :lol:

I am on a holding pattern on a mount with all this. As much as I really enjoyed my CGE and in reality was enough for what I wanted to do... I will probably move up and possibly out of the Celestron lineup unless the CGE-Pro is exceptionally stellar from the git-go.

#17 idahoman

idahoman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho, USA

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

I agree with Lane. It seems strange that they would leave such a gap. I was planning to defork my celestron and get a middle of the road GEM with 50 to 60 lb capacity. I didn't want to spend $5K to $7K. That left the CGE and G11. The G11 needs some serious updating. So, CGE. Now that's gone? Argh! My decision -- keep using my fork and AO-8.

Not everyone in this hobby can afford a Astro-Physics, MI, etc.

#18 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:47 AM

I've done the G-11/CGE ping pong several times. I have a GM-8 as well. Overall I think the G-11 has several BIG (for me) advantages. Mechanical setting circles, hollow polar shaft, completely and easily user serviceable, and replacement parts availability. It's big downsides (to me) are limited availability of the mount itself and higher cost.

The most attractive aspect of the CGE (to me) is widespread availability, currently falling prices and simple, mature Nexstar firmware. I am tempted with the latest round of discounts, but no matter Celestron's waffling, I would say that the writing is on the wall for this mount.

The CGEM and CGE Pro are cast not CNC machined (likely in Asia). I am guessing that the CGE costs a lot to make by comparison. Maybe they'll cook up an intermediate design (capacity wise) that they can cast in Asia. In any case, I don't expect to see the CGE around for more than another year in its present form.

If they drop the CGE to $2250 and throw in the optional polar scope, I'll buy one. :lol:

Regards,

Jim

#19 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:33 PM

The most attractive aspect of the CGE (to me) is widespread availability, currently falling prices and simple, mature Nexstar firmware.

The Gemini is much more advanced than the Nexstar. The CGE's higher capacity specs are dubious too. Some folks are using the M14 on the G11 which is much heavier than the C14. In retrospect I wish I bought the G11 or even the HGM Titan. The end to the CGE is a little or no loss to this hobby. CGE R.I.P. Long live G11!

#20 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

Hi Alph,

No offense, but I have to express the opposite opinion. I love my CGE! I had a Losmandy G11 at the time I bought the CGE. Had 'em and used 'em both for about six months and decided one of them had to go. I sold the G11, and for a lot less than I figured it was worth. Still have, and love, the CGE. Problems? One or two, like everybody else: cables and micro-switches - both easily corrected. I'd buy another one in a heart beat (if I needed one, that is).

#21 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

Problems? One or two, like everybody else: cables and micro-switches - both easily corrected.

Is that it? What about PEC? I think it is really bad as compared to the G11. How about serviceability? You mentioned the micro-switches. Did you know that Celestron want you to ship the mount back to them just to replace the switches if it is under the warranty? That’s nuts! How about the supposedly superior motors that get easily damaged when the mount hits the hardstop past the Meridian because the micro-switch failed to turn off tracking?

#22 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

What about PEC? I think it is really bad as compared to the G11. How about serviceability? You mentioned the micro-switches. Did you know that Celestron want you to ship the mount back to them just to replace the switches if it is under the warranty?

The PEC on my CGE worked flawlessly, and I've not seen any reports from others experiencing problems with it. Did you have a defective index switch? When I bought mine the published warranty expressly stated that they would repair defective products if shipped to the factory, so although mine never required service I was aware of the process.

#23 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

The PEC on my CGE worked flawlessly, and I've not seen any reports from others experiencing problems with it

PEC like in PE Curve

#24 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:26 PM

Hi again, Alph,

Yes, I know that Celestron wanted the mount back, under warranty, to repair my RA micro-switch. I found it a whole lot less expensive and faster to go to the closest Radio Shack and pay $3 for an identical switch and put it in myself - easy if you can de-solder two wires connected to the old switch and re-solder the new switch in. Gee, I think it took me all of 30 minutes. Granted, Celestron's use of the shielded 8-conductor CAT-5e network cables to carry 9 signals (using the shield as the all-important ground) was a poor way of doing things, but there are many viable work-arounds for this and I haven't had a problem since figuring that out...that's what groups like this one, or the Yahoo! groups, are for. I'll stand by my opinion that the CGE is a wonderful mount at its price point. Perfect? No, but nothing is. I remain happy that I sold my G11 and kept the CGE. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Attached Files

#25 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

Is that it? What about PEC? I think it is really bad as compared to the G11.

You "think"? How about all the evidence here and on Yahoo/Groups that in the past 3 years both mounts out of the box deliver on average 20s or less peak to peak. There is virtually no difference.

How about serviceability? You mentioned the micro-switches. Did you know that Celestron want you to ship the mount back to them just to replace the switches if it is under the warranty? That’s nuts! How about the supposedly superior motors that get easily damaged when the mount hits the hardstop past the Meridian because the micro-switch failed to turn off tracking?

Yes Scott designed the G11 to be easier to service. Well I didn't buy my CGE to tinker with. The basics are easy enough to service (cables, micro switches, etc.) and I don't feel the need to "upgrade" or service my 2 year old CGE, my PE is under 15s peak to peak, smooth and easily autoguided out.

The Gemini is much more advanced than the Nexstar.

Hardly, the Gemini is older technology, has less features and most folks who use it dislike the menu system.

The CGE's higher capacity specs are dubious too.

"Dubious", sorry but the mount carries 60-65lbs just fine, just like the spec says. There are folks who've successfully run CGEs with up to 90lbs (look up some of Jerry Wise's post from a few years ago). Both mounts can be loaded up in a similar fashion as they both have bearings, shafts and motors of a similar capability. I regularly run my CGE with a well balanced 55-60lbs and it performs flawlessly.

Some folks are using the M14 on the G11 which is much heavier than the C14

And some folks are putting 2 or 3 scopes on a CGE which in total more weigh than a C14 ... what does that prove? Just because Celestron doesn't sell that particular combination doesn't mean the CGE isn't capable of handling it. There are plenty of examples of folks who have pushed their mounts with capacities far beyond what the vendor has spec'd.

The end to the CGE is a little or no loss to this hobby.

Well Alph, you're certainly entitled to your opinion but I'll suggest that the CGE has a) outsold the G11 (anecdotal information ... no facts) and b) will still be providing good use to hundreds or possibly thousands of users years from now ... in my books that's hardly a "loss" to this hobby.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics