CGE availability

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

Is that it? What about PEC? I think it is really bad as compared to the G11.

You "think"? How about all the evidence here and on Yahoo/Groups that in the past 3 years both mounts out of the box deliver on average 20s or less peak to peak. There is virtually no difference.

How about serviceability? You mentioned the micro-switches. Did you know that Celestron want you to ship the mount back to them just to replace the switches if it is under the warranty? That’s nuts! How about the supposedly superior motors that get easily damaged when the mount hits the hardstop past the Meridian because the micro-switch failed to turn off tracking?

Yes Scott designed the G11 to be easier to service. Well I didn't buy my CGE to tinker with. The basics are easy enough to service (cables, micro switches, etc.) and I don't feel the need to "upgrade" or service my 2 year old CGE, my PE is under 15s peak to peak, smooth and easily autoguided out.

The Gemini is much more advanced than the Nexstar.

Hardly, the Gemini is older technology, has less features and most folks who use it dislike the menu system.

The CGE's higher capacity specs are dubious too.

"Dubious", sorry but the mount carries 60-65lbs just fine, just like the spec says. There are folks who've successfully run CGEs with up to 90lbs (look up some of Jerry Wise's post from a few years ago). Both mounts can be loaded up in a similar fashion as they both have bearings, shafts and motors of a similar capability. I regularly run my CGE with a well balanced 55-60lbs and it performs flawlessly.

Some folks are using the M14 on the G11 which is much heavier than the C14

And some folks are putting 2 or 3 scopes on a CGE which in total more weigh than a C14 ... what does that prove? Just because Celestron doesn't sell that particular combination doesn't mean the CGE isn't capable of handling it. There are plenty of examples of folks who have pushed their mounts with capacities far beyond what the vendor has spec'd.

The end to the CGE is a little or no loss to this hobby.

Well Alph, you're certainly entitled to your opinion but I'll suggest that the CGE has a) outsold the G11 (anecdotal information ... no facts) and b) will still be providing good use to hundreds or possibly thousands of users years from now ... in my books that's hardly a "loss" to this hobby.

One word:

AMEN

clear enough skies

#27 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

Hardly, the Gemini is older technology, has less features and most folks who use it dislike the menu system.

Something tells me that you don’t have a complete understanding what the Gemini controller/software is capable of. I agree with you though, that he Gemini controller was designed for sophisticated users.

#28 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:05 PM

Something tells me that you don’t have a complete understanding what the Gemini controller/software is capable of. I agree with you though, that he Gemini controller was designed for sophisticated users.

Duh, we ain't got none of that there so-fist-ic-ation, but we know that the "C" in "PEC" means "CORRECTION" and not "CURVE"

#29 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

Alph are you saying that people stand around in tuxedos drinking martinis while using a gemini.

#30 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:47 PM

I am looking hard at the CGE given the deep discounts available from a few of the resellers. In fact, I may just bite the bullet and get a CGE-1100 setup. $4.4k for an 11" SCT and a 65# capacity mount looks like a pretty sweet deal to me. I am also a long time fan of Nexstar. It is light years ahead of Synscan, which is exactly why the CGEM in the end will either force a deep discount on the Atlas or drive it from the market.

That being the case, Gemini is sophisticated feature rich software with an extremely accurate pointing model. Sure its nested menu structure is cumbersome and takes some practice, and aligning takes more time, but it really is good stuff. It has some very observer-savvy features like "Z search" and "Wobble" for helping detect targets at the threshold of visibility. It's good stuff.

If I could get a G-11 Gemini for $2680, it would be an easy choice (for me). I favor being able to fix my own gear easily if the manufacturer no longer supports it and I also like the clutchless axes and having manual setting circles as a back-up to the computer. But the truth is the Losmandy mounts have gotten more expensive in the face of serious competition. An odd strategy to be sure, probably reflecting real increased costs.

Nothing wrong with either mount and the CGE's new, lower price makes it especially tempting despite some of the advantages of the Losmandy G-11.

Regards,

Jim

#31 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:12 PM

Alph,

Please don't put words in my mouth, especially when you're trying to make a less than subtle insinuation about the folks who use the Gemini based systems.

I don't own a Gemini based system so I certainly don't have "a complete understanding" (and short of Messrs. Görlich, Losmandy, Diehl, and a few others I don't think anyone does) but I have used a few and watched as other folks have used them, I've even been around a few side by side comparisons.

I've seen things I like and some things that I don't in both systems. We could probably debate features and function between the two all day long but this really isn't the "forum" to do so. The two systems while both very capable telescope control systems were designed for different requirements. With the Gemini it appears to be for a more complex user, and with lots of hardware flexibility (has to work with a variety of vendor's hardware). The Nexstar has to work on Celestron hardware only, but for a much wider user audience. I simply suggest that the more advanced system is the one that meets the requirements of all users, beginner, intermediate, as well as advanced.

Finally you have to admit the older hardware technology behind the Gemini is really starting to show it's age ... Eprom burning vs. flash for firmware upgrades, come on. So maybe you were simply referring to age when you said "The Gemini is much more advanced than the Nexstar."?

#32 Dan M

Dan M

Vostok 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:52 AM

I love my CGE also and it carries both a 12'' LX200R and Orion 110ED on it (73 lbs. total with accessories) without breaking a sweat! :)

#33 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:27 AM

So maybe you were simply referring to age when you said "The Gemini is much more advanced than the Nexstar."?

:funny: :roflmao:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics