NGC2244 and Rosette Nebula Study

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:59 PM

I had the pleasure of observing two different nights (02/21 and 02/23) with two different scopes (C8 then SV102) on the same objective. I like this little open cluster, which I concentrated on using the C8 and an astro video camera to capture the star placement. The FOV of an SCT, of course, is way too small to get much of the nebula. On the 23rd I used the SV102 with the same astro video camera but sketched the nebula (central portion around the cluster). So you might enjoy seeing both and comparing. It was a delightful time. The nebula is tough to get since it is so large; I had to change my field of regard (movement of field of view) three times to get what I could. With only 4 inches of aperture, color is a little hard to capture in detail and the reds tend to overpower anything else when "photon density" is not very high, but it was still a real nice time. The star field is only complete enough so I could anchor the shapes of the stellar clouds, which was my objective.

With the two scopes and different fields of view, it was a very obvious reminder to me about the different ways objects are seen. Likewise, I think things are one way in life issues but sometimes God's view is utterly different. I have learned if there is a difference, most likely He is correct and my sight needs correction.

Roland

NGC2244 Open Cluster

Cluster with Central Part of Rosette Neb.

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

Roland,

I really like your capture of the cluster with the central part of the Rosette. I felt that you captured both there really nicely. This is on of my top twenty items to observe. Well done. Nebula's always remind me that life is to be nurtured.

#3 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for the comment Jay. As I mentioned in another post, studying aspects of an object on different nights to go after different features is educational. The open cluster is different than many with the bright golden star and the arrangement of pairs of stars but it took one solid period with the C8 to get this detail as well as enjoy it. The second night with a 4 inch refractor and the video cam setup permitted me to orient the sketch to duplicate the first night but of course the settings were different so I could go after the prominent parts of the central nebula area.

Carlos did same two pronged approach (sketching a large and small FOV of the same object) but did it during one observing session rather than two. I really liked his results. All this to say our double-night observing on objects seems to be increasing in order to more thoroughly capture what we see and enjoy different aspects of the object. We could do it on a single night, but it is usually too involved and long for us. What we need to now is go after the same thing with the 16x70 binoculars on the Trico Sky Window to get yet a third view. The only problem with this is the sky field is very detailed and my abilities are not nearly as good as Rony's when it comes to that degree of compexity in a star field.

Clear skies...

Roland

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

Roland,

Excellent and beautiful observations of the Rosette Nebula and NGC 2244 in Monoceros. These are two striking objects to observe in dark skies using large aperture. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Links;
http://www.hawastsoc.../mon/index.html
http://www.seds.org/.../ngc/n2244.html
http://apod.nasa.gov...d/ap000822.html

Carlos

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

Roland,

Very nice sketches of the open cluster and the complete Rosette. I was looking here a few nights ago waiting for comet Lulin to rise closer to the south. I could not make out much more than a hint of the nebula's brightest regions but the open cluster is always a treat as are both your sketches. :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#6 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

Roland,

Amazing views of the subtle structure of the Rosette Nebula. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics