Vixen Porta Mount on Televue tripod

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bbyrd

bbyrd

Ranger 4

• Loc: north carolina

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:41 PM

I know someone out there has thought about how could a vixen porta mount work with a tv tripod. Has anyone figured this out or seen it done ?
Bob

#2 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

• Loc: Far South of the flyover city of Chicago

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

Not know anything about these tripods are the heads all the same?
m2

#3 bbyrd

bbyrd

Ranger 4

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

Hi Dave,
I have one of your panhandles. :jump:

#4 bbyrd

bbyrd

Ranger 4

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:14 PM

A fellow CN recommended the following for using other mounts with a gibraltar. Also, after followup with Televue over the phone and a desire to use one telepod head with multiple Televue tripods (specifically a telepod tripod and older Gibraltar) also recommended (like fellow CN member) Televue GUK-1001 Gib Upgrade Kit. This may also be helpful with working out a solution with further adapting an older gibraltar with :jump:a porta mount. I have ordered this adapter after item showed in vendor stock but followup email indicated on back order. :foreheadslap:

#5 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:32 PM

I know someone out there has thought about how could a vixen porta mount work with a tv tripod. Has anyone figured this out or seen it done ?
Bob

First, if you have the old TV Gibraltar tripod, you need the adapter kit to get a standard photo 3/8" stud:

http://www.televue.c...page.asp?ID=212

Other TV tripods already have a 3/8" stud and don't need the upgrade kit.

Next, you need some way to get the Porta head to mount on a standard post. Vixen makes this adapter to allow it to mount on 1/4" standard photo stud:

http://www.vixenopti...ndiv/38011.html

Finally, you need to get the 1/4" thread on the Porta adapter to couple with the 3/8" stud on the TV. You can try to replace the TV stud with a 1/4" stud, or you can use a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter like this one made by Manfrotto:

http://www.adorama.com/BG3054.html

In my opinion, if the existing Porta Mount doesn't meet your needs because it is too short or not strong enough, I would just sell it and get a more stable head for use with the TV tripod.

#6 bbyrd

bbyrd

Ranger 4

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

Thanks GaryML,

Yes you have a point and I have considered selling.

I like Televue tripods. I'm sure others might shrug their shoulders about it but I like the way the legs ajust. Very easy, simple, clamps. The Telepod tripod is alittle diffenent but simple, no bolts and wing nuts, just a hand twist unlock/locking I even enjoy using TV upswings except when using high power. Vixen porta mount works nice for that.

So, I want to use what I already have and like and make interchangable, if possible.

Thanks again for your help.
Bob

#7 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

Happy to help.

I had a Porta and I liked the operation of the head. It worked great with a small lightweight scope on it. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite stable enough with my new scope so I had to sell it and upgrade.

It's unfortunate that the Vixen Porta photo tripod adapter doesn't have a 3/8" thread instead of 1/4" as the 3/8 is pretty much the standard. It's much easier to step a 1/4" stud up to 3/8" without any loss of stability, but the 3/8" to 1/4" requires a plate so there is a possibility of some extra wobble. But those adapters are relatively cheap so it's worth a try if the Porta head can carry the load. (Well, the Vixen is way overpriced at $60, but it's cheaper than a new mount. :) )

I saw a TV Gibraltar tripod with a Gibraltar 5 head in the store the other day. I was impressed with the simple, classic elegance of the design. I love the twist lock legs on my Gitzo photo tripod-I can get all three legs unlocked, extended and then locked in about 12 seconds. Much easier and faster than the twist knobs. You just have to keep them out of sand or mud or they jam up. :stuck:

#8 bbyrd

bbyrd

Ranger 4

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

I have moved down from a 4" TV refractor to a used TV 85. Two years ago I purchased a used Tak FS78 for my son. We have just short quick looks. After the neighbors (church) cut down over 40 trees two years ago and added 7 large street lights we no longer have much to look at from home. Looks like daylight at night now. So, we view less but have equipment we can travel with to darker sights.

#9 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

The Telepod tripod is alittle diffenent but simple, no bolts and wing nuts, just a hand twist unlock/locking I even enjoy using TV upswings except when using high power. Vixen porta mount works nice for that.

TELEPOD. The metal tripod with the Gitzo-style leg clamps. Got it now. :foreheadslap:

Ok, checking the specs, it has a mounting stud that is reversible for either 3/8" or 1/4" x 20 threads. So all you need is the Vixen Porta camera tripod adapter mentioned in my post above and you can directly attach the PortaMount head to the Telepod with the 1/4"x20 stud.

The PortaMount was pushed to the limit with my Vixen ED100sf, which is 36" long and 10 lbs with 8x50 finder, diagonal, and eyepiece. But it should handle a TV 85 which weighs a pound less and is only 22". If the Telepod is sturdy enough for the load, it should work fine and will be pretty easy to carry.

Sorry to hear about the trees and the lights next door. :ohmy: I have a couple of neighbors with porch lights and a streetlight about 80' away but our landscaping gives me some cover. I should be happy with what I have, as things could be worse.

#10 bbyrd

bbyrd

Ranger 4

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

Thanks again GaryML,
I did not know about the Vixen Porta camera tripod adapter before you mentioned it and never would have thought about it. Sure was a big help and may help others too.
Bob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics