Photo

Sky Scout and Scope Scope Bracket

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 Dave H.

Dave H.

Mariner 2

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:46 PM

Has anyone tried out the Sky Scout and Scope Scout bracket from Astonomy-Shoppe? They are listed under the "accessories" Tab and seem pretty intereting. Seems this might work for providing some GOTO capability on a non-GOTO scope.

http://www.astronomy-shoppe.com/

Attached Files

#2 drexelpbp

drexelpbp

Ranger 4

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

I'm using an Orion slow motion adapter and it works great.

#3 Covey32

Covey32

Apollo

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

How are you mounting it to the scope? Is it made of aluminum or what? Sounds like a pretty good idea.

#4 drexelpbp

drexelpbp

Ranger 4

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

Hank

It's a great solution.

It's made mostly of aluminum(the small amount of metal does not seem to affect the Sky Scout performance - at least not yet). Its inexpensive and allows for easy adjustment and alignment.

I bought some extra rings from Orion(also inexpensive) and used one of the rings to mount the Skyscout. It can be mounted directly to the ring with the camera adapter. This also allows for easy balancing, if required, since the ring can be easily moved.

But I found that a better more stable and more convenient solution is to use some Scopestuff parts. One part is an orion style dovetail shoe that can be screwed into the ring with the 1/4" threaded hole(which is the second ring in the pair). The other part is an orion style dovetail with a camera adapter. The camera adapter is screwed into the Sky Scout. This can then be conveniently mated to the part with dovetail shoe. This approach works very well.Like a quick disconnect.

Another solution is to use a mount with dual dovetail mounts like a Desert Sky Astro mount or other similar mounts. You can mount your scope on one side and use an Orion Dovetail L-Bracket on the other side and mount the Sky Scout with the Orion Slow Motion Adapter to it. This approach also works well.

Hope this helps

Gary

#5 Covey32

Covey32

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:46 AM

Thanks. I have a simple set up on my Portaball that lacks the adjustment capability your setup has. I hadn't considered the slo-mo head, but once you pointed it out, I could see right away what a good idea it is, since it allows excellent movemet for very accurate borsighting of SS and scope. That's what is critical to the success of using the SS as a finder.
Any chance of you posting a few pics of the setup??

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:39 AM

Thanks. I have a simple set up on my Portaball that lacks the adjustment capability your setup has. I hadn't considered the slo-mo head, but once you pointed it out, I could see right away what a good idea it is, since it allows excellent movemet for very accurate borsighting of SS and scope. That's what is critical to the success of using the SS as a finder.
Any chance of you posting a few pics of the setup??

One thing I can't seem to wrap my mind around vis-a-vis those of y'all using the SS for a finder. How do you deal with the unit's autoshutoff? Five minutes of inaction an you gotta get a new fix, etc.... For this reason I'm skeptical about puttin' the SS on my new 8-inch f/5 Dob as I had originally planned...

:bawling:

#7 Covey32

Covey32

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

Drawbacks, drawbacks. You seem obsessed with reality.

Seriously....what I do is concentrate on one object per chase, find it (which is not always quickly accomplished) and ignore the SS until I'm ready to go somewhere else and just turn it on again. It does, of course give you a 30 second warning before auto turn of, so if you keep your eye on it (difficult to do in practice)you can always abort the turn off by pressing the back button.
I really wish there was something that could be done with the SS auto off, but as far as I know, nobody, including Celestron, has come up with it.

#8 astronomy-shoppe.com

astronomy-shoppe.com

Vendor (astronomy-shoppe.com)

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

Post deleted per Vendor TOS by lineman_16735

#9 Covey32

Covey32

Apollo

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:39 AM

Tony
You appear to have modified your original design considerably. I bought one of the first ones years ago (it seems) and, frankly, didn't think much of it.
The current photo shows a much improved concept. Do you use all teflon screws? The metal screws on the original did trigger the mag icon often.

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:57 AM

Drawbacks, drawbacks. You seem obsessed with reality.

Seriously....what I do is concentrate on one object per chase, find it (which is not always quickly accomplished) and ignore the SS until I'm ready to go somewhere else and just turn it on again. It does, of course give you a 30 second warning before auto turn of, so if you keep your eye on it (difficult to do in practice)you can always abort the turn off by pressing the back button.
I really wish there was something that could be done with the SS auto off, but as far as I know, nobody, including Celestron, has come up with it.

A small software change to make a beep (plug in a small external speaker) would cure the problem...CELESTRON are ya lis'nen...? :lol:

#11 Covey32

Covey32

Apollo

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

Forgive me for being a bit negative, Uncle Rod.....

But I doubt if they are listening right now.

:gotpopcorn:

#12 astronomy-shoppe.com

astronomy-shoppe.com

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:43 AM

Hank,
Several of the original centering tables had steel t-nuts, which caused a magnetic problem. Yes we are using Nylon and Stainless steel screws, that are not magnetic. Aluminum bracket and a Delrin dovetail adapter that is 6" tall with threaded holes to add more devices like Lasers and Red Dot finders,
Just send in your old unit and I will upgrade it with a new one,

Tony C :D

#13 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:05 PM

Now THAT'S what I call great customer service! :bow:

#14 Dave H.

Dave H.

Mariner 2

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:40 AM

Now THAT'S what I call great customer service! :bow:

Yep, good to see there are those that still know the meaning of customer service. :bow:

#15 Covey32

Covey32

Apollo

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

True...and Tony does run a tight ship all the way. But, alas, I greatly modified the original one, added all brass hardware (gets rid of the mag icons) and it is now in constant use (customized) with my 12.5" Portaball.
Incidentally, this is basically a good and sturdy mount, and I have no doubt all the bugs are out. If I needed one, I'd have no problem buying the newer version.

#16 Bob Riggs

Bob Riggs

Ranger 4

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

Tony, this looks really nice! You mentioned supplying MuMetal for steel tubes on another thread. Does this mean I could use this on my DSO dob?

#17 mischief

mischief

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

I didn't know this could be done; I recently purchased a Sky Scout which I haven't used yet. Can these brackets be used with any kind of mount? Maybe I didn't read the posts carefully. I have an Orion StarBlast on the mini-Dob mount and an AT Voyager alt/az mount. The latter has a dovetail bracket. This is really really interesting. I also just purchased an IYA 2009 product, a "FirstScope" from Celestron. I thought they might have made an adapter for the SkyScout, but haven't heard of that. The "FirstScope" is supposed to be a real real Introductory scope and connecting to the SkyScout seems like a good idea. The "FirstScope" is a 3" OTA reflector on a very small mini-Dob mount.
Dorothy :yay:

#18 RobertW

RobertW

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

am i the only one wondering what she's looking at in that picture? does the sky scout track planes?

"currently observing: flight 202 from boston"

#19 Covey32

Covey32

Apollo

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

The alien mothership is included in the SS database.
She's watching the mothership.
I thought everyone knew that.... :slap:

#20 astronomy-shoppe.com

astronomy-shoppe.com

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

Actually the Original add read" Venus in Daylight" a double pun

Tony

#21 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:49 PM

definitely on my "to get" list as having a scope without COL or goto and the skyscout just sitting there waiting to be used for that purpose. I have heard complaints from some about heavy battery drainage on the skyscout when turning it on several times an evening, but I have not experienced any of that with mine so locating an object and letting it shut down while I observe for ten minutes isn't too bad. If you know your location, then skip the GPS fix and manually input it. Trying to line it up by hand with the scope can be done, but it is tricky and not very accurate at best. Was really excited to see a mount available for dobs.
:jump:

#22 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

This may help,its what I did.

http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=1888

#23 drexelpbp

drexelpbp

Ranger 4

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

Looks great!

Where did you get the ss mount?

Thanks

Gary

#24 DDJ

DDJ

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:00 PM

I like your set up on your lightbridge. I made a wooden mount for my Vixen 70mm refractor to place my Sky scout onto with nylon nuts and 1/4" bolts epoxied. Now I want to make a bracket to mount it onto my 10" Zhumell DOB and give it a whirl. I would like to attach a laser to the Sky Scout to help in showing where I'm viewing. The Sky scout is fine for this cubby.

#25 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

FWIW

I played around a little bit with a Sky Scout mounted on my TV-85 using a TV Piggy Cam adapter over the weekend. Seems to work okay with a low power eyepiece, but was a little clumsy operating as far as looking through at certain angles and keeping the SS lined up with the eyepiece after punching in a new target. I was able to found Venus during the daytime and Eagle Nebula at night.

I don't thing this replaces a goto or dsc setup, but does seem to work.

Note in phote, I removed the Telepod panning handle and Vixen red dot finder which both contained some ferrous metal. I did not test the SS with those parts on, just assumed it would interfere with it. ;)

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics