Questions about multi-night sketching

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

• Loc: Pacifica, CA, USA

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

I've seen a few folks mention that they sketch a single object over a couple of nights/sessions and I have a few questions about this:

Do you do it to keep your eye's/mind fresh?
Do you focus on one aspect one night, another aspect another night?
Or is it a free for all and you're hoping to build up on all the details?
Or is this a completely personal preference?

Do you plan on doing a multi-night session and if so do you set goals for each night? Or do you plan something like "well seeing tonight isn't that great so I'll only grab "x" part of this object and wait for a better night" to grab "y"?

Thanks for the insight, I'm mainly curious about others' processes, but one reason I haven't attempted M42 is that I'm not sure I'd capture all the detail I want to in one session and my seeing is always marginal (I'd really want to sketch when I can see E&F components).

#2 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

This.

#3 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

Our personal multi-night observing has been divided a bit differently everytime, which is dependent on the object. For a chalk talk on M42, we divided things by function: night one did the star field and basic shapes, night two did the finer detail and color. Other times we have divided nights by the area of an object. Almost always, we do the star field the first night for the first part of a session. My wife is more tuned to shapes, so she might do it differently; start with stellar cloud shapes and a couple stars then do the next night with the star field and more detail. It amounts to personal preference. The biggest criteria are size of the object and the complexity of the star field (for us). Roland

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

This.

Jim

I would agree with Eric and again I must thank and commend the moderators here for their leniency and generosity as I first thought that all sketching was strictly done only from the eyepiece live and only then. I have developed a multi-process style over the last months when I render the moon.

I think that is what makes this hobby so personal and adaptive for so many styles to occur. That melding the scientific methods with artistic creative process can vary greatly at times for any one individuals process and technique.

I might address my personal style in an eventual total tutorial write-up here. As we all know, I’ll ramble on forever as I just started this seriously a couple years ago and am still as enthused as like new sketch artists, yet I am barrowing from 50 years since all of my childhood sketching from the early 1960’s through present. I could (should?) do a book. I have just been asked to lecture again for a high school arts, photography and science departments; also a university planetarium soon.

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics