New CG5 software revision and PEC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Loc: Sonoma, Northern California

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

Does the new CG5 software revision include PEC and is it the same upgrade as the CGEM? I need to know from someone who has actually done the upgrade. Thanks!

#2 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:14 PM

PEC requires hardware support from the mount so that it can index the worm gear.

I don't think that the CG5 has this, so I don't think it's possible to add PEC support through a firmware update.

-Wade

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

PEC requires hardware support from the mount so that it can index the worm gear.

PEC doesn't require that, and PEC-equipped mounts don't have it. PPEC was a later development. The addition of index switches made PPEC possible.

#4 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

From the CGEM Manual:
This “teaches” the PEC chip the characteristics of the worm. The periodic error of the worm gear drive
will be stored in the PEC chip and used to correct periodic error.

I presume the PEC 'chip' is hardware installed on the CGEM, and I'd bet good money that 'chip' is nowhere to be found on the CG5's. I loaded 4.15 night before last but have had other issues precuding a good test. But all indications are very positive. The alignments and GoTo's are much better.

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:57 PM

I presume the PEC 'chip' is hardware installed on the CGEM, and I'd bet good money that 'chip' is nowhere to be found on the CG5's.

All that would be required for PEC is some memory space. For PPEC, a worm index switch would be required - and that's definitely not present in the CG5 (though it is present in the NXGPS, CPC, and CGE models - and, with any luck at all, in the CGEM). The memory space for simple PEC could be in the handbox or in extra memory provided on the motor control board; I don't know about that yet but we'll find out when we see whether the feature works on the CG-5 models. I know that when Meade decided to add PEC to their LXD55/75 mounts it was a firmware change only, and used extra memory already available in the handbox.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

Does the new CG5 software revision include PEC and is it the same upgrade as the CGEM? I need to know from someone who has actually done the upgrade. Thanks!

PEC? No.

Everythin' else? Si.

;)

#7 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Hi Rod. You answered like a man with experience. Have you done the upgrade to the CG5?

#8 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:32 PM

I've got two CG-5s running 4.15. I just confirmed that PEC is not available.

Regarding PPEC vs. PEC, I usually just assume that when someone asks about PEC, they probably mean PPEC. Without the "permanent" part, you have to train the mount every time you power it on.

To get a decent PEC curve, you pretty much have to get data over multiple turns of the worm. On my CGEs, I average out 10 turns, which takes about 80 minutes. Even if you go for a smaller number of turns, that's a lot of wasted imaging time - and it's repeated each time you turn on the mount.

-Wade

#9 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:53 AM

Hi Rod. You answered like a man with experience. Have you done the upgrade to the CG5?

Yep. Both for the "real" HC and NexRemote. Biggest deal? The All Star polar alignment routine. I had the opportunity to try that out briefly down at Chiefland last month (nothing but clouds up here any time there's not a fat Moon in the sky). Verdict? Works as advertised. Is it more accurate than the old polar align routine? Don't know yet. I intend to take the C8 and CG5 back down to the CAV for the Chiefland Spring Picnic, and will be packin' the ST2000. IOW, we'll see... ;)

Let me add that I have never missed PEC on the CG5. It autoguides well, and I would much rather have that than PEC if I am forced to choose. :lol:

#10 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

Thanks Rod. That's what I needed to know and the info on the autoguider is good too.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics