Photo

LXD750 Handset Vs LX200 handset

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:02 PM

Does anyone know if these are interchangeble? Can I use the LX200 Autostar II on the LXD750?

My handset is working fine, but I worry about replacement parts should it one day fail.

Also, was the LXD motor assy the the same as on the fork mounts?

Any source of parts???

Thanks!

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

Does anyone know if these are interchangeble? Can I use the LX200 Autostar II on the LXD750?

No, those have nothing in common. The later version of the LX200 Classic handboxes will work on the LXD650/750 mounts, though.

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for responding...

Well, I saw the button layout and was hoping that because the buttons were the same that the programming and signal lines would be the same...

Any idea for a source for parts??? Anyone servicing these anyomre??

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for responding...

Well, I saw the button layout and was hoping that because the buttons were the same that the programming and signal lines would be the same...

We may be at cross purposes here. The Autostar II handbox you mention (LX200GPS/LX200R/LX200ACF) isn't very similar in layout to the LX200 Classic/LXD650/LXD750 handbox. You may be thinking of the LX200 Classic handbox. As I said, later LX200 Classic handboxes are the same as the ones used with the LXD650/750 mounts. I think that handbox version is marked "rev 3.13". That rev number is not the firmware revision of the motherboard - it's on the handbox itself and is the latest version that was released (around 1995).

They pop up on Astromart from time to time.

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

I was looking at a fork that someone is selling on Amart. It is listed as an LX200 fork. The hand control seems to be very similar to the LXD750 in the sense that it has key functions that are similar. Here is the picture.. Notice that it has the same NGC Shortcut, STAR shortcut, and Messier Shortcut keys as the LXD750. It also has the focus and reticlue funstions.

The standard Autostar does not have these. So to me, it "Looked" like it might be more or less the same thing (though there is no Caldwell key on the LDX750).

Anyway, was worth asking. Would have been nice to be able to have a back up.. I love my LXD750, but worry about parts...

Attached Files

#6 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

Can I use the LX200 Autostar II on the LXD750?

Unlike the Autostar 497, the Autostar II is just an input and output device that communicates with the computer inside the fork.

#7 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

Can I use the LX200 Autostar II on the LXD750?

Unlike the Autostar 497, the Autostar II is just an input and output device that communicates with the computer inside the fork.

The LXD750 handbox is also merely a comm device - but it's not compatible with the Autostar II handbox.

#8 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

The LX200 Classic handboxes that work on the LXD650/750 are rev 3.20, 0r 3.21. The very early LX200 Classic (12 volt with smooth plastic shell) handbox will NOT work. The communication protocols changed to accommodate the larger database, and other improvements. But don't worry, there is a replacement handbox on the horizon for the Classic.

Jeff

#9 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

The new Classic handbox.. Here He's still working on it as of a few days ago.

Jeff

#10 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:48 AM

Wow! Love it. Wonder what it will sell for.

I actually like the Joystick. Wonder if it will be a variable speed based on deflection angle!

VERY nice.

The more I use my LXDE750, the more I like it. MUCH less fussy than CGE. I have really come to believe that the intial polar align method is a better way than most of the other scopes handle it. It just seems like I am up and running much faster with the LXD750 than with the CGE. And the slewing is FAR faster.

I have considered many times selling my CGE and getting another LXD750 to use with my C14, and even an LXD 650 to use with my 4". My big worry was getting replacement parts for the electronics and motors.

So, will stick with a CGE and the single LXD.

#11 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

I just talked to David last evening and the cost is going to hover around the $300 mark. I would easily pay that to keep my Classic going and have improved functionality! I guess it brings the Classic "out of the dark ages" :lol:

Jeff

#12 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

I just talked to David last evening and the cost is going to hover around the $300 mark. I would easily pay that to keep my Classic going and have improved functionality! I guess it brings the Classic "out of the dark ages" :lol:

Jeff

I dunno. It's a new I/O device talking to the same old system controller. I don't see what improved functionality can be attained; the controller can only do what it already knows how to do. I understand that the original handboxes are getting harder to find, but I've seen a few offered recently so the supply hasn't dried up yet. I've picked up a few spare handboxes over the years, but I have never had one fail so the spares were unnecessary. A new motherboard would be more attractive to me; I've had to repair several of those over the years and replacements are much more difficult to find. That would also provide the possibility of adding new functionality - and increased reliability.

#13 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

I like the improved functionality of having the joystick built-in, and the extras you can actually see with the new display without having to scroll and fumble with the keys. I do consider that "added" functionality. I do have a couple of Meade handboxes that did fail. Not because of C2 exploding and killing the ribbon cable. I, after talking with David, have ordered in some Schmitt Triggers to replace them (they're very cheap). He said that was more than likely the problem. And I have had about 5 over the years do the same thing, get stuck at "Meade". Too bad I pitched them. :foreheadslap: If I only knew then what I know now.. :bawling: But I do agree, the motherboards are the most "rare" of the parts. Luckily most can be repaired, unless they are burnt to a crisp from over zealous soldering "attempts". :mrevil:

Jeff

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics