Photo

ADM vs Losmandy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:41 PM

I ordered a dual saddle plate a few weeks ago from ADM,arrived in a few days.
Ordered a losmandy dm10 setup last week from a dealer,dropped shipped from losmandy,and am still awaiting it's arrival.
The shipping was more expensive from ADM,but they provided me a tracking number almost immediately.

Maybe the dm10 is not a popular item?
Anyone else waiting for a shipment from losmandy?

:question:
blocks included with dm8

Posted Image

#2 celestial_search

celestial_search

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

When I ordered my Losmandy dual saddle I made sure the dealer had it in stock. When I visited with one dealer that told me "we can get it from Losmandy" I replied "those guys seem to take their sweet time." He replied "yea they do."

I almost bought a G11 mount from them a few years ago, but the more research I did the more I learned that the wait is always longer than claimed.

Good luck.

#3 billetman

billetman

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

No ones perfect I have had issues with both of them. Quality Losmandy. Service ADM.

#4 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:16 AM

The radius blocks do not line up correctly on my ota.

:question:

#5 Joe Bruessow

Joe Bruessow

Ranger 4

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:09 AM

I think when dealing with a manufacturer like Losmandy you need to be patient... They are not a mass producer like Celestron or Meade, but serve a niche between mass produced and very high end prices. Thier production schedule also seems similar... wait months, but not years to get your items.

They turn out a very good product for the money though... worth the wait if you can be patient enough (and often one dealer or another will have what you are looking for in stock).

Just a couple of thoughts... good luck.

#6 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:25 AM

If they just mentioned the parts would be delayed,built,ordered etc,would be one thing.
To list parts in stock,then send a notice,dropped shipped from manufacture,is not very good business practice.
I have 2 ota's sitting here doing nothing,waiting on $100 dove tail bars.

I guess it's my own fault for not doing enough research.

:shrug:

#7 Eddy

Eddy

Apollo

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:47 AM

Hi,

I cannot tell you about Losmandy, but I can tell you that Anthony is doing everything possible to help you. If required, he custom drills holes in your plates/saddle etc...

On top of that, all his accessories are top quality.
:flower: :waytogo:

#8 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:11 AM

If they just mentioned the parts would be delayed,built,ordered etc,would be one thing.
To list parts in stock,then send a notice,dropped shipped from manufacture,is not very good business practice.
I have 2 ota's sitting here doing nothing,waiting on $100 dove tail bars.

I guess it's my own fault for not doing enough research.

You can't fault Losmandy for how a dealer markets their product.

#9 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

I'm guessing nobody stocks Losmandy parts.
The different sized radius blocks have me stumped.

:help:

#10 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:38 AM

I have dealt with both of these companies and both produce excellent products.

Please keep in mind that astronomy is NOT what buys the groceries for Losmandy. He works in the motion picture industry and if there is a big production underway, he might not be able to squeeze any astro production out of his little shop. Have you tried calling? I got better results with the phone than with email.

Ron

#11 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

I'm guessing nobody stocks Losmandy parts.

I don't think that anyone does stock Losmandy parts. Accessories such as dovetail plates, on the other hand, are usually available off the shelf from their dealers - at least, I've always been able to purchase them that way without delay. Your dealer was apparently out of that particular item; no need to read anything sinister into that. I'd try another dealer.

#12 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for the company history and the support.
Now where is my desert eagle?
I'm going to make something useful out of my losmandy parts.
:bigshock: :roflmao:

#13 Jeff55

Jeff55

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

Scott can move slowly based on the duality of his business model. What concerned me was the poor quality of the parts I've received lately from his shop. I've had to return several items before I got one decently machined.

#14 islandsteve11

islandsteve11

Vanguard

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

Two days before Christmas, I sent ADM an email asking about the compatablilty of one of his items with my equipment. On the afternoon of Christmas Day, I recieved a reply from owner Anthony Divoli informing me that it was not compatible. Anthony's a class act and I'll gladly do business with him in the future.

#15 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

Partially solved my problem this evening.
The dm10 arrived with almost the same setup as the dm8.
The brackets that came with each setup (1 short+ 1 long) do not line up with the holes on my ota.
Pairing the brackets with a matched pair fixed my problem.
Both my ota's are deforked versions.

Anyone know if the ota only version has different spacing on the SCT housing than a fork mounted model?
I really doubt it as the blocks fit both my 8" and 10" meade SCT,although the radius of the blocks are slightly different.

The problem would still be haunting me if I didn't order both sets of plates and radius blocks.

Anyone have a photo of ADM radius blocks for meade SCT"S?

Photo showing dm10 installed with extra blocks left over.

Posted Image

#16 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:16 AM

Something seems weird, because the blocks you show seem to work just fine on my OTA. In my case though, only two of the holes are used to attach the block to the OTA.

The very outermost holes in the long block are used to attach to the OTA, while the center hole may not even be used. The two next to the outermost are there to help attach the dovetail plate to the block. The blocks themselves would go either on the top or the bottom of the OTA, where the bottom is right underneath the handle on rear-cell of the OTA.

Mine is a deforked 10" LX200, and those long blocks fit perfectly.

EDIT: Could you maybe post a slightly zoomed-out view of the OTA? It actually looks like you tried to mount the blocks slightly off-center now that I take another look. There are 3 screws on the bottom, and the long block attaches to the two outer screws (and the center needs to be removed), while the short block attaches to just the center screw (and the outer screws also need to be removed).

#17 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:35 AM

You are correct.
Two holes mount the ota to the blocks,the other two holes mount the dove tail to the blocks.
The larger blocks use all three screws to attach to the ota.
This works both on my 8" and 10" ota,which are both x fork mounted telescopes.

If I use the set as received,the dove tail will not line up on both ends of the tube.
Losmandy sent me a reply saying the holes aren't supposed to line up,but both my ota's don't fit that description.

I believe my OTA"s are from the late 80's to early 90's.

:shrug: :bangbangbang: :ranting:

#18 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:39 AM

I know in my case when installing the blocks, I couldn't tighten down the blocks at first. I had to get them loosely in place first, and then get the dovetail plate into place while they were still loose. Then with the dovetail plate in place, I could tighten the two blocks.

Again, with the short block, I had to attach it to the center screw only. Otherwise it wouldn't be centered with the long block. The small block /looks/ like it is designed to take more screws, but it doesn't seem to really be that way.

#19 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:58 AM

Try again.
If you align the blocks and use the two outer center holes,you should see that they fit the ota perfectly,but they will not line up with the larger blocks.

Attaching the heavy dove tail and blocks to a 10" ota,using only one screw is a big accident waiting to happen.

You might get by on the 8" ota,but why risk dropping my telescope by using only one mounting screw.

By sending a matched set of blocks,this could easily be avoided.

Maybe the newer LX 200 R has different spacing and hole placement?

#20 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:49 AM

I would not be surprised. The manufacturers do this at times and the accessory vendors cannot always keep up.

Anthony sent me a dovetail set for my C8 OTA and it didn't match the hole spacing on my newer OTA. It fit my older tube perfectly (I have two).

It looks like Celestron has a different drilling pattern if the OTA was originally equipped with a CGE dovetail or a Vixen dovetail. Or they changed things during the past few years. Meade might have done the same. I'll have to ream out the holes in the blocks for the narrower spacing in order to attach the blocks and dovetail to the new OTA.

Ron

#21 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:57 PM

Try again.
If you align the blocks and use the two outer center holes,you should see that they fit the ota perfectly,but they will not line up with the larger blocks.

Attaching the heavy dove tail and blocks to a 10" ota,using only one screw is a big accident waiting to happen.

You might get by on the 8" ota,but why risk dropping my telescope by using only one mounting screw.

By sending a matched set of blocks,this could easily be avoided.

LX200R has the same placement dating back to the Classic. Otherwise all the lovely accessories that date back to that era wouldn't mount on the newer tubes. While I understand Celestron has changed things from time to time, in this case, Meade has not changed the placement of their screws. Partly because of Meade's own accessories they sell that attach to them.

I've attached the diagram provided with the dovetail plate that I received, which is how the blocks are designed to attach to the tube. While I do understand your concern of a single screw holding in the small block, I don't think you would get enough torque if the screw came loose to snap the rest of the dovetail off the rear block or OTA. You wouldn't even get much side-play once the rail itself is firmly attached.

If you are really that concerned and refuse to use it as designed, I'd use the two larger blocks instead of the smaller ones. You will get a much better hold on the OTA than using the small blocks. It will do a much better job at preventing side-play if one of the two mounting blocks do come loose than using the two small blocks (which were really only meant to be mounted on the corrector end, and not designed to be mounted to the rear cell where most of the weight is).

Attached Files

#22 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for the diagram,I never received one.
I still don't understand why the blocks just don't match each other?
Why all the extra holes drilled into the radius block?
I'm using the larger blocks on the 10",the smaller on the 8".
I just wanted to show that they do interchange,the only difference being the length of the dove tail.

Posted Image

#23 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for the diagram,I never received one.
I still don't understand why the blocks just don't match each other?
Why all the extra holes drilled into the radius block?
I'm using the larger blocks on the 10",the smaller on the 8".
I just wanted to show that they do interchange,the only difference being the length of the dove tail.

Posted Image

Cost and different tubes, is what I'd suspect. I'd bet you the large blocks are specific for Meade tubes, while the smaller ones fit both Celestron and Meade tubes. But, as you say yourself, it by itself isn't good enough to hold a D-type dovetail in place. They might save a bit on materials cost.

If I recall correctly, some of the larger dovetails for the Meade that Losmandy makes do use two larger blocks for extra stability. On the 8/10" tubes, it saves a tiny bit of money (without sacrificing too much stability) to use one of each.

#24 Ido Graiman

Ido Graiman

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

Hi guys, hope my question is not too much off topic...
I'm looking to remove my meade LX10 (8" SCT) from it's fork and mount it on my HEQ5 mount.
I'm looking for a dovetail rail of some sort that will attach to the mount on one end and to the OTA on the other end.
One of the options is the Losmandy (or ADM) dovetail you are talking about here.

From what I see here, this dovetail is meant to be used for mounting / piggybacking things on top of the OTA, but what I'm looking for is a dovetail that the OTA can be mounted on top of.

Now even if this dovetail is the right choice, how does it mount to the mount itself? from what I can see (please correct me if I'm wrong), it does not have the vixen-style attachment on it.

Any insights?

#25 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

Losmandy-style rails are meant to attach to Losmandy-style saddles. To mount an OTA onto a Vixen-style saddle, you need a Vixen-style dovetail.

Losmandy saddles/rails tend to do a better job holding heavier OTAs in place (10-14") than Vixen saddles/rails, and that is why you see a difference.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics