CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Saturn, 40 years (or so) later

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gandalf223

Ranger 4

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

Last night was the first time I have viewed Saturn in 40 years (give a take a year; the last time was in the late 1960's.) With an unfamiliarity built up over decades, not to mention somewhat better optics, it was a jaw-dropping experience.

I saw three of Saturn's moons (Titan, Rhea and Tethys,) three cloud bands (maybe; what I saw as a band at the equator might have been clouds, the rings or both) and for a short period of perfect seeing I actually saw dark space through the gap between planet and rings, even with the rings tilted only 2°.

A lot of the features came and went, trading off as the seeing changed. Titan was obvious of course. Tethys, once spotted, was also constant, but Rhea waited a while to be noticed. Banding in Saturn's clouds were nigh invisible until my fingers were starting to stiffen. I suppose that was while my eyes got whatever dark adaptation is possible in the backyard. The gap through the ring was the most fleeting, lasting only a couple of minutes (if that) before reverting to a subtle variation in brightness in the line that the ring mostly assumed.

Posted Image

I don't know how you guys, in places where it really does get cold, manage to do any of this stuff in winter. An hour outside at our balmy 36F and I was ready to cry uncle.

#2 frank5817

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

Great sketch after 40 years. Saturn is always impressive no matter how much time has passed. This is a great time to follow those moons with that slight ring tilt. I am happy that it will still be in the night sky as the weather begins to warm soon. :waytogo:

Frank :)

#3 rodelaet

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

A fine sketch! :waytogo:

I like how you presented the little moons in relation to Saturn. Very nice work.

Keep up the good work, and... dress warmer. :coldday:

#4 CarlosEH

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:22 AM

A very nice observation of Saturn. The ringed planet looks great now as forty years ago. The best of luck in your future observations.

#5 markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

A very realistic rendering as to the same level of seeing that I witnessed lately on cold windy nights from east Portland.

I am equally impressed that a local astronomer to my area is even here in CN!

Good to see something from a fellow Oregonian!

Keep up the good work,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics