• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: StonyHill Observatory

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

I have also posted this on the Gemini group in hopes that someone can help me figure this out. After spending a ton of time procrastinating I finally picked up a G11. After a re-lube and gear polishing session the tracking is very impressive and I was very happy. Now the bad news. I noticed that Gemini was not storing my loc. time etc. Hmm.....Easy enough, bad CMOS battery. Picked up 2 brand new 2032's and thought I was good to go. I replaced the battery and after doing a 40 star alignment run was heartbroken to find the mount still didn't retain the info after shutdown. I swapped the battery a second time for another BNIB and still the mount would not retain the info after power down. I LOVE everything about the mount but this is killing me. I had a wickedly good pointing model built and now I must do it all over again. Not to mention cold starting every time can get old fast.

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and CS's

Bob M

#2 Carl M

Carl M

Viking 1

• Loc: Vermont, USA

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:58 PM

Hmmmm....From Losmandy website:
"Older Gemini units use a CR2032 Li battery, while newer units use a CR2354 Li battery. Be sure to replace the battery with the same type that came with your
Gemini."
Do you have an older Gemini unit?
If this is the right battery, then you can send it to Losmandy - repairing these units is not out of the question.
Anyway, I hope this helps!

#3 hersey0308

hersey0308

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

hi bobby - after you have ruled out the battery, replace the 15 pin cord to the handpaddle, i know it is odd advice but this was my issue and somehow there was a short on startup losing my data every time. 10$ part or maybe you can build one.
great set up by the way. i saw the pics the other day.
david

#4 Jason Glass

Jason Glass

Mariner 2

• Loc: 36°33'9.19"N, 86°40'7.36"W

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:24 PM

Hi Bobby,

On your second session, you're doing a warm restart, and not a warm start or cold start, right? Only a warm restart leaves the model intact.

#5 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:33 PM

I know you had Gemini before, so I'm sure you know the alignment routine. Did you really do a 40 star alignment? I usually do 3 on the west side of the meridian then do maybe 6 on the east side (the east side is where 90% of my work takes place). Gotos are very accurate.

Now there's the one thing I really don't like about Gemini; it has a very limited bright star catalog unlike the ole' CGE.

David

#6 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:35 PM

Just use the SAO catalog and you can pick as many stars as you like and of course the Named Stars can be used too.
Blueman

#7 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:06 AM

On your second session, you're doing a warm restart, and not a warm start or cold start, right? Only a warm restart leaves the model intact.

Jason, The only option I have is a cold restart as the time, location etc are all lost upon shutdown.

I know you had Gemini before, so I'm sure you know the alignment routine. Did you really do a 40 star alignment? I usually do 3 on the west side of the meridian then do maybe 6 on the east side (the east side is where 90% of my work takes place). Gotos are very accurate.

Now there's the one thing I really don't like about Gemini; it has a very limited bright star catalog unlike the ole' CGE.

David

100% sure. As Floyd said, I used a combination of several stars from the "Bright Star" list and than the SAO list, verifying I was on the right one by cross referencing with The Sky6. After the alignment I was putting any object dead center of the Starshoot Autoguider chip at 800mm Fl.

hi bobby - after you have ruled out the battery, replace the 15 pin cord to the handpaddle, i know it is odd advice but this was my issue and somehow there was a short on startup losing my data every time. 10$ part or maybe you can build one.
great set up by the way. i saw the pics the other day.
david

Thanks Dave! I'll have to pick one up. Are they a stock 15 pin serial cable?

Carl, The battery I took out was a 2032 so I am assuming it was the correct one. The mount is about 4-5 years old.

#8 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

• Loc: Look over your shoulder

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:14 AM

You know, there IS the possibility of you now having older fware that may not have the warm start capability..

Might wanna check fware versions..

#9 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:34 AM

Mark,

I just installed a brand new Level 4 EEPROM 2 days before.

#10 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:56 AM

Aha! Problem solved. In other words, instead of "Goto Bright Star", I can use other parts of the catalog and just do my Additional Align from there. Yes? I should've thought of this LONG ago since I've used additional align if I found an object to be off a bit....centered and do the additional align. :foreheadslap:

David

#11 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

• Loc: Stuck in a Time Warp.

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:15 AM

I'll second the hand paddle control cable. It's a stock cable, check at any Confuser outlet, and don't forget to check an apple outlet either.

#12 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:28 AM

Steve or anybody else:

I'm at work and want to stop on the way home and pick up the cable. Is the cable a Male/Male or Male/Female? 15 pin correct?

Thanks a bunch guys!

#13 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

• Loc: Stuck in a Time Warp.

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:18 AM

Male/Female

#14 Jason Glass

Jason Glass

Mariner 2

• Loc: 36°33'9.19"N, 86°40'7.36"W

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:15 AM

Hi Bobby,

It's a Male/Female DB15, rather than HD15. These were used as old Mac monitor cables wayyyy back when. I had trouble finding them in stock at PC supply stores (which all had HD15) and ended up getting one online. You might want to call ahead and ask before you drive over there.

When mine went bad it caused all kinds of weird problems.

#15 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

I changed out the cable from the handbox to the gemini box and the problem still remains. I also replaced the battery for a third time after verifying 3v out of the battery. I removed the battery for 15 minutes before installing it and powering it up. Still no good. At this point I think the SRAM is not seeing the battery power. If I input all my info and power down it holds it in SRAM for about 7-10 minutes after which a startup results in CMOS REST on the handbox. I'm geussing a capacitor or two is bleeding down the voltage till the SRAM clears. Looks like I may have to call Scott and see about returning the Gmini unit. Who knows how long that is going to take. I may bring the whole setup into work in the am and try to see if I can test out some of the solder connections but I don't think I'm going to get very far.

Anything else I may have missed let me know. I'll keep you guys posted.

CS's

#16 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

How about the battery holder, did you check the two small tabs that make the contact? Have you tested at the battery holder to see if the 3v is present, not just the battery but at the holder itself?
Blueman

#17 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:00 AM

How about the battery holder, did you check the two small tabs that make the contact? Have you tested at the battery holder to see if the 3v is present, not just the battery but at the holder itself?
Blueman

I owe you a cold one Floyd! I went out and pulled the cover again. I grabbed my Fluke and when I was checking voltages I noticed something that didn't quite seem right. When I replaced the battery the first time I put the new one in the same way the old one came out. After looking at it I realized there was no way the + side of the battery was making any contact. Both sets of tabs were under the battery. I re-installed the battery with the 2 small top tabs sticking up making contact with the side/top of the battery and the lower set under the battery. I did a reset and after I was done I went to bed. I checked it this a.m. before leaving for work and WooHoo !! It held all my info. I'm a happy camper to say the least :)

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions and thanks to Floyd for pointing out the obvious! Seems the battery was installed wrong before I got the mount, a good reason it had the CMOS Reset since the first day.

#18 WidowMaker

WidowMaker

Catchy Title

• Loc: Frankfort, Ky

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

How nice to see a horrible problem overcome with team work and people that care enough to help. :applause:

I hope thats all you needed Bobby!

:waytogo:

#19 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:43 PM

Hi Bobby,
Well, sometimes things are simple. This was one of those times. :cool:
Enjoy the new mount!
Floyd

#20 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:54 PM

Hi Strgazr27,
Glad to hear you got it all fixed now :)

I see you replaced your Li Battery using the CR2032 battery.

Does your Gemini unit have the circular, DIN-type ports, or does it have the RJ-type ones?

Do you know if you have the Gemini unit you have is the newer, or older model?

Thanks.., and congrats again on resolving your problems..,

Regards,

skybsd

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics