• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 InterStellarGuy

InterStellarGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Overland Park, KS

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

I have acquired a bunch of new equipment recently
including the CG5 ASGT mount and I am aware it uses more power then the alt az mount.

I have the CG5, a Orion Deep Sky imager Pro, and a laptop that will all need power. I currently have a Celestron power tank 7 and was thinking of acuqiring the 17 and having the Mount as well as the camera running off the 17, and the laptop on the 7. would this work, or am i going to need more juice?

#2 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

I think you would be more comfortable with a little more power. You might consider a 12 volt, 33 amp hour wheel chair battery which cost about $80. Not too big, but lots of power.

Patrick

Attached Files

#3 InterStellarGuy

InterStellarGuy

Viking 1

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:15 AM

umm doesnt look like it has any plugs to plug stuff in

#4 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:27 AM

You might find the link below very helpful, too. After you access the link, scroll down to "What size battery should I get?" Find out the power requirements for your equipment. For example, simply speaking, figure the CG5 runs at around 2 amps, so your 7Ah battery will last about 3.5 hours more or less for the CG5 alone. The 17Ah about 8 hours, again, just for the CG5. The 33Ah that Patrick suggests is nice, but be sure you have an understanding of all of your equipments' power requirements.
http://www.dewbuster...eries-power.htm

#5 InterStellarGuy

InterStellarGuy

Viking 1

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:53 AM

yea accept that doesnt look like a battery you can actualy plug into something :p lol
I think he was joking with me

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:24 AM

I have acquired a bunch of new equipment recently
including the CG5 ASGT mount and I am aware it uses more power then the alt az mount.

I have the CG5, a Orion Deep Sky imager Pro, and a laptop that will all need power. I currently have a Celestron power tank 7 and was thinking of acuqiring the 17 and having the Mount as well as the camera running off the 17, and the laptop on the 7. would this work, or am i going to need more juice?

This will work IF...you do very little go-to slewing and/or don't observe very long. A 17ah is the minimum for this very power hungry mount _and it does not like to share_...

:lol:

#7 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:26 AM

umm doesnt look like it has any plugs to plug stuff in

Well, no. But the cure is simple. Trot to your local automotive/sporting goods store where you will find a Thing with two alligator clips and a female cigarette lighter receptacle. Just be careful to clip positive to positive and negative to negative and you will be fine.

;)

#8 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:58 AM

I agree with Patrick's recommendation. With a laptop, the draw may be enough among all the piece parts to demand more reserve than a 17 Ah supply.

Do a little surfing over in the Equipment forum; going back a year or two there are several threads on power sources. Some are enclosed in a box with bells and whistles like the Celestron/Orion 17Ah units, some have been home build to enclose large capacity supplies with recharging and other utilities built into the box.

I used the 17Ah Orion power supply, and for visual use with a computer attached and frequent gotos I would only get about four hours of use at most. The big draw is the computer. Later I found some tricks to do to the laptop to triple the life on its own battery, so all the power tank now runs is the mount. Setting up your display and power functions in the computer will greatly reduce your needs. My laptop now runs almost 8 hours on the internal battery only, and I bought a spare to go with me on weekend star parties so I only have to charge it from the truck during daytime.

Visual use of the mount with lots of gotos is also pretty taxing. So is using my mount for satellite tracking. Can't do much about that except a deeper supply. But with the photography, the mount draw should be low with the variable being the draw of the imaging and guiding equipment.

In any event, I'd go surfing for a deeper supply than the 17Ah; start with the Equipment forum. Lots of information there.

#9 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

I think he was joking with me

Me??? Nah. :grin:

Seriously, here's what you need to make it work...available at Radio Shack. I actually use the 33 amp hour battery alone to power my mount. I have two 6 volt 220 amp hour golf cart batteries wired in series to provide 12 volts for all the other accessories.

Patrick

Attached Files

#10 InterStellarGuy

InterStellarGuy

Viking 1

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:25 PM

Is there a way to recharge it?

#11 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

Is there a way to recharge it?

Sure. You can get battery chargers a lot of different places...Sears, Tractor Supply, etc.

This is the One I use which uses 3 stage charging.

I learned the hard way the importance of keeping ANY battery properly charged, even the Power Pack kind of batteries. You can't use them and then neglect them unless you want a permanently dead battery. Good batteries are too expensive to not maintain them. Even though I don't use my batteries much over the winter, every month they're put on the charger for a tuneup.

Batteries can be a whole big subject all by themselves. :smirk:

Patrick

#12 dickbill

dickbill

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

My suggestion is to keep the battery for the CG5, for everthing else, laptop, dsi and usb adaptors (that have to be powered too) use....extension cords. I got a 150 feet of them, it's too complicated otherwise.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics