Photo

Just Ordered the EQ6 (Orion Atlas)!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Agnotio

Agnotio

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:50 PM

Hey people over at the mounts section. I'm now waiting for the package from my first major astronomy purchase to arrive. I plan to use the EQ6 (Go-To) for observing and astrophotography with a small refractor (80mm), working my way up later.

Any advice or info I should know? I'm curious as to what you might say to a newbie like myself in order to help me tackle the learning curve. Thanks for your input in advance.

#2 DonR

DonR

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

You'll love it. My EQ6-G (Atlas Go-To) purchase was the turning point for me between spending more time finding objects visually and observing the wondrous objects out there. And it signaled the beginning of my realization that meaningful astrophotography was achievable, after a couple of years of frustration mixed with occasional satisfaction.

If you're serious about astrophotography you should check out EQMOD and PHD Guiding (both freeware PC applications), and consider next acquiring something to use as a guide scope and guide camera.

Enjoy the EQ6!

Cheers,

#3 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

I'd recommend signing up on the EQ6 and EQMOD Yahoo! Users' Groups, and get a preview for what's happening. It's a great mount, especially for the price.

#4 Agnotio

Agnotio

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:27 AM

Yep, I will get on that EQMOD and start thinking about a guide scope. The Orion short-tube 80mm refractor seems like a likely choice. But first I need to get basic astrophoto accessories like a t-ring, focal reducer, and laptop!

Man there's lots to consider, but it's all great fun. I'm not usually a techie, but this stuff is just plain cool.

#5 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:41 AM

Start learning your polar alignment routine and local constellations,so you can choose the best alignment stars to quickly setup the mount.
Once aligned properly,the fun really begins.

#6 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:51 AM

So, ya think all that stuff is "just plain cool?" With EQMOD, not only is the picture taking just plain cool, you can track satellites; that's WAY cool!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics